Restricted Section Book Club discussion

Random > Favorite Under-Hyped Books?

Comments Showing 1-50 of 75 (75 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Kristina (new)

Kristina Horner (kristinahorner) | 111 comments Mod
What are some of your absolute FAVORITE under-hyped books?

message 2: by Abby (new)

Abby I never understood why no one had ever read The Mediator series as a teen. It was my absolute favorite and some of Meg Cabot's best work. Better than the Princess Diaries for sure.

message 3: by Mary (new)

Mary (bookzlover) The Midnighters trilogy by Scott Westerfeld. I feel like Uglies gets all the Westerfeld love, and they're great, but so is Midnighters.

The Rudie Librarian (Brian) (therudielibrarian) | 14 comments I love the Wildwood Trilogy by Colin Meloy (from the Decemberists).

message 5: by Vivian (new)

Vivian Hernandez | 2 comments Sabriel by Garth Nix - I read it as outside reading in high school and was completely floored by how dynamic it was.

message 6: by Taylor (new)

Taylor (wandsandwaterfalls) | 2 comments Abby wrote: "I never understood why no one had ever read The Mediator series as a teen. It was my absolute favorite and some of Meg Cabot's best work. Better than the Princess Diaries for sure."

I had a teacher give me the first novel in the series while I was at home recovering from a surgery one year in Jr High and FELL IN LOVE. I never did get around to reading the others for some reason (I should really do that), but it's SO much better than TPD, which is even a series I love. So. Good.

message 7: by Emm (new)

Emm (emmsprite) | 10 comments Abby wrote: "I never understood why no one had ever read The Mediator series as a teen. It was my absolute favorite and some of Meg Cabot's best work. Better than the Princess Diaries for sure."

oooh, I LOVED The Mediator Series! <3

message 8: by Laura (new)

Laura (lauralor) | 7 comments I don't think it received any hype at all but Being Elizabeth Bennet: Create Your Own Jane Austen Adventure is one of my favourites, it combines Austen with the old style "choose your own adventure" books. It matched perfectly because at the time I was watching the TV series "Lost in Austen".

message 9: by Alyssa (new)

Alyssa Dawson (adladybug) | 17 comments It's more of a middle grade series but I absolutely LOVE the Mother Daughter Book Club series by Heather Vogel Frederick. It's by far one of my top like three favorite series.

message 10: by Claire (new)

Claire Mckenna (claireemckenna) | 3 comments Wool by Hugh Howey and the entire Silo Saga series are truly fantastic works of science fiction, and they don't receive nearly the attention I think they should.

message 11: by Dilyana (new)

Dilyana | 2 comments Easy!! "The Mephisto Covenant" by Trinity Faegen/ Stephanie Feagan. After the second book she became a self published author and started using her real name Stephanie. There are currently 3 books out with the 4th one coming any day now( SOOO flipen excited here). It's YA fantasy and it ROCKS in every single way. Plus the author being self published kinda makes me want to support her more.

message 12: by Amanda (new)

Amanda Nicholas | 3 comments "The Handmaid's Tale" by Margaret Atwood is a fantastic dystopian novel that I feel doesn't get a lot of attention. I had to read it in high school, and it has stuck with me ever since.

message 13: by Annelie (new)

Annelie I really liked the "Of Poseidon" books, although they're basically just a fun read and not too deep - I still enjoyed them a lot!

message 14: by Courtney (new)

Courtney (mayclarke93) | 1 comments North and South by Elizabeth Gaskell is one that I really liked. It's often overlooked because of Pride & Prejudice, but it's a really good book (except for the ending!)

message 15: by Milly (new)

Milly Paris (numptyparis) | 13 comments Pretty much anything by Tamora Pierce but especially the Protector of the Small Quartet. It's so good! It's high fantasy about the first girl to ever train to be a knight. Honestly, if you've not read it, check it out!

message 16: by Ellie (new)

Ellie (elliewalker7) | 1 comments Mara dyer series!

message 17: by Jenna (last edited Oct 30, 2014 06:37AM) (new)

Jenna Owens (positivelyjenna) Amanda wrote: ""The Handmaid's Tale" by Margaret Atwood is a fantastic dystopian novel that I feel doesn't get a lot of attention. I had to read it in high school, and it has stuck with me ever since."

I love "The Handmaid's Tale"! One of my favorite Dystopian novels.

As for nonfiction "Into the Wild" is my favorite and I don't hear too many people talk about.

A great, fairly recent novel that doesn't get enough hype is "Tell the Wolves I'm Home". It's an amazing story.

message 18: by Kristen (new)

Kristen Mohr (runningwiththegnomes) The Girl Who Circumnavigated Fairyland in a Ship of Her Own Making!

I almost never hear people talking about this book and I absolutely adore it.

message 19: by Julia (last edited Oct 30, 2014 08:52AM) (new)

Julia (jshubler) | 2 comments Milly wrote: "Pretty much anything by Tamora Pierce but especially the Protector of the Small Quartet. It's so good! It's high fantasy about the first girl to ever train to be a knight. Honestly, if you've not r..."

My friend has been telling me to read Tamora Pierce since 6th grade and I still haven't read any. I really need to get on that!

My favorite under-hyped series is probably Magyk by Angie Sage. It's a great YA fantasy adventure series.

I also just read To Say Nothing Of The Dog by Connie Willis which John Green mentioned in a video one time. It has so many things that I love in books: Victorian England, mystery, humor, and time travel!

message 20: by Mat (new)

Mat | 41 comments Kit Pearson "a handful of time"... This one must have been popular somewhere because it won awards but I was the only one to take it out of the library for multiple years! I'd read it all in one go about once a year and as I opened up the cover on inside pocket their was my signature over and over lol something about that story always pulled me in.

message 21: by Mat (new)

Mat | 41 comments Kit Pearson "a handful of time"... This one must have been popular somewhere because it won awards but I was the only one to take it out of the library for multiple years! I'd read it all in one go about once a year and as I opened up the cover on inside pocket their was my signature over and over lol something about that story always pulled me in.

message 22: by Virginia (new)

Virginia (vlgrantham) | 7 comments Anything by Victoria Schwab. I adore her writing.

message 23: by Milly (new)

Milly Paris (numptyparis) | 13 comments Jules wrote: "Milly wrote: "Pretty much anything by Tamora Pierce but especially the Protector of the Small Quartet. It's so good! It's high fantasy about the first girl to ever train to be a knight. Honestly, i..."

You HAVE to read that series! Your friend is right, her books are awesome.

message 24: by Ava (new)

Ava I absolutely love The Rook. Fantasy novel where the main character wakes up in a familiar body, but with no idea what has happened to her. She finds out that she works for a secret agency that battles the supernatural. There is deception and mystery as she figures out what lead her to memory loss.

message 25: by Bianca (new)

Bianca | 3 comments Milly wrote: "Pretty much anything by Tamora Pierce but especially the Protector of the Small Quartet. It's so good! It's high fantasy about the first girl to ever train to be a knight. Honestly, if you've not r..."

YES, Tamora Pierce! I read all the books that take place in Tortall and love them, though Song of the Lioness is still my favourite. Did anybody read any other books by her?

message 26: by Michelle (new)

Michelle Graf Abby wrote: "I never understood why no one had ever read The Mediator series as a teen. It was my absolute favorite and some of Meg Cabot's best work. Better than the Princess Diaries for sure."

I read the 5th and 6th book, because that was all we had at my library. I have the first two now, so I will get to it! you won't be alone!

message 27: by Michelle (new)

Michelle Graf Kristen wrote: "The Girl Who Circumnavigated Fairyland in a Ship of Her Own Making!

I almost never hear people talking about this book and I absolutely adore it."

That whole series is so beautiful. None of my friends will read it, though. That happens with all the books I love.

message 28: by Michelle (new)

Michelle Graf For me, it feels like no one I know has read or will read the Abarat series by Clive Barker. I'm rereading it again, and I still love it, and I can't talk about it with anyone so far!

message 29: by Finbarr (new)

Finbarr (fionnbharr) | 10 comments A series of books that I don't hear much about but that I really enjoyed was the "Deverry cycle" by Katharine Kerr: just great Celtic-influenced high fantasy.

message 30: by Jez (new)

Jez (glejecomics) | 4 comments Babymouse by Jennifer L Holm and Matthew Holm. Favourite graphic novel series. It's hilarious and adorable

message 31: by Abby (new)

Abby (abbyzinger) | 15 comments Keeper of the Lost Cities. It's this stellar middle grade fantasy series about a girl who finds out she's a telepath and an elf and I just enjoyed it so hard but NO ONE talks about it!

message 32: by Jack (new)

Jack  (stormoak144) | 18 comments Mat wrote: "Kit Pearson "a handful of time"... This one must have been popular somewhere because it won awards but I was the only one to take it out of the library for multiple years! I'd read it all in one go..."

I loved that book! I still have it! Her other books are really good too. There is a trilogy about an English girl and her brother who go to live in Canada during the war. That was quite popular in my grade 8 class.

message 33: by Kylea (new)

Kylea | 39 comments I hadn't really thought about it but I book I enjoyed that I don't ever really hear anyone talk about is Picture the Dead by Adele Griffin and Lisa Brown.

message 34: by Tove (new)

Tove (tovemaria) | 6 comments I absolutely adore the Winter trilogy by Ruth Warburton!

message 35: by Sarah (new)

Sarah (smderad) Mary wrote: "The Midnighters trilogy by Scott Westerfeld. I feel like Uglies gets all the Westerfeld love, and they're great, but so is Midnighters."

I definitely agree with you. I remember DYING for the sequels to come out.

message 36: by Sarah (new)

Sarah (smderad) Jenna wrote: "Amanda wrote: ""The Handmaid's Tale" by Margaret Atwood is a fantastic dystopian novel that I feel doesn't get a lot of attention. I had to read it in high school, and it has stuck with me ever sin..."

I love the Handmaid's Tale as well! I discovered it this summer and wondered why I had never heard anyone talk about it before. So thought-provoking and good.

message 37: by Abby (new)

Abby (abcadab) | 36 comments Cirque Du Freak! My absolute favorite series of all time and more people need to read it!

message 38: by Sarah (new)

Sarah | 2 comments For series, The Across the Universe series by Beth Revis, the Birthmarked series by Caragh M. O'Brien, and the River of Time series by Lisa Tawn Bergren.

As far as solo books that I love, rereading The China Garden by Liz Berry is always a top contender.

message 39: by Abagail (new)

Abagail Lalumendre | 1 comments One of my all time favorite books is The Goose Girl by Shannon Hale. It's is just such a great read and nobody really knows about it. But I've read it multiple times and I never do that with books.

message 40: by Zara (new)

Zara (zarazara) Born Confused by Tanuja Desai Hidier and the Young Wizards series by Diane Duane. They're some of my absolute favorite books, and it's rare that I find someone who's even heard of them.

message 41: by Melissa (new)

Melissa | 28 comments EverWorld series by K.A. Applegate. Everyone seemed to love Animorphs and frankly it doesn't compare.

message 42: by Kathryn (new)

Kathryn Harnden | 1 comments Stolen by Lucy Christopher and Dark Inside series by Jeyn Roberts

message 43: by Ivy (new)

Ivy Deliz (ivydeliz) | 9 comments The Partials Sequence by Dan Wells!!!! So good and i don't understand why is not super popular in a world of popular dystopias.

message 44: by Kaitlyn (new)

Kaitlyn | 9 comments Everyone loves Rainbow Rowell, but I never hear anyone talk about her first novel, Attachments. I really loved it.

message 45: by Rebekah (new)

Rebekah May (rebekahmay) I don't really hear a lot of people talk about adult books and I don't really read much YA so it's hard for me to know how hyped books are :') But I haven't heard people talk much about the Wars of the Roses trilogy by Conn Iggulden. There's currently only two books out but they're just phenomenal. Iggulden is a big name in thw historical fiction world and I guess Stormbird and Trinity haven't been out long but they don't get anywhere near as much attention as his othed series!

message 46: by Katie (new)

Katie Dever | 1 comments Where things come back by John Corey Whaley! Such a good read

message 47: by Kylea (new)

Kylea | 39 comments Kathryn wrote: "Stolen by Lucy Christopher and Dark Inside series by Jeyn Roberts"

Oh, I love Stolen!

message 48: by Valeria (new)

Valeria (gladiolus_97) | 2 comments The Doll by J.C. Martin it's short but good

message 49: by Melissa (new)

Melissa | 28 comments I always thought EverWorld deserved the love that Animorphs received. Same with 1984 vs Animal Farm, I prefer Animal Farm, but 1984 gets the love.
Tik-Tok of Oz is underrated.
PHANTOM TOLLBOOTH.
Dear America series.
Catherine, Called Birdy.

....I didn't realize I had a list.

message 50: by Samantha (new)

Samantha (sibraver) | 18 comments the Guernsey literary and potato peel society someone please read it and friend me so we can discuss

« previous 1