Restricted Section Book Club discussion

note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
Archive > Reading During NaNoWriMo

Comments Showing 1-13 of 13 (13 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Kristina (new)

Kristina Horner (kristinahorner) | 111 comments Mod
This month many of us will be scrambling to write our coveted 1,667 words per day... and will hopefully emerge triumphant at the end with a sparkling, shiny 50,000 word novel.

But can you ALSO make time to read in November? What are your tips/tricks?

Consider this a NaNo Reading Support Group thread.

message 2: by Timothy (new)

Timothy Franco (timmywestside) Last year I was juggling a book for another book club, a book for personal enjoyment, and a book for school all in the month November. While I didn't quite hit my 50,000 word goal, I may have even forgotten to upload it to the website, I did discover that I was more productive in some places over others. Mostly, I did my best reading/writing in the quad at school and the Buena Vista Street Starbucks in California Adventure.

message 3: by Claire (new)

Claire Mckenna (claireemckenna) | 3 comments I actually think escaping into a good book helps me during NaNo and really any time I'm writing. I often hit points where I'm really dragging and picking up a book and just getting into another person's head and out of my own for a while helps a lot.

Sometimes I need to step away from my writing to be the most productive.

message 4: by Kristie (new)

Kristie I'm usually swamped as it is so i fit my reading into my travelling time, i usually get public transport everyday.

message 5: by Laura (new)

Laura (lauralor) | 7 comments This is the first year I'll be doing NaNoWriMo so I don't have any tricks, but I think because my topic is about a family illness and dealing with that I'll need to take time out to read to give myself a break.

message 6: by Virginia (new)

Virginia (vlgrantham) | 7 comments I think my approach is just to be prepared to write whenever and wherever I am in hopes of staying on track, regardless of whether I get any reading done or not. My reading goals will also be smaller, maybe just a few minutes a day...or maybe most days...or some days. We'll see!

message 7: by Kristina (new)

I think I'm just going to wait and see how difficult it is to get my word count in each day. If it's easy, then reading will be allowed! If it's hard... well... guess I gotta put the book down and focus.

message 8: by Jenna (new)

Jenna Owens (positivelyjenna) Kristina wrote: "I think I'm just going to wait and see how difficult it is to get my word count in each day. If it's easy, then reading will be allowed! If it's hard... well... guess I gotta put the book down and ..."

I'm a senior in high school so with college applications and an insane work load it's already super difficult to find time to read. My creative writing class has to participate in NaNo for a grade (not that I wouldn't participate anyway!) so I doubt I'll be able to squeeze in any reading time.
By the way Kristina, my creative writing teacher showed your NaNoWriMo song to our class today. He, another girl and I knew the words and sung it out loud. It was pretty awesome.

message 9: by Amanda (new)

Amanda Hicks Last year I gave myself a rule that I would only listen to audio-books while driving to and from work until I exceeded my daily word count.

I won't be participating this year due to current lack of sleep schedule while taking care of a 9-month-old. Instead I will be editing what I wrote last year instead.

message 10: by Jack (new)

Jack  (stormoak144) | 18 comments I try to read only after I have finished my daily word count. Normally I read before bed anyways, so that works.

Sadly I am living in a very isolated location and have little access to books and don't yet have a working e-reader, so I'm reading books on my computer. Sigh. Probably won't get much reading done like that, not after staring at a screen writing for hours.

message 11: by Amy (new)

Amy C (amy_c_books) | 20 comments This year I am using reading as my reward for reaching my goal count...We will see if that works or if it will be come a distraction :)

message 12: by Jez (new)

Jez (glejecomics) | 4 comments I think I'll try squeeze some reading in. Don't think that I'll get a lot due to nano taking place the same month as my exams, but we will see. I palm to read once I hit my word count for the day. Currently reading Mockingjay, and I want to finish before the movie comes out

message 13: by Kristina (new)

Jenna wrote: "Kristina wrote: "I think I'm just going to wait and see how difficult it is to get my word count in each day. If it's easy, then reading will be allowed! If it's hard... well... guess I gotta put t..."

That's SO AWESOME! I am blushing over here.

This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.