Sci-fi and Heroic Fantasy discussion

note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
Past nominations (closed) > December 2014 Contemporary Novel (closed)

Comments Showing 1-9 of 9 (9 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by [deleted user] (last edited Oct 29, 2014 08:14AM) (new)

Announcement chyron

This is the place to nominate a Contemporary Fantasy or Science Fiction novel for our December group read and discussion (beginning December 21.) A contemporary novel would typically have been first published in the 21st century.

You can review past nominees and selections in the Group's Bookshelf. (If you wish to continue a discussion of one of our past group selections, all those discussion topics are still open in our Book Discussions area.)

You need not have read the title you are nominating; after all, you'll be reading along. Feel free to say why you are making the nomination, if you care to. (If your nomination is selected by group vote, I'll be listing you as the discussion leader.)

Note that these are nominations for our December discussion topic. Weir's The Martian has already been selected as our November Contemporary Novel topic.

Nominations will be open through Tuesday, November 4, when I'll collect the nominees and post a poll so members can choose among them.

message 2: by [deleted user] (last edited Oct 29, 2014 08:16AM) (new)

Please keep in mind that this discussion would normally begin on December 21, which is right in the run-up to Christmas and New Year's Day, which are pretty busy times for a lot of people. If you plan to be traveling or shopping or sloshing eggnog, please consider skipping the selection process. (I'm not adverse to skipping it altogether if there is a general lack of interest.)

message 3: by Mike (new)

Mike Wilson | 113 comments My vote is to skip it due to Holidays

message 4: by Michele (last edited Oct 30, 2014 10:30AM) (new)

Michele | 274 comments Well, I don't read any less in December, but what about a sequel of something already done?

Or we could just say, read a book off the Group List that you haven't read yet for whatever reason. And then add to the discussion thread.

message 5: by Mike (new)

Mike Wilson | 113 comments Michele wrote: "Well, I don't read any less in December, but what about a sequel of something already done?

Or we could just say, read a book off the Group List that you haven't read yet for whatever reason. And ..."

I love the idea of a "catch up" month Michele! I change my nod to picking from Group List and joining a conversation.

message 6: by Ben (new)

Ben Rowe (benwickens) | 430 comments I would just go ahead as normal - the discussion lasts a month and it might just mean we get a bit less discussion for a couple of holiday days. On other times we might get more as some people will be reading more or having time off work. That said it might be good to go for something light, short and facilitating good cheer.

It might be a good time to read one of the books that is getting most buzz or love for the year. Something like The Goblin Emperor or one of the others mentioned here https://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/...

message 7: by Mary (new)

Mary Catelli | 710 comments The Goblin Emperor would be a good choice.

message 8: by [deleted user] (last edited Nov 05, 2014 05:54AM) (new)

Ben wrote: "It might be a good time to read one of the books that is getting most buzz or love for the year. Something like The Goblin Emperor ..."

Well, there being no actual nominations.... unless, Ben, did you intended to nominate The Goblin Emperor, or was that just an example? (by "nominate", I mean you're also going to take the lead in the discussion come Dec 21. :)

message 9: by Mike (last edited Nov 06, 2014 06:34PM) (new)

Mike Wilson | 113 comments I will be reading Brilliance by Marcus Sakey in December. If there is any interest I would be willing to take the lead while reading it (taking one for the team) ;)

This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.