Coffee Club with a Reading Problem discussion

Club Talk > Club Talk

Comments Showing 1-10 of 10 (10 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by DM, Decaf Hazelnut Latte (new)

DM Ziebarth (dmziebarth) | 75 comments Mod
What do you guys think about putting together a sort of questionnaire that we could individually fill out after we've read the month's book? Something to get conversation moving?

I was thinking something like:
Favorite character (and why)?
Least favorite character (and why)?
What did you think about the atmosphere?
What did you like/dislike most about the author's approach?

message 2: by K.N. (new)

K.N. (karmaplace) That sounds like a good idea. Maybe add:

What was your initial impression when you started the book? Did your opinion of the book change by the end? If so, why?

Based on this book, would you be interested in continuing the series (if applicable) and/or reading other books by the same author?

message 3: by DM, Decaf Hazelnut Latte (new)

Good questions! WAY better than mine ;)

message 4: by DM, Decaf Hazelnut Latte (new)

The internet has helped create the following questions:

How did you experience the book? Were you immediately drawn into the story--or did it take you a while?

Did the book intrigue, amuse, disturb, alienate, irritate, or frighten you?

Do you find the characters convincing? Are they believable? Compelling? Are they fully developed as complex, emotional human beings--or are they one-dimensional?

Which characters do you particularly admire or dislike? What are their primary characteristics?

What motivates a given character’s actions? Do you think those actions are justified or ethical?

Do any characters grow or change during the course of the novel? If so, in what way?

Who in this book would you most like to meet? What would you ask—or say?

If you could insert yourself as a character in the book, what role would you play? You might be a new character or take the place of an existing one.

Is the plot well-developed? Is it believable? Do you feel manipulated along the way, or do plot events unfold naturally, organically?

Is the story plot or character driven? In other words, do events unfold quickly? Or is more time spent developing characters' inner lives? Does it make a difference to your enjoyment?

Consider the ending. Did you expect it or were you surprised? Was it manipulative? Was it forced? Was it neatly wrapped up--too neatly? Or was the story unresolved, ending on an ambiguous note?

If you could rewrite the ending, would you? In other words, did you find the ending satisfying? Why or why not.

Can you pick out a passage that strikes you as particularly profound or interesting--or perhaps something that sums up the central dilemma of the book?

Does the book remind you of your own life? An event or situation? A person--a friend, family member, boss, co-worker?

If you were to talk with the author, what would you want to know?

message 5: by K.N. (new)

K.N. (karmaplace) Some of those are really good, and some are a little school report-y. I'm on my phone at the moment, but when I can get on my laptop would you mind if I reword/thin some of those down a bit?

message 6: by DM, Decaf Hazelnut Latte (new)

Kaitlin wrote: "Some of those are really good, and some are a little school report-y. I'm on my phone at the moment, but when I can get on my laptop would you mind if I reword/thin some of those down a bit?"

Sure! Be my guest :)

message 7: by K.N. (new)

K.N. (karmaplace) How's this look?

Coffee Club With a Reading Problem Monthly Book Questionnaire
Share what you thought about this month's book! Give as many details as you can!

1. What was your initial impression when you started the book? Were you immediately drawn into the story, or did it take you a while? Did your opinion of the book change by the end? If so, why?

2. Did the book intrigue, amuse, disturb, alienate, irritate, or frighten you, or did you have a different response to the book?

3. Did you find the characters convincing? Were they believable? Compelling? Did you consider them fully-developed or one-dimensional? Did they grow or change? Who were your favorite and least favorite characters (and why)?

4. Was the plot well-developed? Was it believable? Did you feel manipulated along the way, or did the plot events unfold naturally or organically?

5. Was the pacing of the story to your liking? Would you consider the story more plot-driven (events unfolding quickly) or character-driven (more time spent developing characters' inner lives), and did that style work?

6. Did you expect the ending or were you surprised? Did you find the ending satisfying, or did you want it to end a different way?

7. Based on this book, would you be interested in continuing the series (if applicable) and/or reading other books by the same author? Is there anything you'd like to ask the author after finishing their book?

message 8: by DM, Decaf Hazelnut Latte (new)

Looks good to me!

message 9: by Jodi (new)

Jodi | 13 comments I was just searching this idea online yesterday (before I saw this post). Great minds and all that.
I hope it helps stimulate conversation. To be honest, the lack of a rich conversation on the first book I read as a member has led to my lack of motivation to even start another. Maybe I killed conversation with a wall of opinion text? I'm new to this.

message 10: by DM, Decaf Hazelnut Latte (new)

Jodi wrote: ...I hope it helps stimulate conversation. To be honest, the lack of a rich conversation on the first book I read as a member has led to my lack of motivation to even start another. Maybe I killed conversation with a wall of opinion text? I'm new to this. "

We're all new to this. :) I know I'm having a hard time transitioning from meeting in person to talk about the book to talking online about the book. Plus, I have to remember that managing the group isn't the same as participating!

I'm sorry that the convo died after your last post. It's not because it wasn't a good post!