Transgressive Fiction discussion

3 week trip - what do I read?!?!

Comments Showing 1-6 of 6 (6 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Grace (new)

Grace (gracelessme) | 65 comments Hey Guys,
About to go on a 3 week work trip and looking for some suggestions for the time away.
I actually have heaps already pre-loaded on my kindle, but not feeling overly inspired. So please hit me with some suggestions - perhaps even your fave recent read.

I have just bought Necropolis by our mate Guy Portman which I'm really looking forward to.

And I am tempted to grab Requiem For A Dream after the recent chatter about Selby - do I need to read his books in any order?

So make me a suggestion please. Happy for it not to be in this genre IF you loved it.

message 2: by Jason (new)

Jason (jasondenness) | 246 comments I think you should read last exit to Brooklyn first as that is what I did, it was his first book.

You should read on the road seeing as you are on a trip.

Have you read Guy's first book? Charles middleworth, worth giving a go.

message 3: by Jason (new)

Jason (jasondenness) | 246 comments And for a book off genre I loved this, made me laugh loads.

The Hundred-Year-Old Man Who Climbed Out of the Window and Disappeared

message 4: by Grace (new)

Grace (gracelessme) | 65 comments Thanks for the suggestions, Jason! I didn't realise Necropolis want Guy's first book - will definitely dig further!

Funny you should mention On The Road. I read it as a mid teenager (16 or so) & really disliked it - I particularly recall thinking it was pretentious garbage. I have a sneaking suspicion that reading it again as an adult with some life experience I may well have a very different reaction to it. So thanks for prompting me.

Also, thanks for the Selby advice!

message 5: by Grace (new)

Grace (gracelessme) | 65 comments Hey Josh - thanks for your suggestions. Have read (& enjoyed) American Psycho by BEE, so you got my taste right :)

Good point re Requiem - I adore the film & can sense how desperately sad the book will be! my travel is for a work training course.

The Hitler book sounds great & I'm definitely adding to my want to read list. I am so now have Eminem stuck in my head!

message 6: by Jason (new)

Jason (jasondenness) | 246 comments That Hitler book looks really good, added to my list too.