You'll love this one...!! A book club & more discussion

Off Topic Chat > Sourdough Starter

Comments Showing 1-22 of 22 (22 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Sarah, Moderator (new)

Sarah | 18119 comments Anyone ever made a sourdough starter or kept one for a prolonged period and made things with it? I have never done so, but I'm thinking I might like to give it a go once I'm on my boat. Any tips? Recipes for making things with the starter?

message 2: by Rusalka, Moderator (new)

Rusalka (rusalkii) | 16732 comments Lexx's sister is a baker, so leave me with it. I will give you a yell after I come back from the weekend.

message 3: by Sarah, Moderator (new)

Sarah | 18119 comments Ooh thank you, that would be great!

message 4: by Kazen (new)

Kazen A quick search for Amish Friendship Bread may give you some more ideas - it's often used in a sweeter loaf than sourdough. ^^

message 5: by Janice, Moderator (new)

Janice (jamasc) | 47276 comments Yes, I kept a sourdough starter in a pot (like baked beans pot) on the stove ledge for a year or so. I used to bake all my own bread, and especially loved the sourdough. The sourdough bread you buy in the stores can't compare.

message 6: by Dawn (new)

Dawn (caveatlector) | 1641 comments My Mom did this when I was a kid and it's definitely far better than the store bought sourdough.

I've never tried it myself though.

message 7: by Sharon (new)

Sharon (alynor) | 298 comments I've kept a sourdough starter, although I let it die (again) this summer. I'm about to get another one going. It's like having a pet. If you don't want to make bread frequently (say, 3x/week at least), I'd recommend against sourdough because you may quickly tire of feeding the thing if you're discarding most of it. Every time you feed it (add more flour and water), you'll discard at least half of the starter. The good news is, if you're thrifty, you can use the excess starter for other things, like pancakes and even a delicious chocolate cake (the King Arthur flour website has lots of recipes).

message 8: by Sarah, Moderator (new)

Sarah | 18119 comments That's good to hear that some of you have been able to maintain the starter for a long time. I like the idea of being able to make my own bread and I did see that you can make pancakes, pizza bases and cake with excess starter so I will definitely be looking in to that. I read somewhere that if you keep the starter in the fridge, you only need to feed it once a week rather than every day if you leave it at room temperature - I think that's what I might try and then I won't have to bake so regularly. I will check out those website suggestions. Good to hear that it's better than shop bought sourdough too!

message 9: by Travis (new)

Travis (travistousant) | 5997 comments My wife never got inyo sourdough but buys whole grains. Wheat oats whatever your liking is and has a grain mill to grind her own flour. Sky is limit on types of bread but have not seen sourdough. It sounds a little like making yogurt. She makes our own yogurt just has to add a spoonful of store bought yogurt at least in the beginning then the "bugs" do their own thing so you can just keep making yogurt from yogurt basically

message 10: by Sarah, Moderator (new)

Sarah | 18119 comments You can make your own yogurt? That's amazing! We go through so much of the stuff - I'd never thought about making it myself (or even how it's done). I'm going to give this a go!

message 11: by Travis (new)

Travis (travistousant) | 5997 comments We have a 2 gallon pasteurizer in the house and basically unlimited supply of milk. I just took in 2 gallons for yogurt last night. Not sure how its done there is some heating on stove then the oven is warmed to such a temperature anf its all put in a dutch oven and placed in the oven which is now off but I know you'll get in big trouble if you open that oven door to let the heat escape where it stays for 8 hours then it gets wrapped in cheese cloth and put in fridge in a large bowl or deep casserole dish to allow excess water to drain and I have to dump water out at lunch time then by the time she gets home it goes into mason jars usually for easy fridge storage for us. It takes about 24 hours but human labor is maybe 30 minutes mostly its a lot of the yogurt sitting around

message 12: by Travis (new)

Travis (travistousant) | 5997 comments Then she bakes our own granola mix using whatever you like in your granola and we just mix granola with yogurt. Well granola gets put on a lot of things around our house

message 13: by Travis (new)

Travis (travistousant) | 5997 comments Might have to be unhomegenized milk I'm not sure we can oasteurize but not homogenize. She finds all this stuff on internet somewhere so the information is there someplace

message 14: by Sarah, Moderator (new)

Sarah | 18119 comments You can make granola? LOL! You know what I'm going to be doing soon - lots of cooking and our boat will be full of bread, yogurt and granola! Thanks for the info on the yogurt Travis - I will go and research it in more detail (and find some granola recipe ideas too!)

message 15: by Esther (new)

Esther (nyctale) | 4159 comments Sarah wrote: "You can make your own yogurt? That's amazing! We go through so much of the stuff - I'd never thought about making it myself (or even how it's done). I'm going to give this a go!"

I do too. It's so easy. If you do not have yogurt to start your batch, you can buy the "culture" in packets. Not only it is way cheaper but you can get the thickness you want, there is no sugar (for some reason, companies adds more sugar here than in Europe).

In my case, I boil 2 liters of milk, let it cool a bit and add culture (bought or leftover yogurt) then pour it in my yogurt maker and forget about it for 6-7 hours. ( about 4 for the standard thickness, but I like it more "greeky)

message 16: by Esther (last edited Oct 30, 2014 09:39AM) (new)

Esther (nyctale) | 4159 comments Travis of NNY wrote: "Then she bakes our own granola mix using whatever you like in your granola and we just mix granola with yogurt. Well granola gets put on a lot of things around our house"

In this, she has more patience than I do. I buy the stuff. :)

yogourt-granola and fresh berry mix is one of my favorite breakfast.

Sarah, I send you info on my fermenter. I am sure you can find the equivalent on your side of the pond.

message 17: by Travis (new)

Travis (travistousant) | 5997 comments The wifes granola is the best plus the kids love yogurt and granola for a snack

Glad you know a simpler way to make the yogurt too. I knew there were culture packs and different ways to do it but as long as the wife is happy with her way so am I

Niw she has been playing aroud making butter and buttermilk. That looks like way ttoo much work if you ask me

message 18: by Cherie (new)

Cherie (crobins0) | 19599 comments Sarah,

I used to make yogurt all of the time. We had a little electric warmer that had 4 containers. We used store bought plain yogart as a starter and we could use pasturised milk from the store too. I have no idea what happened to the yogurt maker.

My ex-room mate was the a gadget queen. If they had a gadget for it, she bought it. Maybe she still has it. :)

When I was home with my babies (before I had to start working) I used to make my own bread. I loved doing it. The house always smelled so good. We did not like sourdough too much, but I did try making a starter and keeping it alive. I kept it in the fridge too, and fed it when I thought about it. Eventually, it would get lost into a corner way in the back and I would find it when I cleaned out the "dead stuff".

My daughter had a lot of fun making the Amish Bread and experimenting with the different flavors.

message 19: by Sarah, Moderator (new)

Sarah | 18119 comments Yogurt, granola and fresh fruit is also one of our favourite breakfasts too - so easy, tasty and healthy too!

My mum is a bit of a kitchen gadget collector too. But she tends to get bored easily with them and palm them off on to me. Unfortunately, no yogurt maker! (Yet!)

message 20: by Rusalka, Moderator (new)

Rusalka (rusalkii) | 16732 comments My Dad of all people gave us a yoghurt maker. You need packets for it though, and we didn't use it coz it wasn't good for Mr "i don't have a pancreas". But dad used it and I just found out Mum has one too. So sounds like a good plan. Slightly bigger than a wine cooler.

Sourdough, sounds like you have good suggestions already, and I forgot about it. But yes, leave with me again.

message 21: by Sarah, Moderator (new)

Sarah | 18119 comments Cool! I just found that you can make yogurt in a slow cooker so I might have to give that a go. And apparently you can bake sourdough bread it one too! Who knew?!

message 22: by Cherie (new)

Cherie (crobins0) | 19599 comments I have a friend who makes pita bread all of the time. She uses her bread machine to mix and proof the dough, and then she takes the dough out and divides it into the pita bread sizes. She is darn good at it now, and the bread is wonderful.