Brantford Public Library's Online Book Club discussion

Medicine Walk
This topic is about Medicine Walk
Medicine Walk > Are FATHERS Replaceable?

Comments Showing 1-3 of 3 (3 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Brantford (last edited Oct 29, 2014 05:27AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Brantford Public Library | 453 comments Mod
The Old Man played a powerful but subtle role in Franklin's life.

Was he able to fill the void that was left by Franklin's absent father?

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Anna (iudita) | 450 comments I think the old man did a marvelous job of being a caregiver and role model for Franklin and by doing so he probably filled a lot of the father role. But I still think that a child that has been rejected or neglected by their biological father would feel that rejection deeply. I don't know if having a father figure, even a really good one like the old man, can compensate for that emotional loss

Karen (karen1278) | 428 comments I agree, Anna, I don't think it can make up for that bond or connection a child and Father should have. Otherwise, we wouldn't have so many people today looking for a birth parent.
But, I think the Old Man stepped up. I have the utmost respect and admiration for how he nurtured and supported Franklin. And there is love and respect and they are at ease with one another. When Franklin comes home and picks up the board to assist the Old Man with his work in the barn, they have a rhythm in their movements.