Devon Book Club discussion

24 views
Archive > Books for young children

Comments Showing 1-30 of 30 (30 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Megan (new)

Megan Chaplin | 22 comments Hi all, I have a 17 month daughter and I really hope she loves reading as much as I do. I was wondering if anyone had any books they'd recommend - particular classics that you enjoy reading with your children / grandchildren or even books you remember as a child. Here's a few to start us off:
Hungry Caterpillar
The Gruffulo (or anything by Julia Donaldson)
Dear Zoo
Each Peach Pear Plum (beautiful illustrations)
The Merry Marmots - this was read to me by my Dad so has special memories and I've still got it now


message 2: by Angela (new)

Angela Hobbs | 222 comments Hi Megan -what agreat idea for a new thread!Here's some suggestions based on picture books which our girls enjoyed:anything published by Dorling Kindersley as the illustrations were always spot on; Owl BabiesOwl Babies; Guess How Much I Love You Guess How Much I Love You: Look What I Can Do: A First Concepts Book; all books by the AhlbergsAhlberg, Allan; The Wind in the Willows - an old Ladybird edition; We're going on a Bear HuntWe're Going on a Bear Hunt and anything else by Michael Rosen.Later on, Roald Dahl and Enid Blyton were popular, plus a series of books with the general title of Puppy Patrol!Puppy School - I could go on, we have boxes of books sat in our loft!


message 3: by Angela (new)

Angela Hobbs | 222 comments Also meant to include Amazing GraceAmazing Grace a very positive and can-do story which tackles the issues of race and gender from a young child's perspective -brilliant!


message 4: by Ian (new)

Ian | 2998 comments Mod
Megan wrote: "Hi all, I have a 17 month daughter and I really hope she loves reading as much as I do. I was wondering if anyone had any books they'd recommend - particular classics that you enjoy reading with y..."

Excellent choice of topic Megan - I'll post this to the Facebook page as well. Shows the range we are discussing. What would also be great is if, in future, you could add the book link by clicking on add book/author - I'm adding them here The Very Hungry Caterpillar; Julia Donaldson; Dear Zoo: A Lift-the-Flap Book; Each Peach Pear Plum;

Did you know that there is a Merry Marmots Festival? (I didn't) - check it out https://www.facebook.com/events/42009...

I would also add Owl Babies - so sweet.

Now I want your child so that I can live all that joy again.
Thanks for starting this lovely topic


message 5: by Ian (last edited Oct 29, 2014 11:53AM) (new)

Ian | 2998 comments Mod
Or as they get older, books by our local authors like Michael Morpurgo Private Peaceful was a favourite with our girls; or the Horrible Histories by Nick Arnold


message 6: by Ian (new)

Ian | 2998 comments Mod
just posted a link on Facebook to a Devon Bookstart event in Braunton that might interet local members with small children

https://www.facebook.com/MiriamLatime...


message 7: by Lynda (new)

Lynda Bowler | 6 comments Megan wrote: "Hi all, I have a 17 month daughter and I really hope she loves reading as much as I do. I was wondering if anyone had any books they'd recommend - particular classics that you enjoy reading with y..."

Maurice Sendak - 'Where the Wild Things Are' was always a favourite along with Dr Seuss books like The Cat in the Hat.


message 8: by Carol (new)

Carol Dobson | 800 comments I know that Enid Blyton is not fashionable these days for various reasons, but one of the most exciting books I read as a child was Valley of Adventure.


message 9: by Megan (new)

Megan Chaplin | 22 comments Thank you everyone. We also have Guess How Much I Love You and We're Going on a Bear Hunt. You know for some reason I really didn't like The Cat in the Hat. Funny isn't it?! What I really like is that when left to her own devices my daughter will go to her bookshelf and take random books off and flick through them by herself so already she has a love of books. I'm looking forward to reading Twas the night before Christmas. Perhaps a thread on Christmas books Ian?


message 10: by Ian (new)

Ian | 2998 comments Mod
Carol wrote: "I know that Enid Blyton is not fashionable these days for various reasons, but one of the most exciting books I read as a child was Valley of Adventure."

i loved those series too - the secret island/mountain etc series too. my daughter devoured them and they are in the loft awaiting a third generation 9not that I want my girls to rush on that score)


message 11: by Ian (new)

Ian | 2998 comments Mod
Megan wrote: "Thank you everyone. We also have Guess How Much I Love You and We're Going on a Bear Hunt. You know for some reason I really didn't like [book:The Cat in the Hat|23309..."

Great idea.
Sounds like your hope that Hazel will love books is already being fulfilled - with a mum like you, not much chance she'll hate them - I am sure youll fill her world with magic and adventure


message 12: by Sonia (new)

Sonia | 34 comments My boys enjoyed Slobcat, Dinosaur Roar! Board Book and Little Red Plane. When they were older they enjoyed The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe, Peter Pan and Alice in Wonderland. Takes a lot to beat the joy of remembering reading to them and now seeing them make their own choices about what they will read.


message 13: by Ian (new)

Ian | 2998 comments Mod
Sonia wrote: "My boys enjoyed Slobcat, Dinosaur Roar! Board Book and Little Red Plane. When they were older they enjoyed [book:The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe|1..."

Game of Thrones?


message 14: by Sonia (new)

Sonia | 34 comments Ahh yes. Game of Thrones. Boy1 loved it. Did give it a go myself and can see the appeal but have up halfway through... Boy2 yet to read it. But mr b loved it too...


message 15: by Ian (new)

Ian | 2998 comments Mod
I remember you guarding your loins to give it a try


message 16: by Sonia (new)

Sonia | 34 comments It is without a doubt a great story - lots of pace etc but just too cliched for me and a big investment of time to commit to. Maybe comparable in writing style and appeal to The Thornbirds of my teenage years. Not sniffy about it! Just not my bag!


message 17: by Ian (new)

Ian | 2998 comments Mod
Ian wrote: "I remember you guarding your loins to give it a try"

girding even


message 18: by Ian (new)

Ian | 2998 comments Mod
Sonia wrote: "It is without a doubt a great story - lots of pace etc but just too cliched for me and a big investment of time to commit to. Maybe comparable in writing style and appeal to The Thornbirds of my t..."

yes, lots of people are really enjoying the series. Like you, not one I'd choose but it would be very boring if we all liked the same books


message 19: by Megan (new)

Megan Chaplin | 22 comments I'd been reminded of another childhood favourite this week - Burglar Bill. "I'll have that said Burglar Bill". Anyone else enjoy


message 20: by Lizzie (new)

Lizzie Howard | 8 comments A book I find hilarious at 22 years old is 'The Mole Who Knew it was None of His Business'...Might be a book for when your daughter is slightly older.

As an Early Childhood practitioner I would recommend any books which have more sensory features- mirrors, bumpy/rough/soft materials, flaps, pulls. There is a series called 'thats not my...' which children I have worked with at that age have enjoyed- they are simple and short to follow as well!


message 21: by Lizzie (new)

Lizzie Howard | 8 comments Megan wrote: "I'd been reminded of another childhood favourite this week - Burglar Bill. "I'll have that said Burglar Bill". Anyone else enjoy"

I loved Burglar Bill and the Lighthouse Keeper!


message 22: by Ian (new)

Ian | 2998 comments Mod
Lizzie wrote: "A book I find hilarious at 22 years old is 'The Mole Who Knew it was None of His Business'...Might be a book for when your daughter is slightly older.

As an Early Childhood practitioner I would re..."


That's interesting LIzzie. I guess that ties in with child development? Can't find that one on the Goodreads site - was that also by Werner Holzwarth? - he has written another mole book that sounds like it might be in the same series


message 23: by Lizzie (new)

Lizzie Howard | 8 comments Yes it 100% links with their development but through it experience these type are books that most children like to engage in!

Yes! That author rings a bell!


message 24: by Ian (new)

Ian | 2998 comments Mod
Lizzie wrote: "Yes it 100% links with their development but through it experience these type are books that most children like to engage in!

Yes! That author rings a bell!"


am sure you are right = Harriet loved Bobby Bear, Owl Babies and many more - ask her next time you talk to her


message 25: by Lizzie (new)

Lizzie Howard | 8 comments Oooo I think my nan still has my bobby bear book! Not a fan of owl babies...


message 26: by Ian (new)

Ian | 2998 comments Mod
Lizzie wrote: "Oooo I think my nan still has my bobby bear book! Not a fan of owl babies..."

you'll have to ask for a tour of our loft - an early childhood practitioners heaven!


message 27: by Ian (new)

Ian | 2998 comments Mod
Thought I'd have a look for books about bonfire night as I couldn't think of any. Found this - it looks sweet - anyone read it or know of any others?

It is the tale of Hovis the hedgehog. Who has to say a sad farewell to his home, as it is being used for a bonfire on Guy Fawkes night. He scurries to the nearby forest to find shelter and a new home. Apparently beautifully illustrated.Hovis the Hedgehog: Bonfire Night


message 28: by B J (new)

B J Burton (bjburton) | 314 comments It's a long, long time since I had a child approaching two, but when our granddaughter was that age her favourite was Calm Down, Boris!.


message 29: by Ian (new)

Ian | 2998 comments Mod
B J wrote: "It's a long, long time since I had a child approaching two, but when our granddaughter was that age her favourite was Calm Down, Boris!."

My daughters was Bobby Bear and Owl Babies


message 30: by Ian (new)

Ian | 2998 comments Mod
For news and discussion on children's books:
https://www.facebook.com/groups/Books...


back to top