Jim Goforth Horror Author discussion

Other writers > Favourite horror authors

Comments Showing 1-19 of 19 (19 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Jim (new)

Jim Goforth | 67 comments Mod
Of course, this is a pretty common topic, comes up in just about every group vaguely related to horror writing, but since I'm still in the process of working out the whole Goodreads deal, including creating a group and how to work that, I figured I would start with something basic.
I have a wide spread of favourite horror authors myself, and got into reading horror very early, but my number one is, always has been and probably always will be, Richard Laymon.
I discovered him in the early nineties through the first book of his I read, Darkness, Tell Us (still a fav, I still have the very same copy I read way back then) and I never looked back.
His work helped hone and shape the way I wrote my own stories, and he remains my chief influence and inspiration. Prior to that, I was very much into Graham Masterton, Shaun Hutson, Clive Barker, old Koontz, old King. Mark Morris, Bryan Smith, Edward Lee, Brian Keene, Bentley Little, Simon Clark, Stephen Laws are just a few other names I dig. The list is pretty long and extensive.

message 2: by Catt (new)

Catt Dahman | 1 comments King, Laymon,and Edward Lee for fun...Thomas Tryon, Gary Jennings and many others.

message 3: by Jim (new)

Catt wrote: "King, Laymon,and Edward Lee for fun...Thomas Tryon, Gary Jennings and many others."

Thomas Tryon has some wonderful works. Harvest Home and The Other spring to mind.

message 4: by T.S. (new)

T.S. | 6 comments KING, Hill, Poe, John F.D. Taff, Thomas Harris (really only the one series, but it was a great series).

This only related to horror, right?

message 5: by T.S. (new)

T.S. | 6 comments KING, Hill, Poe, John F.D. Taff, Thomas Harris (really only the one series, but it was a great series).

This only related to horror, right?

message 6: by T.S. (new)

T.S. | 6 comments Did'nt mean to do that twice. Sorry, Jim.

message 7: by Jim (new)

T.S. wrote: "KING, Hill, Poe, John F.D. Taff, Thomas Harris (really only the one series, but it was a great series).

This only related to horror, right?"

No, it can extend to any genre you like :)

message 8: by Jim (new)

T.S. wrote: "KING, Hill, Poe, John F.D. Taff, Thomas Harris (really only the one series, but it was a great series).

This only related to horror, right?"

No, it can extend to any genre you like :)

message 9: by Jim (new)

Well, technically I titled it favourite horror authors, but we'll broaden it to include any author.

message 10: by Mark (new)

Mark Woods (sparkymarky1973) | 2 comments

message 11: by Matt (last edited Nov 11, 2014 03:10AM) (new)

Matt King, laymon, shan, hutson, herbert.

message 12: by Michael (new)

Michael Benavidez for me it's King, Clive Barker, Poe, and Stuart Keane is one i'm slowly becoming quite fond of.

message 13: by Jim (new)

Michael wrote: "for me it's King, Clive Barker, Poe, and Stuart Keane is one i'm slowly becoming quite fond of."

Great call. Stuart is definitely going to be one of the names in modern horror to be keeping an eye on for sure. Lots of good stuff coming out from him.

message 14: by Jim (new)

Matt wrote: "King, laymon, shan, hutson, herbert."

Excellent names right there.

message 15: by Lisa (new)

Lisa Sandberg (lisasandberg) | 16 comments I have to say, Brian Keene is a favorite, as well as Stephen King.

Then there are my favorite up and coming authors, of course you,Jim Goforth, Kyle M. Scott, Stuart Keane, and Matt Shaw.

message 16: by Jim (new)

Lisa wrote: "I have to say, Brian Keene is a favorite, as well as Stephen King.

Then there are my favorite up and coming authors, of course you,Jim Goforth, [auth..."

Cheers Lisa! Some great names in there. And, of course me... ;)

message 17: by Michael (new)

Michael (michaelnoe) | 7 comments As a writer Laymon was huge but vintage King and Edward Lee are just as huge. There have always been certain books I always fall back on more than authors though

message 18: by Jim (new)

Michael wrote: "As a writer Laymon was huge but vintage King and Edward Lee are just as huge. There have always been certain books I always fall back on more than authors though"

I'm similar in that regard. Other than my standards like Laymon, Lee, Keene,Bryan Smith, Bentley Little etc, Graham Masterton's 'Walkers', Koontz 'Watchers', Barker's 'Cabal' and Thomas Page 'The Spirit' are a few books I can read over and over and over again.

message 19: by Lisa (new)

Lisa Sandberg (lisasandberg) | 16 comments Jim wrote: "Lisa wrote: "I have to say, Brian Keene is a favorite, as well as Stephen King.

Then there are my favorite up and coming authors, of course you,[author:Jim Goforth|77..."

Of course! :)