Allegiant (Divergent, #3) Allegiant discussion

Does dystopian fiction affect young readers? - SURVEY

Comments Showing 1-14 of 14 (14 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Eleanor (last edited Nov 16, 2014 01:06AM) (new)

Eleanor Katherine I'm doing an EPQ (Extended Project Qualification) at school at the moment, entitled "How has the dystopian genre influenced the political or ethical views of young people in modern society?", and it would really help me out if people could just really quickly fill out a quick survey for me - it's only 9 questions, none of which require too much thought! Here's the link - https://www.surveymonkey.com/s/LV8R3LW

Thank you!

UPDATE: the survey is now closed - I've received 200 replies so thank you to everyone who participated!

message 2: by Holly (new)

Holly Wood Hi, I just completed your survey. I thought I should help because I'm also asking people to answer focus questions for a maths assignment to do with data and I know it helps when people participate in answering the questions.

message 3: by Eleanor (new)

Eleanor Katherine Holly wrote: "Hi, I just completed your survey. I thought I should help because I'm also asking people to answer focus questions for a maths assignment to do with data and I know it helps when people participate..."

I really appreciate it, thanks!

message 4: by Holly (new)

Holly Wood Eleanor wrote: "Holly wrote: "Hi, I just completed your survey. I thought I should help because I'm also asking people to answer focus questions for a maths assignment to do with data and I know it helps when peop..."

Thats ok, I'm glad to help :)

Violet I filled it in, Hope it helps :)

Quietly Fades I filled it in. Insightful questions, although I definitely couldn't fill in all the dystopian books I've read :)

Quietly Fades I filled it in. Insightful questions, although I definitely couldn't fill in all the dystopian books I've read :)

message 8: by Eleanor (new)

Eleanor Katherine Akansha wrote: "I filled it in. Insightful questions, although I definitely couldn't fill in all the dystopian books I've read :)"

Yeah, I wouldn't expect everyone to fill in every single dystopian book, but any is helpful! Thank you for filling it in haha

message 9: by Eleanor (new)

Eleanor Katherine Violet wrote: "I filled it in, Hope it helps :)"

It will, believe me! Thank you!

Mary Just took your survey! Hope it helps! :)

message 11: by Eleanor (new)

Eleanor Katherine Mary wrote: "Just took your survey! Hope it helps! :)"

Thank you!

James Hi Mary, I have completed the survey and I found it very interesting for a survey. Thank you for sharing this link on Goodreads.

Sic Transit Gloria I took your survey, and I have a question: What is your operational definition of "dystopian fiction"?

message 14: by Eleanor (new)

Eleanor Katherine The definition I have at the top of the survey is "a genre in which the book is set in a flawed society which can explore political and ethical issues, and is generally written with the purpose of influencing the readers and pointing out flaws in the current society. They can overlap with other genres, and are often mistaken for science fiction. Some books included in the dystopian genre are: The Hunger Games trilogy by Suzanne Collins, 1984 by George Orwell, The Maze Runner series by James Dashner, Brave New World by Aldous Huxley and the Divergent trilogy by Veronica Roth."

The dystopian genre has a few definitions, all of which centre around the idea of the setting being very much a polar opposite to a Utopia, though sometimes masquerading as one to the characters involved.