The Hydrogen Sonata (Culture #10) The Hydrogen Sonata discussion

What to read after the Culture books?

Comments Showing 1-16 of 16 (16 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by E. (new) - rated it 5 stars

E. Kahn 2/3s of the way through Hydrogen Sonata. Once I finish, there's no more Culture.

Is there anything as good and in (roughly) the same spirit out there, or can I safely give up on SciFi and go back to literary fiction and vaguely subversive history?

Bruno Corticelli Great North Road by Peter Hamilton
Ancillary Justice by Ann Leicke
The prefect by alastair Reynolds
House of suns by Alastair Reynolds

Paulius Liškauskas agent cormac series by Neal Asher https://www.goodreads.com/series/4912...

Kace All Alastair Reynolds
Non-Culture Banks
the Expanse
Ann Leckie
Old Man's War and sequels
Hyperion Cantos
A lot of people like Neal Asher though I'm not a huge fan.

message 5: by E. (new) - rated it 5 stars

E. Kahn Zachary wrote: "I'd third Alastair Reynolds, but I'd also ask: what appeals to you about Banks? I like him, mind, and I think he was a pretty good writer, but I'm always a bit stunned when people call what he does..."

I like the whole package. I think if a book had, say, world building comparable to Banks' but less skilled writing I'd enjoy it much less, but the world building is what I'm really in for with the Culture books.

William You could try John Meaney's Mu-Space books they are very good.I just finished them all 7 books. Also try Gary Gibson, James S.A Corey, Neal Asher and John C Wright's The Golden Age trilogy was very good and Jeffrey Carver's Chaos-Chronicles and Peter F Hamilton's Commonwealth secquence is te best.

Colin Mitchell Not in the same league but interesting enough. Lost Fleet series by Jack Campbell.

message 8: by Ed (new) - rated it 4 stars

Ed Morawski Bruno Corticelli wrote: "Great North Road by Peter Hamilton
Ancillary Justice by Ann Leicke
The prefect by alastair Reynolds
House of suns by Alastair Reynolds"

'House of Suns' was excellent. One of my favorites.

Nick Lloyd Hyperion Cantos

William Yes, how could I forget. Hyperion Cantos, if you like world building you must read the whole series, also House of the Suns by Alastair Reynolds, The AlgebraIst from Ian M. Banks, Known Space from Larry Niven and The Kefahuchi Tract series from M. John Harrison, also liked Ancillary books from Ann Leckie

message 11: by Jim (new) - rated it 4 stars

Jim Mcclanahan Reynolds and Asher are solid recommendations.

Marcel Try
- neal asher - polity series (read in series order, not release date!)
- dan simmons - hyperion
- alistair reynolds - house of suns, revelaton space
- richard morgan - altered carbon
- richard hamilton - new north road
- stanislaw lem - transfer (okok that's a bit older)
- frank herbert - dune (okok, also a classic)

message 13: by Ed (new) - rated it 4 stars

Ed Morawski Loved, loved, House of Suns and Altered Carbon (Groundbreaking (IMHO)

message 14: by James (last edited Feb 13, 2018 09:07AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

James Murdo I realise the starting comment was written some years ago, but I was similarly wondering what to read next after The Hydrogen Sonata! Completely agree with all of the authors who have already been mentioned, and would like to add two others:

- David Brin (e.g. Uplift trilogy)
- Charles Stross (e.g. Singularity Sky)

They’re not in the same spirit as the Culture books, but I’d class them with many of the above authors for quality.

Wayne Another shout out for House of Suns! By far the best of his that I've read. The rest are variable from pretty good to dire.

message 16: by Harrie (new) - added it

Harrie Just like to add Kevin J Anderson, The Saga of Seven Suns books.