English Mysteries Club discussion

note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
Book of the Month pre-2020 > December 2014

Comments Showing 1-12 of 12 (12 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Leslie (new)

Leslie | 1663 comments I will renominate Michael Innes' Appleby's End.

message 2: by Ellen (new)

Ellen | 146 comments I nominate Dying in the Wool by Frances Brody.

message 3: by C.J. (new)

C.J. (cjverburg) | 232 comments Ellen, then we should also read Ngaio Marsh's Died in the Wool - one of her few set in her native NZ

message 4: by Carol She's So Novel꧁꧂ (last edited Nov 02, 2014 03:40PM) (new)

Carol She's So Novel꧁꧂ If it's not too confusing, can I second Carol's nomination of Died in the Wool? :D

Arpita (BagfullofBooks) (bagfullofbooks) | 157 comments I'd like to nominate a classic british crime novel Mystery in White by Farjeon. It's set around Christmas Eve. The book is available on kindle at present.

message 7: by Lesley (new)

Lesley How about a truly classic British mystery that is thought to be the very first detective mystery published, and was reprinted just recently (2010 I think).

The Notting Hill Mystery by Charles Warren Adams

message 8: by Everyman (new)

Everyman | 102 comments ***Carol*** wrote: "If it's not too confusing, can I second Carol's nomination of Died in the Wool? :D"

I'll third it. A neat book by a superb classic author.

message 9: by Everyman (new)

Everyman | 102 comments Ella's Gran wrote: "How about a truly classic British mystery that is thought to be the very first detective mystery published, and was reprinted just recently (2010 I think).

The Notting Hill Mystery..."

Google has "The Notting Hill Mystery" but by Charles Felix, not by Charles Warren Adams. Same author??
http://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/searc...

message 10: by Lesley (last edited Nov 04, 2014 05:59PM) (new)

Lesley Yes, same author Everyman. Charles Felix was the pen-name used by Adams. It seems when they have re-published it they have used the proper name over the pen-name. For a library cataloger this is questionable, however, Charles Warren Adams is what you'll find the book and editions under in Goodreads.

ETA: Incidentally this is another of those books that was originally published in serial form.

message 11: by Dee (new)

Dee I second the nomination for[ the book:Mystery in White|23350057]it is a classic and sounds "Christmasy"

message 12: by Sandy (new)

Sandy | 83 comments Arpita wrote: "I'd like to nominate a classic british crime novel Mystery in White by Farjeon. It's set around Christmas Eve. The book is available on kindle at present."

I also second this nomination - sounds good and I've already added my name to the library request list

This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.