SSG: Spy/Spec-Ops Group discussion

The Sinkiang Executive
This topic is about The Sinkiang Executive
Random Chats > best aerial adventures

Comments Showing 1-15 of 15 (15 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Feliks, Moderator (last edited Oct 28, 2014 09:31PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Feliks (dzerzhinsky) | 1128 comments Mod
Its easy to describe SEAL ops, if you only write about them in SCUBA gear. How many authors emphasize aerial warfare? Aerial mayhem? Toss out some names!

message 2: by Michel (new)

Michel Poulin | 207 comments Tom Clancy did describe quite a few air battles or actions by combat aircraft in many of his novels, notably in Red Storm Rising and The Bear and the Dragon.

message 3: by Feliks, Moderator (last edited May 09, 2015 07:11PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

...that's for sure. that's for DANG sure

message 4: by Feliks, Moderator (last edited Oct 28, 2014 09:55PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Craig Thomas's Firefox

(movie with Clint Eastwood as well!)

message 5: by Feliks, Moderator (new) - rated it 5 stars

The Bridges of Toko-Ri

message 6: by Henry (new)

Henry Brown (machinetrooper) | 40 comments I can't recommend Rolling Thunder (Mark Berent) highly enough. The only reason I haven't read the rest of his Wings of War series is I have too many obligations and not nearly enough time.

Anyway, not only is the aerial warfare great, but there's a sneaky pete character, too, so you get a little bit of SpecOps on the ground, as well.

message 7: by Henry (new)

Henry Brown (machinetrooper) | 40 comments Feliks wrote: "that's for sure. that's for DANG sure"

I'm REALLY curious if I'm the only one nerd enough here to place that line.

message 8: by Feliks, Moderator (last edited May 09, 2015 07:04PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

heh heh

Just a charmer, a beaut of a film. I like when the kid goes:
"Sgt..?"
"Yeah, what?"
"My name's Layton. Jim Layton."

(funny look)
"I know it is--"

or:
"They don't care...they just don't care"

A lot of people scoff at 'Battle of the Bulge' too but the scenes with Telly Savalas are hilarious. And the tanks, and friggin scary-as-hell Robert Shaw and his theory of endless war

message 9: by Feliks, Moderator (last edited May 09, 2015 06:57PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

yup. know it well! there's also a radio version.

Biggles Flies East
Biggles Flies West
Biggles Defies the Swastika

message 10: by Feliks, Moderator (new) - rated it 5 stars

in terms of nonfiction the best aerial writing I've found is this:

Phantom over Vietnam: Fighter Pilot, USMC
Phantom over Vietnam Fighter Pilot, USMC by John Trotti

Overflowing with technical details of jet operation, yet a hugely gripping and engaging narrative. Amazing feat of authorship.

message 11: by Feliks, Moderator (new) - rated it 5 stars

I'll add Mark Berents to our shelves. He's new/recent, I reckon?

message 12: by Henry (last edited May 10, 2015 07:41AM) (new)

Henry Brown (machinetrooper) | 40 comments No, I had that paperback collecting dust since the '80s, I think. Might never have got around to it if I hadn't got to know Jim Morris (War Stary, Above and Beyond, Devil's Secret Name, Fighting Men). The two of them are pals and Jim recommended his work after he shared a photo of those two, W.E.B. Griffin (can't remember his real name) and G Gordon Liddy at some convention and I asked "What's Mark Berent's claim to fame?"

He's got a webpage with some autobiographical details worth a look, plus he's got several free articles and short stories on Amazon.

message 13: by Roger (last edited Jun 04, 2015 09:30AM) (new)

Roger Cave | 47 comments You could alway try Stephen Coontz
Flight of the Intruder

Or Dale Brown
Flight of the Old Dog
Sky Masters
Night of the Hawk

I used to read a lot of Dale Browns.

message 14: by Henry (new)

Henry Brown (machinetrooper) | 40 comments Forgot about Flight of the Intruder!

message 15: by Feliks, Moderator (new) - rated it 5 stars

already in our shelf! I don't read many (modern) aerial romps but I did, that one