This topic is about When the Lion Feeds
Random Chats > Wilbur Smith!

Comments Showing 1-6 of 6 (6 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Feliks, Moderator (new)

Feliks (dzerzhinsky) | 1098 comments Mod
Know whut ah'm talkin' bout?

message 2: by Henry (new)

Henry Brown (machinetrooper) | 40 comments Heck yeah! Found Triumph of the Sun in the library, and have been a fan ever since.

message 3: by Feliks, Moderator (last edited May 16, 2015 07:30AM) (new)

Very confident author. He sure knew how to tell a story.

Besides the infamous 'Dark of the Sun' there were a couple flicks adapted from his works: 'Gold' starring Roger Moore, and 'Shout at the Devil' with Moore and Lee Marvin. There's even a nifty tv movie with Charlton Heston & John Savage.

message 4: by Henry (new)

Henry Brown (machinetrooper) | 40 comments I need to watch those before I read the corresponding books. I read an abridged version of Dark of the Sun and am convinced they must have cut some good stuff out. Even more sure of that with Monsoon.

message 5: by Feliks, Moderator (last edited May 16, 2015 12:09PM) (new)

'Dark of the Sun' freaks people out these days, I wouldnt be surprised to hear its abridged. Probably the prisoner-rape scene at least. Makes all the little old ladies scurry for their smelling-salts. As if soldiers never behaved so deplorably!

Is 'Triumph of the Sun' the same book?

The movie is one of the best, no-excuses-offered action flicks ever

I don't know anything about 'Monsoon' but Smith could write just as well about the sea as he did the savannah

message 6: by Henry (new)

Henry Brown (machinetrooper) | 40 comments No, Triumph of the Sun takes place at the siege of Khartoum. The Courtney and Ballentyne families cross paths in that one.