Nothing But Reading Challenges discussion

Walden
This topic is about Walden
Previous BRs - Authors; Q - T > Thoreau, Henry David-Walden; Informal Buddy Read: Starts November 16, 2014

Comments Showing 1-22 of 22 (22 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Moderators of NBRC, Challenger-in-Chief (new)

Moderators of NBRC | 31140 comments Mod
This topic is open for discussion about Walden by Henry David Thoreau.

Book Synopsis:
Walden; or Life in the Woods is an American book written by noted transcendentalist Henry David Thoreau. The work is part personal declaration of independence, social experiment, voyage of spiritual discovery, satire, and manual for self-reliance. Published in 1854, it details Thoreau's experiences over the course of two years in a cabin he built near Walden Pond, amidst woodland owned by his friend and mentor Ralph Waldo Emerson, near Concord, Massachusetts.

message 2: by Moderators of NBRC, Challenger-in-Chief (new)

Reserved

message 3: by Moderators of NBRC, Challenger-in-Chief (new)

Reserved

message 4: by Margaret (new)

Margaret (everlastinggrace) I can't wait for this one, I have always wanted to read it :)

ilovebakedgoods (Teresa) (ilovebakedgoods) | 0 comments Thanks, Red Baron!

Margaret, I had kind of wanted to read it but I just sort of filed it away in the recesses of my mind. Recently, I was asked by a friend in another group if I wanted to do a buddy read for this and I thought, "Why not?" and decided November felt perfect for the woodsy (or so I assume!) atmosphere of the book. Mind you, I've no idea what the feeling of the book will be.

message 6: by Margaret (new)

Margaret (everlastinggrace) ilovebakedgoods (Teresa) wrote: "Thanks, Red Baron!

Margaret, I had kind of wanted to read it but I just sort of filed it away in the recesses of my mind. Recently, I was asked by a friend in another group if I wanted to do a bud..."

Yes, perfect timing for this book and I think having no idea will make it fun and intriguing at the same time.

message 7: by Christine (new)

Christine Ack, I want to read this one too! I don't know if I will be able to squeeze it in for November, but I will try.

Michelle (govmarley) | 3067 comments I really want to read this one, but the BR is the same time as Outlander. Guess I will need to multi-task REALLY well!

message 9: by Nancy (new) - added it

Nancy (nancyhelen) | 1469 comments I'm going to try and join in on this one too. I might be pushing my luck a bit in terms of time, but I'm going to give it a go...

message 10: by Margaret (new)

Margaret (everlastinggrace) Hope to start reading today, is everyone on board? Ready for some solitude time with nature? See you around the bend. :)

message 11: by Nancy (new) - added it

Nancy (nancyhelen) | 1469 comments My copy is on the nightstand ready...

message 12: by Margaret (new)

Margaret (everlastinggrace) very cool. I'll try to get a chapter in today and report back.

ilovebakedgoods (Teresa) (ilovebakedgoods) | 0 comments I can't remember if I checked it out from the library yet. Will have to do that today or tomorrow.

Michelle (govmarley) | 3067 comments I'll try to get it started tonight or tomorrow. Looking forward to it!

message 15: by Margaret (new)

Margaret (everlastinggrace) It is just a deep book and many references to the Bible and I think mythology. so far it is very good. I can't wait to hear what you all think.

message 16: by Margaret (new)

Margaret (everlastinggrace) So, I am reading this on my Kindle and about 9% into the book. I like the call for simplicity but I do have a problem with the word savage which has been popping up quite a bit lately. My goodness, I pride myself as being objective, but the constant reference to anyone that is not white as being savages, well.....that rubs me a bit the wrong way. Anyone else having a problem with this?

message 17: by ilovebakedgoods (Teresa) (last edited Nov 29, 2014 08:46PM) (new)

ilovebakedgoods (Teresa) (ilovebakedgoods) | 0 comments Well, ladies, I'm really sorry to do this but I am going to drop out of this buddy read. I know, I set it up and I'm abandoning it. I'm having the hardest time getting into it and some of the philosophy stuff is just too over my head right now. Perhaps another time...or not at all, lol. I don't know. It just isn't what I expected.

Margaret, I don't like the savage thing, either, although I haven't read it in this book since I haven't gotten very far. I guess the year it was written could be taken into consideration?

message 18: by Margaret (new)

Margaret (everlastinggrace) lol....well, don't feel bad because I have abandoned it as well and never bothered coming back to say that I did. I just couldn't get into it either. I love philosophical writing but this was a bit too forced for my taste and didn't have any real gems to grab onto to. I probably wouldn't try reading it again because nowadays I just don't force a read. Well, onto better books, right? I am sure that I'll be seeing you around Teresa. :)

ilovebakedgoods (Teresa) (ilovebakedgoods) | 0 comments You will, Margaret! I'm behind on so much reading but I know you are reading books that I will get around to someday and when I poke around the buddy read threads, I am sure I'll see you there. :)

I am considering reading Self-Reliance and Other Essays to see if it is more like what I was looking for from this book. I won't be reading it any time soon, though.

message 20: by Margaret (new)

Margaret (everlastinggrace) lol...I also started another BR but realized I can't stand the style of writing, I need to let them know, I hate bailing on reads but I have learned that I will not force myself to read something that I don't enjoy. :)

message 21: by Nancy (new) - added it

Nancy (nancyhelen) | 1469 comments Margaret wrote: "lol...I also started another BR but realized I can't stand the style of writing, I need to let them know, I hate bailing on reads but I have learned that I will not force myself to read something t..."

Which one was that, Margaret?

Although I am late to the party, I am going to get through this one. It is hard work though! I am still working my way through 'Economy'. I noted your point about the term 'savage' and I completely agree. I know this is historically situated, but I can't abide the arrogance with which the word is used. Even though Thoreau isn't completely dismissive of their lifestyle, he still talks with a sense of unshakeable superiority.

I will understand fully if no-one comes to chat with me about this book!

message 22: by Margaret (new)

Margaret (everlastinggrace) NancyHelen wrote: "Margaret wrote: "lol...I also started another BR but realized I can't stand the style of writing, I need to let them know, I hate bailing on reads but I have learned that I will not force myself to..."

Hi Nancy....my goodness you are brave and determined :) oh, the book I was referring to was The Notebook (The Notebook, #1) by Nicholas Sparks I usually don't give up on books but I am too impatient to "push through", lol....yep, the truth of the matter.

I totally agree, there was an arrogance with his usage of the word "savage". I could feel myself cringing every time he used it.

Well, now I wished I continued on with it, I hope someone else does read it with you. Have you thought of going back to "troll" for people who might be interested?