Mock Printz 2022 discussion

Glory O'Brien's History of the Future
Mock Printz 2015 > Glory O'Brien's History of the Future by A.S. King

Comments Showing 1-7 of 7 (7 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Whitney (wsquared) | 68 comments This was the overwhelming winner in our November reading poll! It has five starred reviews so far and King won a Printz Honor in 2011 for Please Ignore Vera Dietz. What makes this a literary standout?

Jenni | 5 comments What a great read! There are so many layers to this story, yet none of it feels cluttered or unnecessary. Most impressive, I think, is the restraint King shows in her passages of the future. She is sitting on an amazing storyline with those chapters alone, yet still let Glory's story take precedence. This is definitely on my short list for contenders.

Mary HD (marymaclan) | 81 comments Why only one comment on this book? It wasn't that bad......However, I did feel that the political focus of the novel - the current and future oppression of women - overwhelmed the book's literary qualities, and muddied its potential appeal to teen readers.

The contemporary part of the book meandered across the road and back (literally, in the novel), developing some characters and ignoring others, and was pretty much plotless.

This amorphous mass was spiced up with kind of a cheap literary device: having Glory “see into the future” and come up with a short, straightforward, and provocative story line for each character. Unfortunately, these bits constituted the most interesting parts of the book, and the rest of the book seemed somewhat tedious in contrast.

Also, Glory was not a great protagonist – an odd mixture of jejune and dyspeptic – and the photography subtheme was less intriguing than contrived.

I quite liked King’s REALITY BOY, this one, not so much!

Andrew Hicks Right up until the day I started Glory, I would've told you that A.S. King was my favorite YA author. I'd read and loved 4 of her books. This one? Lazy as hell, adrift, autopilot, disguised as something with deep meaning *and* almost universally lauded by critics. Wrote a full review here. I still look forward to King's future work.

Andrew (bookaddict1986) | 14 comments I didn't like this book at all. It didn't hold my attention and I couldn't wait for it to be over.

Andrew (bookaddict1986) | 14 comments I didn't like this book at all. It didn't hold my attention and I couldn't wait for it to be over.