What's the Name of That Book??? discussion

One and Only Cynthia Jane Thornton
SOLVED: Children's/YA > SOLVED. Late 80's early 90's YA book about a pre-teen writer and her sister [s]

Comments Showing 1-7 of 7 (7 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Jennifer (bookswithbrookes) | 3 comments I’ve been looking for a book either from the late 80’s or early 90’s for years and was hoping someone could help me find it. It might have been part of the especially for girls book club. It was about two sisters (definitely not Sweet Valley), I think the main one was a writer and the other might have been good at math. I think they were pre-teens. The main character didn’t have any friends but started making a friend on a school bus, the friend might have been named Melissa/Marissa. I remember them talking about Anne of Green Gables on the bus ride. I think the main character used to go up in a tower/attic/some special room with a window when she wanted to write. I know it’s not a lot to go on! The cover was light purple and had a sullen-looking blonde girl with glasses in the center. Any help would be much appreciated!

message 2: by Tab (new)

Tab (tabbrown) | 4967 comments Liza's Blue Moon Liza's Blue Moon by Diane Stevens ? The cover doesn't fit.
Description:Liza, a sensitive thirteen-year-old who wants to be a writer, thinks about her relationship with her best friend, her jealousy of her sister, her feelings about herself, her worries about her parents' marriage, and her interest in a boy at school.

Also, Yours Turly, Shirley by Ann M. Martin
There are a few cover versions at librarything
http://www.librarything.com/work/2294...

Were the sisters twins or just close in age?

Jennifer (bookswithbrookes) | 3 comments It's not either of those, but those were good ones! :)
I am THINKING they were twins, but I might be wrong. If not, they were very close in age. They were both blonde (definitely not Sweet Valley twins) and the main one had glasses. One of them might have been named Lucy. It's not a lot to go on. :( The main thing I remember is the cover, but unfortunately not the title or author! Thanks for trying to help though! :)

message 4: by Tab (new)

Tab (tabbrown) | 4967 comments Jennifer wrote: "the main one had glasses. One of them might have been named Lucy. "

Good tip about the name! I found One and Only Cynthia Jane Thornton by Claudia Mills

This Amazon listing has the cover
http://www.amazon.com/The-ONLY-CYNTHI...

The cover has a girl w/ glasses on it

Jennifer (bookswithbrookes) | 3 comments OMG. That is all I can say. That's it!!!! Thank you so much!!! I never thought I would be able to find it and it's been YEARS. I can't tell you how happy that makes me. Thank you!!!!

message 6: by Tab (new)

Tab (tabbrown) | 4967 comments You're welcome, Jennifer :)

message 7: by CLM (new)

CLM | 302 comments Not surprised the characters were discussing AoGG; the author is also a Betsy-Tacy fan!