Nothing But Reading Challenges discussion

Of Human Bondage
This topic is about Of Human Bondage
Previous BRs - Authors; M - P > Maugham, W. Somerset - Of Human Bondage - Informal Buddy Read; Start: December 20, 2014

Comments Showing 1-50 of 68 (68 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Moderators of NBRC, Challenger-in-Chief (new)

Moderators of NBRC | 30933 comments Mod
This topic is open for discussion of Of Human Bondage by W. Somerset Maugham

Book Synopsis:
'It is very difficult for a writer of my generation, if he is honest, to pretend indifference to the work of Somerset Maugham,' wrote Gore Vidal. 'He was always so entirely there.' Originally published in 1915, Of Human Bondage is a potent expression of the power of sexual obsession and of modern man's yearning for freedom. This classic bildungsroman tells the story of Philip Carey, a sensitive boy born with a clubfoot who is orphaned and raised by a religious aunt and uncle. Philip yearns for adventure, and at eighteen leaves home, eventually pursuing a career as an artist in Paris. When he returns to London to study medicine, he meets the androgynous but alluring Mildred and begins a doomed love affair that will change the course of his life. There is no more powerful story of sexual infatuation, of human longing for connection and freedom. 'Here is a novel of the utmost importance,' wrote Theodore Dreiser on publication. 'It is a beacon of light by which the wanderer may be guided. . . . One feels as though one were sitting before a splendid Shiraz of priceless texture and intricate weave, admiring, feeling, responding sensually to its colors and tones.' With an Introduction by Gore Vidal Commentary by Theodore Dreiser and Graham Greene.

message 2: by Moderators of NBRC, Challenger-in-Chief (new)

Reserved

message 3: by Moderators of NBRC, Challenger-in-Chief (new)

Reserved

Margaret (everlastinggrace) | 2360 comments I haven't read this since college, I loved it back then and I am hoping that I'll see it differently the second time around.

ilovebakedgoods (Teresa) (ilovebakedgoods) | 0 comments I remember when I was really young (middle school or even elementary), my mom was reading this and since I was a kid it sounded SO boring, so I dubbed it, "Of Human Boredom", ha. It amused her. I should tell her that I am now thinking of finally reading it, after all these years.

Srividya Vijapure (theinkedmermaid) | 1160 comments Lol Teresa :) I did that too when I first heard of it! However, I managed to go past that and read it several years back and loved it. Time for a re-read. So am joining in for this :)

message 7: by Sarah (new) - added it

Sarah | 3273 comments Are you kidding me?. I want to read this too. Can I possibly squeeze it in?

Srividya Vijapure (theinkedmermaid) | 1160 comments Yes you can Sarah ;) Do join in :) :)

message 9: by Sarah (new) - added it

Sarah | 3273 comments I will try.

message 10: by Amanda (new) - added it

Amanda (daughterofoak) | 3473 comments This has been on my bookshelf for ages. I can't wait to read it.

RachelvlehcaR (charminggirl) | 4364 comments I'd like to join.

Srividya Vijapure (theinkedmermaid) | 1160 comments Has anyone started this one? Am really lagging behind in all my reads! Hope to start this one some time after Christmas. *keeping fingers crossed*

message 13: by Amanda (new) - added it

Amanda (daughterofoak) | 3473 comments I started it on audio and could not get into it, mostly because of the dry narrating. After Christmas I'll try again with a paper copy.

Margaret (everlastinggrace) | 2360 comments yes, the audio is kind of dry but it is picking up. I have read through Chapter 20 and it is interesting. I remember how much I loved the book when I read it in college. :)

Srividya Vijapure (theinkedmermaid) | 1160 comments Oh great! I will start this one soon. Am also looking forward to reading this one again, given how much I loved it when I first read it! :)

Srividya Vijapure (theinkedmermaid) | 1160 comments I started this one a few days back but got sidetracked again with other books. Hope to read more over the weekend. Unlike the first time I read this book, I am kind of intrigued right from the beginning - I loved this book long back and am hoping that I still love it.

One point I would really like to make at this stage is about the writing. I had forgotten just how good Maugham writes!! I am loving it!

RachelvlehcaR (charminggirl) | 4364 comments Don't worry Sri, I'm working on this one too. Other books keep shoving their way in front of it. :( I really want to read this!

Srividya Vijapure (theinkedmermaid) | 1160 comments We will take this slow and steady Rachel! :)

I just hope it doesn't become another Silmarillion for me! Now that one I really want to finish! :(

RachelvlehcaR (charminggirl) | 4364 comments Lol, I'm still working on Silmarillion, so we are on the same path. :P Very snail slow on that one. I need to finish it too. Why is it taking so long?! :(

Srividya Vijapure (theinkedmermaid) | 1160 comments I guess there are too many other books to read, challenges to compete it that it is taking time! I am almost thinking of giving up on that one but my stubborn pride doesn't allow me to do that!! :P

RachelvlehcaR (charminggirl) | 4364 comments I'm there with you. :P I still have to finish this one. I've read about a quarter of it. Now I need to get a move on it.

As for challenges, you wait until the 1st. Oh boy, we are going to be swimming in books.

Srividya Vijapure (theinkedmermaid) | 1160 comments I agree!! Am already shuddering away at my challenge addiction! :P

Margaret (everlastinggrace) | 2360 comments I decided to read my copy on my Kindle rather than listening to the audio. It is like the difference between night and day! The narrator brings nothing to the book at all. My thoughts so far (up to chapter 22: (view spoiler)

Margaret (everlastinggrace) | 2360 comments I have read up to Chapter 27 where (view spoiler)

I can't wait to discuss the above section with you all.....so hurry up! :D

Srividya Vijapure (theinkedmermaid) | 1160 comments Margaret, you are racing ahead! :O *runs as fast as possible to catch up!* ;)

Margaret (everlastinggrace) | 2360 comments Srividya....lol....hehe....I love the insight even though my fellow Christians would gasp at the content, I rather like the humanness of our author's ponderings within this seemingly autobiographical book. I couldn't resist punching up the drama, now.....run and catch up! lol!

Srividya Vijapure (theinkedmermaid) | 1160 comments Lol.. I knew it! :D

I agree with you on the humanness part. That is something I remember from my earlier reading of the book. *runs faster* :)

Can run ahead with this only after I finish Still Alice. That one has caught me completely and is refusing to let go!

Margaret (everlastinggrace) | 2360 comments Alice let go! lol

message 29: by Margaret (last edited Jan 01, 2015 02:59PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Margaret (everlastinggrace) | 2360 comments I have read up to Chapter LV (view spoiler)

Margaret (everlastinggrace) | 2360 comments I have finished! I'll wait to discuss it once you all start posting, I don't mind waiting :)

Srividya Vijapure (theinkedmermaid) | 1160 comments *plodding along* *looks up to see Margaret has already reached and won the race* *sighs and continues plodding, instead of even attempting to race* ;) :)

Margaret (everlastinggrace) | 2360 comments lol.....I felt like it took forever to finish even though I read it exclusively. Keep plodding along and we'll have a golly time discussing it. :)

Srividya Vijapure (theinkedmermaid) | 1160 comments Margaret wrote: "I decided to read my copy on my Kindle rather than listening to the audio. It is like the difference between night and day! The narrator brings nothing to the book at all. My thoughts so far (up to..."

(view spoiler)

message 34: by Srividya (last edited Jan 05, 2015 05:28AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Srividya Vijapure (theinkedmermaid) | 1160 comments Chapter 27 to 33 (view spoiler)

Margaret (everlastinggrace) | 2360 comments (view spoiler)

message 36: by Srividya (last edited Jan 13, 2015 12:10AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Srividya Vijapure (theinkedmermaid) | 1160 comments Just completed 50%. Ah I want to read this and finish it quickly but somehow not being able to!

Thoughts up to Chap 63

(view spoiler)

Srividya Vijapure (theinkedmermaid) | 1160 comments Margaret wrote: "[spoilers removed]"

(view spoiler)

Srividya Vijapure (theinkedmermaid) | 1160 comments Chapter 67 (view spoiler)

Srividya Vijapure (theinkedmermaid) | 1160 comments Chapter 69 - Just couldn't resist this rant!

(view spoiler)

Srividya Vijapure (theinkedmermaid) | 1160 comments Chap 85 (view spoiler)

Srividya Vijapure (theinkedmermaid) | 1160 comments Chapter 87 (view spoiler)

Srividya Vijapure (theinkedmermaid) | 1160 comments Chapter 90 (view spoiler)

Okay now I am feeling better after that rant! :)

I am writing down points as I read so that I don't forget it! :)

Srividya Vijapure (theinkedmermaid) | 1160 comments (view spoiler)

Srividya Vijapure (theinkedmermaid) | 1160 comments Chapter 95 (view spoiler)

message 45: by Srividya (last edited Jan 13, 2015 08:11AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Srividya Vijapure (theinkedmermaid) | 1160 comments Chapter 101 (view spoiler)

Margaret (everlastinggrace) | 2360 comments Srividya wrote: "Margaret wrote: "I decided to read my copy on my Kindle rather than listening to the audio. It is like the difference between night and day! The narrator brings nothing to the book at all. My thoug..."

you are rocking along with this one!(view spoiler)

Margaret (everlastinggrace) | 2360 comments Srividya wrote: "Just completed 50%. Ah I want to read this and finish it quickly but somehow not being able to!

Thoughts up to Chap 63

Philip in France was a mystery! I don't know what he learnt from that visi..."

oh you are so fun to discuss books with! I am hoping that you will continue on with the book reads after the challenge. From my understanding the book reads in between challenges lax with interest. (view spoiler)

Margaret (everlastinggrace) | 2360 comments Srividya wrote: "Chapter 67 [spoilers removed]"

you know I wondered the same thing! I know that Maugham travelled extensively because of his work with the government during the Great War. I am sure that he wrote about what he knew and I am sure he had seen a lot in his travels.

Margaret (everlastinggrace) | 2360 comments Srividya wrote: "Chapter 69 - Just couldn't resist this rant!

[spoilers removed]"

yep! he is! pure obsession which is blinding!

Margaret (everlastinggrace) | 2360 comments Srividya wrote: "Chap 85 Cronshaw's death and the circumstances before that - I don't know how to classify Philip. Isn't it funny that he is both naive and yet basically has a good heart that knows loyalty without ..."

ramble away! I love these discussions and it is far better to have an audience to rant to lol (view spoiler)

« previous 1