The Mystery, Crime, and Thriller Group discussion

Interesting stuff > Re-discovering lesser known female writers

Comments Showing 1-19 of 19 (19 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Miss M (new)

Miss M | 560 comments Over the weekend I discovered a fantastic new (to me) blog, dedicated to lesser known British women writers from the period 1910-1960.

Amongst the huge wealth of information, he has a separate list dedicated to female mystery writers. Some great stuff (and wonderful period covers) there.

http://furrowedmiddlebrow.blogspot.co...

Be warned, some of these are so obscure it can definitely be frustrating when they don't show up even on abebooks or bookfinder.com...still I guess the hunt is part of the fun!

message 2: by Nancy, Co-Moderator (new)

Nancy Oakes (quinnsmom) | 8964 comments Mod
I'm in love with this blog already. I can't thank you enough for calling it to my attention!!!

message 3: by Feliks (last edited Oct 28, 2014 01:08PM) (new)

Feliks (dzerzhinsky) I will submit something related here (you may have seen it before, from me)

https://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/...
(see post approx halfway down)

Basically--under a discussion thread for Wilkie Collins' 'Woman in White'--we got to chatting about who penned the first detective novel, and so I threw in everything I knew about the topic. The potentially useful thing about this thread is that I went to the labor of providing publishing dates for all the author's first novels (I hope it dovetails with FurredMiddleBrow).

message 4: by Nancy, Co-Moderator (last edited Oct 28, 2014 01:12PM) (new)

the British women I picked out of that discussion:

The Baroness Orczy (of 'Scarlet Pimpernel' fame) created 'The Old Man In the Corner' --an armchair detective--in 1909 and 'Lady Molly of Scotland Yard' in 1910 (very early female sleuth!).

Margery Allingham with 'The White Cottage Mystery' (1927).

Christie, Marsh, Sayers, Tey, and Allingham were the reining 'queens of crime' in the 20s and 30s and really, the spine supporting the 'Golden Age of Detective Fiction' which the era can safely be characterized as.

message 5: by Miss M (new)

Miss M | 560 comments That looks really interesting, Feliks. I'm bookmarking to read when I get home. Thanks!

message 6: by Feliks (last edited Oct 28, 2014 01:25PM) (new)

Feliks (dzerzhinsky) Thanks Miss M. Any corrections or edits needed, please let me know so I can amend it for more accuracy.

Nancy, you missed just one.
Anna Katharine Green's 'The Leavenworth Case'(1878)

As far as I can tell this was the first female-written English detective novel.

message 7: by Skye (new)

Skye | 2105 comments I have read many that slipped my mind! Thank you, Miss M

message 8: by Nancy, Co-Moderator (new)

Feliks wrote: "Thanks Miss M. Any corrections or edits needed, please let me know so I can amend it for more accuracy.

Nancy, you missed just one.
Anna Katharine Green's 'The Leavenworth Case'(1878)

As far as I..."

Anna Katherine Green is American, not British - that's why I didn't include her.

BTW, I just bought a book by Marjorie Allen mentioned on the blog - and I'm going to go through as many of his authors as I can find (the ones I haven't yet read).

message 9: by Jan C (new)

Jan C (woeisme) | 35966 comments Working my way through Allingham and Ngaio Marsh (New Zealand, I think). Still debating about Green.

message 10: by Feliks (new)

Feliks (dzerzhinsky) Nancy! I'd like to start a thread about my favorite female *thriller* authors. Is that okay with you?

message 11: by Nancy, Co-Moderator (new)

Of course! Please make a little announcement about no self promotion before making your first post. Nicely, please.

message 12: by Feliks (new)

Feliks (dzerzhinsky) Good deal. I just wanted to make sure I wasn't reinventing the round thingy. Maybe the topic might've already been covered, after all.

message 13: by Carolien (new)

Carolien (carolien_s) | 106 comments Thanks Miss M and Feliks for the information. It's nice to have it in one place.

message 14: by Nancy, Co-Moderator (new)

Updating: I'm currently reading Postscript to Poison, by Dorothy Bowers from the blog - and I just ran into this:

"He had the natural man's horror of hysteria," ... (97) -

The book was written in 1938. Seems like a pretty dumb attitude for men to have that late.

message 15: by Feliks (last edited Nov 12, 2014 01:51PM) (new)

Feliks (dzerzhinsky) I think we still have it. We generally like women to be stable and unflappable.

message 16: by Nancy, Co-Moderator (new)

Feliks wrote: "I think we still have it. We generally like women to be stable and unflappable."

how very Victorian of you.

message 17: by Nancy, Co-Moderator (new)

Update: finished and posted review of Masked Murder aka Dark Prophecy, by Marjorie Alan. Written in 1945.

Next up - Joanna Canaan and They Rang Up the Police, which I just bought.

message 18: by Nancy, Co-Moderator (new)

I'm doing the reading in alpha-order style -- I'll get the basics first & go back & pick up the ones I haven't yet read.

message 19: by Bill (new)

Bill I've enjoyed Allingham, Tey, Ngaio Marsh, Dorothy Sayers, all interesting authors. Thanks for providing the link Miss M.