The Mystery, Crime, and Thriller Group discussion

Report for Duty > Greetings

Comments Showing 1-14 of 14 (14 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Peter (new)

Peter (teacherman) | 7 comments I'm not a newbie, but I've been working for fifty years and, last January, I had to retire because, despite my students' belief that I had no heart, my heart is full and, regrettably, clogged. So now I am retired, reading so much more, and looking to participate as a group member and, if there's interest, as a friend.

I was a criminal trial lawyer for 25 years, tried over 250 homicides and tons of guns and drugs, then taught middle and high school English for the past ten years. Now I care for about 100 rescue dogs, part time.

message 2: by Skye (new)

Skye | 2105 comments Welcome, Peter;
100 rescue dogs? that's amazing~

message 3: by Peter (new)

Peter (teacherman) | 7 comments If you've read Suspect, you know that their love, and my love for them, keep me strong.

message 4: by Skye (new)

Skye | 2105 comments I love dogs and I have a little one.

message 5: by Peter (new)

Peter (teacherman) | 7 comments Size isn't important. Heart is.

message 6: by Prakash (new)

Prakash Khanchandani | 52 comments Peter, I didn't get the connection! Between Suspect and dogs.

message 7: by Peter (new)

Peter (teacherman) | 7 comments Having just searched the title, I now know that there are several books titled"Suspect." The one I refer to is by Robert Crais, snf its protagonists are a policeman and a K-9 dog who are both recovering from sever, separate line-of-duty injuries. Crais is the only writer I know of who understands and portrays the dog/human "pack," and does so without condescension, romantic nonsense or anthropomorphism. If you respect and love dogs, they--like my erstwhile students, will almost always respond with love and respect. The connection is, for me, as profound and formative as real friendship.

Having said that, I will note that one of my rescue dogs bit me (unprovoked) three weeks ago. I lost three pints of blood and literally came within a few minutes of dying.

message 8: by Prakash (new)

Prakash Khanchandani | 52 comments Peter, thank you for clarifying. I have just started on books by Crais and have not yet reached Suspect.

Do you think it would be a good idea to start a series on books where a dog is a one of the major protagonists? I remember a book years ago in which one of the US agencies implanted sensors in a female German Shepherd and sent her to Russia on a rescue mission. I neither remember the title nor the author. What I do remember is that the book was unputdownable; I also remember cursing the author for killing off the dog at the end.

I don't know if a such a thread would result in discussions but I think it is worth a try. I don't know how to go about starting a thread and wonder if you have the time to initiate it.

message 9: by Skye (new)

Skye | 2105 comments Nicholas Sparks ( not one of my regular writers) did write a mystery/thriller with a canine protagonist, and it was a great novel.

message 10: by Prakash (new)

Prakash Khanchandani | 52 comments Skye, was it The Guardian?

message 11: by Nancy, Co-Moderator (new)

Nancy Oakes (quinnsmom) | 8949 comments Mod
Welcome to our group, Peter!

message 12: by Skye (new)

Skye | 2105 comments Prakash wrote: "Skye, was it The Guardian?"

YES< Prakash, and I loved the book.

message 13: by Bill (new)

Bill Welcome to our group, Peter.

message 14: by Malina (new)

Malina | 2788 comments Welcome Peter