Sci-Fi, fantasy and speculative Indie Authors Review discussion

Cover Feedback

Comments Showing 1-50 of 445 (445 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

message 1: by J.A. (new)

J.A. Ironside (julesanneironside) | 653 comments Mod
As the title suggests, this thread is for posting your cover image (or a link to it!) and getting feedback on whether it would snag someone's eye enough to read the book. Please give the books genre/ sub genre as well but no lengthly descriptions.

message 2: by Kara (new)

Kara Jorgensen (karajorgensen) | 97 comments My cover is basically finalized for the book two, but I would like to see what everyone thinks about it. It's still historical fantasy (more so than steampunk).
The Winter Garden (The Ingenious Mechanical Devices #2) by Kara Jorgensen

message 3: by J.A. (new)

I've been admiring it on Facebook. I really like it. It's inkeeping with the style of book one, it's apparently simple and yet grabs (what I think) is the core of the story. It would make me go to the blurb to find out more.

message 4: by K. (new)

Caffee K. (kcaffee) | 461 comments I've got my covers posted on my blog at:

http://pukahworks.wordpress.com/2014/...

The password to see it is " Goodreads " (leave off the quotes, of course)

The top two are for the same book, and I am still having issues getting it to "feel" right to me. The second one is pretty much done. If there are large changes, I'll need to talk to the artists, since that one is done professionally.

message 5: by J.A. (new)

Will take a look, K.

message 6: by K. (new)

Caffee K. (kcaffee) | 461 comments Kara wrote: "My cover is basically finalized for the book two, but I would like to see what everyone thinks about it. It's still historical fantasy (more so than steampunk).
The Winter Garden (The Ingenious Mechanical Devices #2) by Kara Jorgensen"

It's nice, simple, and does seem to capture the feel of the book (according to the blurb). One minor, niggling thought - if the skull represents the drowned boy, perhaps you could use some type of seaweed, instead of flowers in the eye sockets?

Still, a wonderful job, and well done.

(And, as an aside... thanks JA. Forgot the blurb on Out of the Darkness. If you need it, I'll add it to the description field.)

message 7: by G.G. (new)

G.G. (ggatcheson) | 200 comments K. wrote: "I've got my covers posted on my blog at:

The top two ..."

Ok.. The top cover doesn't do anything for me. Sorry to say it doesn't look professional. The lettering is too spaced out as if you wanted to fill the page but didn't know what to put on.

The second one is already more catchy. Without being too busy, the page has something to offer the eyes. Same with the third one. However, the man seems too stiff and would benefit a more natural pose, but that might be me being picky. I like the choice of font and the design in it and I also like the background in 2 and 3.

message 8: by G.G. (new)

G.G. (ggatcheson) | 200 comments Kara wrote: "My cover is basically finalized for the book two, but I would like to see what everyone thinks about it. It's still historical fantasy (more so than steampunk).
The Winter Garden (The Ingenious Mechanical Devices #2) by Kara Jorgensen"

I like it. It's simple but still draw the eyes.

message 9: by K. (new)

Caffee K. (kcaffee) | 461 comments G.G. wrote: "K. wrote: "I've got my covers posted on my blog at:

T..."

Thanks G.G. The first one was my own attempt, which is why I went to a pro for a second attempt. The "man" is actually a 3-d rendering of an avatar, which is probably why he seems so stiff. Because the spider figures in so prominently in the books, I kind of had to go with that. Not sure if that could have been 'shopped onto an actual model. (And, I'm almost positive, no one would have been willing to get it tattooed for just a single series.)

Thanks for the feed back. Guess I'll have to grit my teeth, and admit my defeat - my attempt isn't salvageable. I tried, and bounced. (Which is OK for now - that wall will come down one day, though!)

message 10: by G.G. (new)

G.G. (ggatcheson) | 200 comments Hey I said he 'seemed' too stiff but I also said it could be me being picky. Why do you say your attempt isn't salvageable? if you mean the first cover? Then yes, I have to say that there's not much you can do with that but the two others aren't bad. As I said I like the background, and the stiffness wouldn't stop me from checking out the blurb if I'd see the books, unlike the first one, which I definitely would not.

Although there's room for improvement (isn't there always?) your covers are not among the worst either.

Funny that you mentioned no one would get tattooed for one book. This week I saw a cover and the man had a spider tattooed on his chest. I don't remember the title though but that means maybe you could still find one somewhere. Or maybe import a spider and blend it in a man's chest. Don't give up on your idea!

message 11: by K. (new)

Caffee K. (kcaffee) | 461 comments ::Chuckles:: Depending on where you saw it, I'd be interested to see it. And, yes, the "not salvageable" is the first one on offer. The other two are professionally done, and the artist is doing his best to rein in my ideas down to something acceptable for a cover. Some times he wins, other times, we wind up arguing for a while, and he still wins.

message 12: by G.G. (new)

G.G. (ggatcheson) | 200 comments K. wrote: "::Chuckles:: Depending on where you saw it, I'd be interested to see it. And, yes, the "not salvageable" is the first one on offer. The other two are professionally done, and the artist is doing..."

This is not it but I just did a search on Stock photo and although it probably wouldn't fit your criterion, take a look. :P

http://www.canstockphoto.com/images-p...

message 13: by K. (new)

Caffee K. (kcaffee) | 461 comments Will have to see if I can find it via shutterstock, or the other image site. Yours requires an account, which I don't have. (And, don't want to set up for a look-see. I'm lazy, I know.)

message 14: by G.G. (last edited Oct 28, 2014 05:38PM) (new)

G.G. (ggatcheson) | 200 comments you can do a search without account... maybe the link required one.

Try this link... I logged off my account to search for it.

http://www.canstockphoto.com/images-p...

I never create an account just to check. I am lazy too and I don't want account everywhere I won't remember my password if I ever need to go back.

message 15: by K. (new)

Caffee K. (kcaffee) | 461 comments Close, but not quite what I was looking for. The web is important, but the spider is the goddess herself. Once you get into the book, that's when it becomes clear.

message 16: by G.G. (new)

G.G. (ggatcheson) | 200 comments True. It's more web than spider, but still close. :P

message 17: by K. (new)

Caffee K. (kcaffee) | 461 comments ::Nods:: I'm still poking around. Though, I think the artist may be a bit miffed if I come back at this stage of the game and want a complete rework of the two covers he's sent me already. He's having enough fits with the concept I've sent him for the next one.

message 18: by G.G. (new)

G.G. (ggatcheson) | 200 comments Well, I don't think you need a complete turn over either. Both covers kind of grow on you the more you look at them. :)

(And I would understand him too if you were to have him completely redo everything!)

Maybe a sword in his hand would hide the stiffness, but then it may make the design too busy. Just wait and see what others will have to say.

message 19: by K. (new)

Caffee K. (kcaffee) | 461 comments Will do. Especially since we kind of hijacked the thread. ::Grins::

Oops?

message 20: by Ken (new)

Ken Doggett (kendoggett) To me the man's shoulders look unrealistic. Trimming those would make the pose look more natural, and more muscular instead of swollen.

message 21: by K. (new)

Caffee K. (kcaffee) | 461 comments Actually getting ready to rework the first cover... or attempt to. Not sure what can be done with the second one. I don't have the layered file to manipulate, and not sure how my artist would feel about an edit at this stage. But, I will mention it for the next cover in the series.

message 22: by Christina (new)

Christina McMullen (cmcmullen) | 1213 comments Mod
Kara, as I said on Facebook, I love this cover. The use of paper to create the scene is something I hope you stick with throughout. It's a lovely signature style to have.

K, I have to agree with the stiffness. 3D renderings are tough. On the second attempt at the first book, it isn't as noticable. It almost looks like he's startled by something off camera, but on the next book, he looks a bit like a doll that's been propped against something. Other than that, I do like the title font and background work.

message 23: by Christina (new)

And since everyone has been feeding my ego on Facebook today, here's my latest cover just to make sure friends and family aren't biased. This is for a paranormal-ish urban fantasy: http://mcmullenwrites.blogspot.com/p/...

message 24: by K. (new)

Caffee K. (kcaffee) | 461 comments Blast. Well, I've got to pick through the poses I've got available for the avi, guess I'll have to pay for the edits. I THINK there is one where he's leaning up against something - like a doorway. Have to see if I can find that one. Need a different post for the next cover anyway. ::Shakes head and grumbles at self::

message 25: by Richard (last edited Oct 29, 2014 12:40AM) (new)

Richard Penn (richardpenn) | 758 comments Hi folks, update on the Dark Colony cover. I took to heart some of the feedback and have changed my cover, and the revised version is at Image here - I've revised the book at the authoring site, but it'll take a couple of days to percolate. The main criticism of the previous one is that it looked self-published, and I'm not too concerned about that. I am self-pub, and plan to remain so. I'm not expecting a publishing deal, and if I were to get one I'm sure they'd have their wicked way with the cover toot sweet. I don't want to pay a designer, partly because I don't have the money, but also because design is part of the fun for me, however ungood I am at it.

So, I've removed the "Lisa Johansen and" tagline, muted the colours, switched to all-caps, added a part of an asteroid for scale and atmosphere, and jiggled things around. Any better?

message 26: by Richard (last edited Oct 29, 2014 01:13AM) (new)

Richard Penn (richardpenn) | 758 comments Experiment - is it possible to include images directly in a post, like this and if so, is it permitted?

message 27: by J.A. (new)

Yep. Fine to include images of your cover.

message 28: by G.G. (new)

G.G. (ggatcheson) | 200 comments Christina wrote: "And since everyone has been feeding my ego on Facebook today, here's my latest cover just to make sure friends and family aren't biased. This is for a paranormal-ish urban fantasy: http://mcmullenw..."

Love it!
Some might say you chose a strange font but it fits perfectly well with the image. It gives a special effect to the whole thing and kind of pulls it all together.

message 29: by G.G. (new)

G.G. (ggatcheson) | 200 comments Richard 2060 wrote: "Experiment - is it possible to include images directly in a post, like this

and if so, is it permitted?"

Is it me or there are more stars in the new covers?
Well not more, but we can see them more. Did you change the sharpness or something?

I like the addition of the asteroid. However, I preferred the stars in the first picture. They were softer looking, softer on the eyes. Also the change for the capital letters made them bigger it feels like it 'competes' with the satellite.

Sorry I can't express myself better.

message 30: by Richard (new)

Richard Penn (richardpenn) | 758 comments G.G. wrote: "Richard 2060 wrote: "Experiment - is it possible to include images directly in a post, like this

and if so, is it permitted?"

Is it me or there are more stars in the new covers?
Well not mor..."

No, that's great, thanks. Strangely I didn't change the stars from the last image. I suspect the lurid yellow was glaring them out, and they look brighter now by contrast.

message 31: by G.G. (last edited Oct 29, 2014 05:59AM) (new)

G.G. (ggatcheson) | 200 comments It could be the placement where it appears on my screen too. (One is in the middle of it, while the other is on the left side.) And I have eye problems (floaters) so maybe I'm not a good judge either. ;)

Your book is part of a series...how about adding 'An Asteroid Police Novel' in small print under your name to balance it?

BTW your cover reminds me a little of the sci-fi books I used to read as a kid. Good or bad? Depends on who you ask I guess. Looking at it brings back memory of my parents' old basement. The smell, the dampness of it stuck to every book we had. So it's good memories for me. :P

message 32: by Richard (new)

Richard Penn (richardpenn) | 758 comments Thanks G.G. Reminding you of early scifi is exactly what I want to do. I'm trying to recapture the enthusiasm for real space travel that was engendered in me in the dim and dis.. Reminding you of a musty old basement, not so much.

message 33: by Christina (new)

I definitely like these changes, Richard. I do agree that you might want to add the series name somewhere. I think the stars seem brighter because of the placement of the words on the previous cover might have been covering them up. And I second the classic scifi look. It now looks more like the cover of one of the scifi periodicals from the sixties.

message 34: by Christina (last edited Oct 29, 2014 06:55AM) (new)

Thanks, G.G. I am going for more whimsical humor with this series, but it still has a bunch of dark elements, so I figured looking a little Tim Burton-esque might help.
I got the font from fontsquirrel.com in case anyone is looking for free fonts for their cover, this is a really good resource.

message 35: by K. (new)

Caffee K. (kcaffee) | 461 comments Christina wrote: "And since everyone has been feeding my ego on Facebook today, here's my latest cover just to make sure friends and family aren't biased. This is for a paranormal-ish urban fantasy: http://mcmullenw..."

Interesting. Is that an eye in the background behind the bird?

The color palette works good for this as well. I can see where you have had folks stroking your ego. It should be for this one.

message 36: by Christina (new)

It's supposed to be the moon. I'm not good with circles. ;)

message 37: by Richard (new)

Richard Penn (richardpenn) | 758 comments Christina wrote: "And since everyone has been feeding my ego on Facebook today, here's my latest cover just to make sure friends and family aren't biased. This is for a paranormal-ish urban fantasy: http://mcmullenw..."

That looks really nice. The arty handdrawn look and the muted palette fits the genre nicely. The irregularity of the moon is a bit disconcerting, I actually saw it as a cave entrance, like the inside of the pantheon. I'd have made the edge a bit smoother, I think.

message 38: by G.G. (new)

G.G. (ggatcheson) | 200 comments Christina wrote: "It's supposed to be the moon. I'm not good with circles. ;)"

I hadn't thought about an eye, but when you look at it closely, it does look a bit like one. Not so much the shape or the lines above, which could be eyelashes, but the bird itself in the middle of it reminds me of a cat pupil (elongated instead of round like humans).
It contributes to the mystery of the cover. I wouldn't change a thing.

message 39: by Richard (last edited Oct 29, 2014 09:44AM) (new)

Richard Penn (richardpenn) | 758 comments Added the series name, as suggested. It does balance better. . Thanks!

message 40: by G.G. (last edited Oct 29, 2014 09:54AM) (new)

G.G. (ggatcheson) | 200 comments Richard 2060 wrote: "Added the series name, as suggested. It does balance better. . Thanks!"

It does balance it and adds a finished touch. I like it.

message 41: by Christina (new)

Richard 2060 wrote: "Christina wrote: "And since everyone has been feeding my ego on Facebook today, here's my latest cover just to make sure friends and family aren't biased. This is for a paranormal-ish urban fantasy..."

I migt be able to manipulate it a bit. I'm not really an artist and the original is a little piece of cardstock with craft acrylic paint that I doodled after going to one of those paint and get drunk classes. To be honest, I never intended to use it for a book cover, it just sort of happened.

Your cover is great now. The series title did help balance it very well.

message 42: by Hákon (new)

Hákon Gunnarsson | 283 comments Richard I like the changes you made to the cover. It looks better like this.

message 43: by Hákon (new)

Hákon Gunnarsson | 283 comments Christina, I like that cover very much.

message 44: by Turhan (new)

Turhan Halil | 270 comments Christina wrote: "And since everyone has been feeding my ego on Facebook today, here's my latest cover just to make sure friends and family aren't biased. This is for a paranormal-ish urban fantasy: http://mcmullenw..."

I luv that cover. I wouldn't change a thing (not that you were asking that) I also like the see-through effect of the red banner at the bottom.

Fabulous!

message 45: by Turhan (new)

Turhan Halil | 270 comments Richard 2060 wrote: "Added the series name, as suggested. It does balance better. . Thanks!"

Hi Richard,

Except for two elements, I like the cover.

I think the central globe/planet colour should be changed because it looks a little too much like a basketball, even the black line across its circumference makes it look that way.

The green connecting conduit from station to station has a more pronounced bend at the top half, moreso than the bottom half. Can you see that? Do you rally need it at all? I'm guessing it's supposed to be the transport line to each station?

Everything else, including the colours, font etc are very good!

message 46: by Richard (new)

Richard Penn (richardpenn) | 758 comments The globe is actually the powerplant for the station, nuclear, and it's halfway between the two halves. The green conduit is a plastic tunnel connecting the two halves. I'm reluctant to make any more changes now I've got them propagated through the distribution channels, but I guess I could have made it less prominent. That tunnel is actually the place where the story starts. But thanks for the input!

message 47: by Turhan (new)

Turhan Halil | 270 comments Richard 2060 wrote: "The globe is actually the powerplant for the station, nuclear, and it's halfway between the two halves. The green conduit is a plastic tunnel connecting the two halves. I'm reluctant to make any mo..."

You're welcome!

message 48: by Richard (new)

Richard Penn (richardpenn) | 758 comments Once more unto the breech, dear friends (and on a similar theme)

message 49: by K.P. (new)

K.P. Merriweather (kp_merriweather) | 189 comments i like the cover richard. reminds me of those old pulpy sci fi books i read back in the day

message 50: by Christina (new)

Aside from the fact that I read SpaceHUG, it's good. It's simple and the blocking is good. Everything is readable. One thing that is a little odd is the bright pink SALLY written over what I assume is a hatch? It seems to hover instead of wrap around like the text above it.

« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9