Coffee & Books discussion

Old Challenges > December 2014: Dusty 'ol Books - ANNOUNCED.

Comments Showing 1-34 of 34 (34 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Rachel Jorquera , Moderator (last edited Oct 28, 2014 10:56AM) (new)

Rachel Jorquera  (racheljorquera) | 3018 comments Mod
riddle me this:

all things are not lost
but somethings are forgotten.
all things are
not lost
doesn't mean they aren't forgotten.
once touched
no longer more
everything is lost
does mean they are forgotten.

message 2: by Alissa (new)

Alissa Patrick (apatrick12211) books that are nice & dusty on our bookshelves? In need of some love and attention?

message 3: by Rachel Jorquera , Moderator (new)

Alissa wrote: "books that are nice & dusty on our bookshelves? In need of some love and attention?"

you are getting warmer

message 4: by Demetra (new)

Demetra (dedra_de) | 80 comments Books that we started but never finished?

message 5: by Rachel Jorquera , Moderator (new)

warmer!!

message 6: by Becky (new)

Becky | 105 comments Books from our To read shelf?

message 7: by Sam (new)

Sam (aramsamsam) Books we read years ago and have forgotten?

message 8: by Teneal (new)

Teneal | 231 comments I was thinking along the lines of the first two guesses...who knows what you have in store for us! Haha :)

message 9: by Kristie (new)

Kristie I think the previous comments are as close as I'm going to get! I have the same general idea. Looking forward to hearing what it is.

message 10: by Noor (new)

Noor (NoorF) | 52 comments Unfinished books or the books we read a long time ago or classics? Everyone's guess is same though.

message 11: by Alissa (new)

Alissa Patrick (apatrick12211) Unfinished challenges?

message 12: by Alissa (new)

Alissa Patrick (apatrick12211) when will it be revealed????? ;-)

message 13: by Alexandra (new)

Alexandra Black (bloodypatronus) Classic or really ancient Greek books?

message 14: by Rachel Jorquera , Moderator (new)

Announced!

As the 2014 year is coming to an end, there is no better way to catch up on some forgotten words. Alas, December is now here. We must hurry and get the last books on the shelf. But some have already been there, haven't they.

This challenge is dedicated to the things that, yes you guessed it, have been forgotten.

For the month of December, climb up on your highest shelf, pull the dustiest book, and crack it open. Re-read it, or pick it back up from where you started. Dusty 'ol books need love too!

Good luck and lets re-remember some of these books!

***** If you are an awesome superhero magical unicorn person, and have no "forgotten" books, I am sure you can find a book that you never started but merely forgot about. Crack that spine for the first time!

message 15: by Rachel Jorquera , Moderator (new)

I am so in.

The Dinner is my first!

message 16: by Becky (new)

Becky | 105 comments Oh honey' I have 8 boxes of dusty forgotten books. I am sôoooooo in! Lol

message 17: by Becky (new)

Becky | 105 comments Rachel Skye wrote: "I am so in.

The Dinner is my first!"

This starts slow but the twist at the end is worth it

message 18: by amber (new)

amber (thelittlematchgirl) | 245 comments I'm in!

message 19: by Demetra (new)

Demetra (dedra_de) | 80 comments I'm in

message 20: by Rachel Jorquera , Moderator (new)

Becky wrote: "Rachel Skye wrote: "I am so in.

The Dinner is my first!"

This starts slow but the twist at the end is worth it"

YES! That was my problem. Moved slow. I got more than half way though. So Im gonna hop on it!

message 21: by Gail (new)

Gail | 57 comments My goal for December is to de-clutter. May as well start by reading a book. Lost Moon: The Perilous Voyage of Apollo 13 is the dustiest.

Linda  "The Book Lady" Warner | 42 comments I'm in starting with the Poisonwood Bible since it is on the end of the shelf

message 23: by Becky (new)

Becky | 105 comments Linda (never enough time) wrote: "I'm in starting with the Poisonwood Bible since it is on the end of the shelf"

one of my favorites of all time! Enjoy

message 24: by Kristie (new)

Kristie I'm reading Jurassic Park! I've had it on my physical bookshelf for years. It is literally old and dusty. lol

message 25: by Dewlanna (new)

Dewlanna | 111 comments Kristie (~ Gaildis, of the Elves ~) wrote: "I'm reading Jurassic Park! I've had it on my physical bookshelf for years. It is literally old and dusty. lol"
Hope you will like it, I love Michael Crichton's book because you generally learn a lot of science facts with entertaining stories.

I started to reread the Star Wars X-wing series (because there's a new to me last book that I want to get to) and have put off reading Solo Command for months (it's my least favorite in the serie). I'll take that challenge as a clue to finally get done with it.

I also bought Play to Kill (in the discounted bin), so I'll try to tackle that one as well.

message 26: by Book Concierge (last edited Dec 05, 2014 08:28AM) (new)

Book Concierge (tessabookconcierge) | 1187 comments I've reread one that I first read in 2009 ...
Ella Minnow Pea ✔ – 02 Dec 14

message 27: by Bree (new)

Bree im in! i want to read a book thats been on my shelf for a couple of years that i never got to. its called cutting for stone and the author is abraham verghese

message 28: by Book Concierge (new)

Book Concierge (tessabookconcierge) | 1187 comments This has been on my tbr since 2005

Orchard by Larry Watson Orchard by Larry Watson – 4****
What a gem of a novel. This is a character-driven story involving two couples: Sonja and Henry House who live and work on the House orchards that Henry's family has farmed for generations, and Henrietta and Ned Weaver, a wealthy and famous painter and his long-suffering wife. When Sonja begins to pose for Weaver jealousies flare. Beautifully written, and so evocative of time and place. Of course, I know Wisconsin's Door County Penninsula very well, so I'm sure that helps.
Link to my full review: https://www.goodreads.com/review/show...

message 29: by Karen (new)

Karen GoatKeeper (goodreadscomkaren_goatkeeper) | 100 comments This is December so I'm staying with light reading this month. However, I have several stacks to chose from. I found "Cat Bearing Gifts", a Joel Grey mystery I picked up at a book sale a year or two ago. It was on top of the stack on top of a bookcase.
I'm so glad to read that other people have such stacks too. The "New Yorker" magazine had a delightful cover a few weeks ago of a reader and her stacks of books.

message 30: by Book Concierge (new)

Book Concierge (tessabookconcierge) | 1187 comments My neighbor loaned this to me a YEAR ago (actually summer 2013) ...

We Are Water ✔ – 13 Dec 14

message 31: by Alycia (last edited Dec 19, 2014 01:16PM) (new)

Alycia (bookhound18) | 18 comments I've read three books, so far, that have been on my TBR for a long time.

1. Breakfast at Tiffany's by Truman Capote

2. Son by Lois Lowry (which I've been trying to finish reading since it's release and finally did! Yippee!!)

3. Miracle on 34th Street by Valentine Davies (This one has been on my physical bookshelf for YEARS...I found an old copy at an antique store and purchased it when I was a kid.)

Breakfast at Tiffany's by Truman Capote Son (The Giver, #4) by Lois Lowry Miracle on 34th Street by Valentine Davies

I'm hoping to get some more in before the New Year!

message 32: by Book Concierge (new)

Book Concierge (tessabookconcierge) | 1187 comments Another one that has been in a bag in my closet for at least two years ... maybe three ...

Revenge of the Spellmans ✔ – 17 Dec 14

message 33: by Book Concierge (new)

Book Concierge (tessabookconcierge) | 1187 comments On my tbr since it was first released in 2008

American Wife ✔ – 18 Dec 14

-and-

On my tbr since around 2000

The Autobiography of Santa Claus ✔ – 19 Dec 14

message 34: by Book Concierge (new)

Book Concierge (tessabookconcierge) | 1187 comments Book # 4 in the series has been waiting since I finished Book # 3 in April 2010!

Bones of Betrayal ✔ – 26 Dec 14