UK Amazon Kindle Forum discussion

Agony Aunt > Friends, Fans and Followers

Comments Showing 1-15 of 15 (15 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Anna (new)

Anna Faversham (annafaversham) | 1707 comments Can anyone explain the differences between a Goodreads friend and a Goodreads Follower, please?

1. If someone is following you, are they hoping you will ask them to become a friend - is it a tentative enquiry?

2. I think Followers receive notification of what the Followed One is up to but the Followed One doesn't know what the Follower gets up to - is that what happens?

message 2: by Joo (new)

Joo (jooo) | 1636 comments I'm now following you as I clicked on friend and the message says "Submitting a friend request will cause you to start following Anna Faversham right away. You will see her reviews and status updates on your home page, even before they accept your friend request."

message 3: by Anna (new)

Anna Faversham (annafaversham) | 1707 comments Thank you, Joo, and I am pleased to add you to my friend list!

But, I have Followers who never seem to have asked me to become a Friend. I'm wondering if they are feeling offended that I have not replied - but I haven't been asked.

The fact that you asked to be a friend showed up on my little signs at the top of the page. There are some other people who are Followers but there's no sign of a Friend request. So I'm wondering if it is something different.

Rosemary (grooving with the Picts) (nosemanny) | 9087 comments I think you can have Followers if you are a Goodreads Author, and anyone can have Friends

message 5: by David (new)

David Staniforth (davidstaniforth) | 7939 comments Can you have people that run away and hide?

message 6: by Anna (new)

Anna Faversham (annafaversham) | 1707 comments Rosemary (The Nosemanny) wrote: "I think you can have Followers if you are a Goodreads Author, and anyone can have Friends"

Ah... that's a thought. But then there are Fans of Goodreads Authors (I have a very few, much treasured Fans). And I find I have Followers who are not Fans (more's the pity).

message 7: by Anna (new)

Anna Faversham (annafaversham) | 1707 comments David wrote: "Can you have people that run away and hide?"

Well the Followers are sort of hiding. It was ages before I discovered the Followers' Page on my account. It's true that I had been notified via email that each was following me, but I awaited the Friend request which never came. I found the Followers page later and they probably think I am ignoring them, but they were hiding!

message 8: by David (new)

David Staniforth (davidstaniforth) | 7939 comments On anyone's profile you can choose to add as a friend or follow reviews. So the followers are just folowing your reviews.

message 9: by Anna (new)

Anna Faversham (annafaversham) | 1707 comments Ah, got it! I've just been to Rosemary's page and there is the choice of requesting her to become a friend or send her a message or compare books. Rosemary is not an author. Then I've been to Tim's page and he is an author so there is a fourth choice - follow reviews.

So people who choose to follow my reviews are unlikely to be offended that I haven't asked them to be a friend (I hope) because they chose just to follow my reviews.

I am now older and wiser. Thank you, David, Rosemary and Joo.

message 10: by Jim (new)

Jim | 21944 comments David wrote: "On anyone's profile you can choose to add as a friend or follow reviews. So the followers are just folowing your reviews."

Anyone following me for my reviews isn't exactly piling the work up for themselves :-(

message 11: by David (new)

David Staniforth (davidstaniforth) | 7939 comments I think it's reviews that you post, Jim, as oposed to reviews that you receive.

message 12: by Tim (new)

Tim | 9478 comments Is this like the 'date shag marry' game girls used to play when I was younger?

message 13: by Jim (new)

Jim | 21944 comments David wrote: "I think it's reviews that you post, Jim, as oposed to reviews that you receive."

Then they'll be waiting even longer!

message 14: by David (new)

David Staniforth (davidstaniforth) | 7939 comments Jim wrote: "David wrote: "I think it's reviews that you post, Jim, as oposed to reviews that you receive."

Then they'll be waiting even longer!"

Give to receive, Jim ;~)

message 15: by Jim (new)

Jim | 21944 comments Problem is as most of the books I read are non-fiction. I'm currently reading Karen Armstrong's A History of God: The 4,000-Year Quest of Judaism, Christianity, and Islam, next up is Riding for Caesar and The Tyrants of Syracuse: Vol. II, 367-211 BC
I've a couple of George MacDonald Frazer, Flashman Books that I want to fit in after them :-)