All About YA discussion

Author Talk > Have You Ever Met an Author?

Comments Showing 1-27 of 27 (27 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Erin Lynn (new)

Erin Lynn | 2727 comments Mod
So we've all been there... We just finished a really great book and we just freak out and want to know everything about the book and the author.

Some of us are lucky enough to live in cities large enough or popular enough for authors to visit. Some of us have had authors come to our schools to speak. Have you benefited from this?

If so, let us know. We'd love to know which fabulous authors you've met.

message 2: by Tommy (new)

Tommy Hancock (tommyhancock) | 318 comments I've met a lot of celebrities, but am just now realizing that,to my knowledge, never met an author(not counting celebrities that also write books here and there).

message 3: by Shi'Asia (last edited Oct 28, 2014 04:13PM) (new)

Shi'Asia (kawaiiemotions) | 21 comments Our local library does meet and greets every now and then. I met Kristen Cast and although I don't like the House of Night books, I really liked her. I also met, L. Divine, the author of the Drama High books, she was very cool, friendly, and inspiring.

message 4: by Erin Lynn (new)

I've met Stephen Chbosky twice - once at college, and then at the movie theater.

I've also met Beverly Cleary. She came to speak at my elementary school for Author's Day.

Shari Maurer also came to my YA class, and she stayed behind to meet everyone and sign books.

message 5: by Jess (new)

Jess I met the author Heather Brewerand then this Thursday the author of the fallen series is coming to my school.

message 6: by Erryn_x (new)

Erryn_x | 36 comments I've never met one (darn) but my lifelong dream is to meet Jessica Sorenson (eek!) ...

After all, I am only fifteen ~ I'm holding our hope ;) xx

message 7: by Jirvin Grace (new)

Jirvin Grace (JirvinGrace) | 2 comments I've never met one ( it sucks) but I really wish to meet Lois Duncan if ever God would grant it ( I hope so).

message 8: by Denise (new)

Denise Kawaii (kawaiitimes) | 15 comments I've had the pleasure of meeting and chatting with Chelsea Cain, Lorrie Lee O'Neill and Martin Bannon. All were very pleasant and have been inspiring in their own way.

Although I haven't met her (yet!) I have been successfully stalking Sarah Lyons Fleming. She is one of the most down-to-earth and all around helpful authors I've chatted with.

message 9: by Raegan (new)

Raegan   Ralls I have met Richard Paul Evans 3 times.

message 10: by Kelsey (new)

Kelsey (kelseypartridge) I've met Gayle Forman, Marie Lu, James Dashner, Lauren Oliver, Becca Fitzpatrick, SARAH J MAAS!!, and a few others. I've also seen Ransom Riggs but I didn't actually speak to him! :(

message 11: by Irene (new)

Irene (raenne) I met Chris Carter a while ago - three weeks or so. Gosh, he was hilarious! :D <3

message 12: by Jasna (new)

Jasna Nickells | 20 comments I've met an author when I was 7. He came to our school and did a talk on story telling. can't remember his name though. wasn't exactly what Id call inspirational.

message 13: by Audra (new)

Audra (DivergentHungerGames22) I have never met an author, I want to though. :(

message 14: by Sarah Amelia (new)

Sarah Amelia | 9 comments I've meet Ally Condie and Ilima Todd! Maybe others!

message 15: by Maddie (new)

Maddie Jess Walter, author of Beautiful Ruins and We Live in Water, will be coming to my college on the 11th. I will be meeting him and getting my book signed!

message 16: by Eve (new)

Eve (arweneve) My dream is to meet Jk Rowling or Rick Riorden. :)
Though meeting Suzanne Collins, Cassandra Clare, Shannon Hale or Jessica Day George would be amazing too. :)

message 17: by Erin Lynn (new)

Maddie wrote: "Jess Walter, author of Beautiful Ruins and We Live in Water, will be coming to my college on the 11th. I will be meeting him and getting my book signed!"

Awesome! I love when authors visit colleges.

Jacqueline Woodson was supposed to come speak to our YA class a few years ago, but she backed out at the last minute. I was kind of bummed because we read her book because she wanted to reach out to schools, and then she just said no after everything was arranged and set to go.

message 18: by Sarah Amelia (new)

Sarah Amelia | 9 comments I've met Ally Condie!

message 19: by Becca (new)

Becca (beccaspassion) | 7 comments I have met a Danish Author called Lene Kaaberbøl. She is Denmarks best YA author, and The Shamer series should have been translated! She gave me (and a big room full of kids) the one advice, I have had most use of, when writing myself: Don't stop writing to check your work (spelling, gramma and such). Just keep writing while you're still inspired. The rest can wait until you are finished, if needed.

message 20: by Eve (new)

Eve (arweneve) I'm meeting Jessica Day George in February

message 21: by Claire (new)

Claire Allan (missclaireallan) I have met Estelle Maskame the author of the Did I Mention That I Love You? trilogy twice last year

message 22: by Andrea! (new)

Andrea! | 1 comments Marissa Meyer in NYC for Winter :)

message 23: by Kristi (last edited Apr 13, 2016 08:59PM) (new)

Kristi Cramer (kristicramer) | 9 comments I got to meet Anne McCaffrey waaay back in the 90s, and that was a highlight for me. I had her sign several books, but then I accidentally gave them away to a relative, who had given them to someone else by the time I realized it. D'oh!

I also met John Varley, Greg Bear, Debbie Macomber, Lisa Jackson, and Nora Roberts

message 24: by Xoxoasia (new)

Xoxoasia | 89 comments I've never met an author, but that it probably one of my life-long dreams. I want to meet Sarah J. Maas, J.K. Rowling(of course, who wouldn't?), Leigh Bardugo, and Laini Taylor.

message 25: by Bolin (new)

Bolin (bobollybee) | 19 comments Tom Palmer, Susan Fletcher (no joke. NICEST author I have met!!!!), Simon Mason, Moïra Fowley-Doyle, Melinda Salisbury (she is one amazing person), Abbie Rushton and I think that's it?

message 26: by Radhika (new)

Radhika | 3 comments Yeah my cousin wrote a book and I know her so I guess that counts

message 27: by Kevin (new)

Kevin (khardman) | 3 comments Many. Got a couple of former co-workers who write novels. Met a guy on a flight who said he was a co-author on one of the "Chicken Soup for the Soul" books. If comedians/actors count, I bumped into Kevin Hart in an airport bathroom. (It was not as awkward as it sounds.) Didn't actually meet him, but was on a flight with Stephen King (or a guy who looked so much like him that he could be his twin).

Got maybe a dozen or more anecdotes like those, but that's enough, I suppose...