The Mystery, Crime, and Thriller Group discussion

Interesting stuff > Two crime-writing novelists travel the Orient Express

Comments Showing 1-10 of 10 (10 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Nancy, Co-Moderator (new)

Nancy Oakes (quinnsmom) | 8713 comments Mod
Today's mail brought me this article from the New York Times about two novelists (Laura Lippman and Lauren Henderson) who traveled the Orient Express. The article begins:

"For over a century, the cloistered luxury of the Orient Express has mingled intrigue and decadence. Two mystery novelists board in search of inspiration."

Enjoy.

message 2: by Skye (new)

Skye | 2105 comments Thank you, Nancy; ambience sometimes creates perspective and dimension.

message 3: by Jan C (new)

Jan C (woeisme) | 35550 comments Thanks, Nancy, that was lovely. Wonder if a train will be featured in Lippman's next book?

message 4: by Nancy, Co-Moderator (new)

Jan C wrote: "Thanks, Nancy, that was lovely. Wonder if a train will be featured in Lippman's next book?"

That would be interesting, wouldn't it, Jan? I've always wanted to go on the Orient Express and I love hearing about people's experiences on this legend.

message 5: by Jan C (new)

Jan C (woeisme) | 35550 comments Nancy wrote: "Jan C wrote: "Thanks, Nancy, that was lovely. Wonder if a train will be featured in Lippman's next book?"

That would be interesting, wouldn't it, Jan? I've always wanted to go on the Orient Expres..."

That would be difficult in books relating to Baltimore, though. Maybe on the Metro or other trains running through Maryland.

message 6: by Nancy, Co-Moderator (new)

Jan C wrote: "Nancy wrote: "Jan C wrote: "Thanks, Nancy, that was lovely. Wonder if a train will be featured in Lippman's next book?"

That would be interesting, wouldn't it, Jan? I've always wanted to go on the..."

I just find trains fascinating -- not so much the trains themselves, but the idea that they travel through so many places that people would probably never see otherwise.

message 7: by Nancy, Co-Moderator (new)

Actually, one of my favorite Agatha Christie novels is 4:50 from Paddington -- just because of the train aspect in that one.

message 8: by Jan C (new)

Jan C (woeisme) | 35550 comments I take a train trip every year, Chicago-San Antonio. A small compartment, meet all sorts of people in the dining car.

message 9: by Nancy, Co-Moderator (new)

Jan C wrote: "I take a train trip every year, Chicago-San Antonio. A small compartment, meet all sorts of people in the dining car."

I remember once being on a train for a really long distance, and I was absolutely fascinated with just watching out the window. Coming into towns or cities, you get to see the back sides of things; out in the countryside there are places that are just amazing.

message 10: by Jan C (new)

Jan C (woeisme) | 35550 comments My first trip was Chicago-LA when I was 18 and could still ride coach all night. It was the 4th of July and there were a lot of fireworks. I kept wondering what was going on in all those houses with the lights lit.

The Mystery, Crime, and Thriller Group

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

4:50 from Paddington (other topics)