All Things Jim Butcher discussion

Web Sites > Has anybody played the role playing game?

Comments Showing 1-10 of 10 (10 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Guy (new)

Guy Morley | 2 comments Has anybody played the game yet? As an avid fan of RPG's and a fan of the Dresden Files I was wondering if anyone had actually played it and would care to give their opinion on it.

From what I have read of the Dresden Files I can imagine it would be very easy to play a RPG in the Dresden Universe as Butcher doesn't write on an epic level to encompass the entire universe but focuses on Dresden and his experience while leaving the reader to fill in the blanks for the rest of the magical world and what wonders it could hold.

I have heard a few reviews but would appreciate more feedback regarding this RPG.

I have to admit I am very new to the Dresden Files, I have piled through the first two novels and am quickly digesting them. I hadn't read urban fantasy before this series as well so any other recommendations would be appreciated.

message 2: by Micheal (new)

Micheal | 2 comments I haven't played the game, so I don't know much about that. As for recommendations, Kevin Hearne and Patricia Briggs (along with Jim Butcher) are some of my favorites in the Urban Fantasy genre

message 3: by Guy (new)

Guy Morley | 2 comments Heretic

I found this a few weeks ago as I was browsing the world of Kindle and I have been really impressed with it. I have always been interested in the Templar Knights and this is an interesting modern rendition of what they could have turned into. Thoroughly enjoyable and highly recommended.

message 4: by Micheal (new)

Micheal | 2 comments Guy wrote: "Heretic

I found this a few weeks ago as I was browsing the world of Kindle and I have been really impressed with it. I have always been interested in the Templar Knights and this is..."

Thanks, I added that to my "want to read" list. Looks good

message 5: by Lori Bennett (new)

Lori Bennett | 2 comments Guy wrote: "Has anybody played the game yet? As an avid fan of RPG's and a fan of the Dresden Files I was wondering if anyone had actually played it and would care to give their opinion on it.

From what I ha..."

I have played and highly recommend it. However we have been playing with a hybrid of the Dresden Fate Core System and the Fate Accelerated System.

message 6: by Liralen (new)

Liralen | 1 comments I've played the game, with three very cool other players, and a GM who knew the books. We were the Carpenter Kids (except Molly), and had an adventure in a Haunted House. *laughs* It was really good, the system is really fun with the way the Dresden characters are setup, and the key characteristics really do tie in well with the Fate system. It really does work well at any level you want to play it, as the characters you choose to play with can dictate the level of involvement that the game covers.

message 7: by Caleb (new)

Caleb (calebg) The Dresden rpg is based on the Fate gaming system. It's OK but not my kind of thing.

In order to get the most out of the Fate system, you need a DM that is a great story teller and can adapt well on the fly. I wouldn't recommend it for new gamers or and inexperienced DM.

message 8: by Chompa (new)

Chompa | 5 comments This thread is kind of stale, but I'll echo Caleb. I am not a fan of the Fate system, but the detail on the characters and setting look good on it. I'd want a group that are as big into Dresden Files books as me to run it though.

message 9: by Dave (new)

Dave Blewer | 7 comments Are you aware of the rather splendid Dresden board game currently on Kickstarter

Here's a link:https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/...

message 10: by Archimedes Grimm (new)

Archimedes Grimm | 5 comments Wow, that game looks cool. They've done a nice job with the graphic art.