Horror Aficionados discussion

Group Reads > November's SECONDARY Group Read-Harvest Home by Thomas Tryon!

Comments Showing 1-50 of 211 (211 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3 4 5

message 1: by Char (last edited Oct 28, 2014 07:54AM) (new)

Char  | 14245 comments Mod
This is the runner-up to Salem's Lot in November's Group Read vote. A few of you requested this also be made a group read, so here is a place for us to discuss this classic horror book. Enjoy!

message 2: by Mauoijenn (new)

Mauoijenn (jennzwicker) | 681 comments Looking forward to reading this. :)

message 3: by Char (new)

I hope you enjoy it as much as I did, Mauoijenn!

message 4: by Andi (new)

Andi Rawson (andreyact) This one is next up on my roster. :)

message 5: by Tom (new)

Tom | 340 comments I own this so I will tag along. Haven't read it yet

message 6: by Char (new)

Tom wrote: "I own this so I will tag along. Haven't read it yet"

I thought it was fantastic! A true horror classic. I hope you both enjoy it, Andi and Tom. :)

message 7: by Andi (new)

Andi Rawson (andreyact) Charlene wrote: "Tom wrote: "I own this so I will tag along. Haven't read it yet"

I thought it was fantastic! A true horror classic. I hope you both enjoy it, Andi and Tom. :)"

Thanks Char. Me too. :)

REMEMBER UKRAINE NOW ReadingReindeer (readingreindeerproximacentauri) | 191 comments I read this decades ago and still remember how brutally it terrified me. Picked up a copy on Kindle a week or so ago. Eager to reread.:)

message 9: by Catster (new)

Catster Joining! :)

message 11: by Missy (new)

Missy | 199 comments totally joining

message 12: by Julia (new)

Julia (readingover50) | 24 comments I just bought this for my kindle. So excited to start reading.

message 13: by Jon Recluse (new)

Jon Recluse | 12043 comments Mod
An excellent novel. You folks are in for a treat.

message 14: by Andrew (new)

Andrew (andrew619) | -128 comments The time to find the book and I'm ready to start.

message 15: by Teawench (new)

Teawench | 331 comments It's currently on sale for $1.99 for ereaders.

message 16: by Kimberly (new)

Kimberly (kimberly_3238) | 6091 comments Mod
I'll be starting this one tomorrow! :)

message 17: by Andrew (new)

Andrew (andrew619) | -128 comments Teawench wrote: "It's currently on sale for $1.99 for ereaders."

Ok, thanks. Otherwise, there is always the library.

message 18: by Amanda (new)

Amanda | 71 comments Literally just finished listening to the audiobook of this today. Extremely enjoyable, hope you all have fun!

message 19: by Robert (new)

Robert Mingee (robertmingee) | 776 comments Amanda wrote: "Literally just finished listening to the audiobook of this today. Extremely enjoyable, hope you all have fun!"

Hmm, having bought the Kindle edition on sale for $2, I can add the audible edition for $4, and if I litsened to this and read 'Salem's Lot, I could participate in both group reads at the same time! :-)

I've read 'Salem's Lot, but it has been a ridiculously long time, and as bad as my memory is, I'm sure it'll be like reading it for the first time...

message 20: by Marc-Antoine (new)

Marc-Antoine | 2888 comments I've ordered a used copy on amazon.ca, hope it comes in on time. I couldn't find a new copy for the life of me...

message 21: by Latasha (new)

Latasha (latasha513) | 11050 comments Mod
I'm going to try to read this one, too. I bought it while it was on sale.

message 22: by Hudson (new)

Hudson (bostonrich) | 47 comments In!

message 23: by Holly (new)

Holly (goldikova) Two group reads this month.....excellent!

message 24: by Joel (new)

Joel  Werley | 60 comments It's free on Kindle Unlimited. I'm greatly looking forward to this, my first group read. This book sounds like an undiscovered (by me) classic.

message 25: by Char (new)

Joel wrote: "It's free on Kindle Unlimited. I'm greatly looking forward to this, my first group read. This book sounds like an undiscovered (by me) classic."

Joel, I think so for sure. I hope everyone likes it as much as I did. :)

message 26: by Kimberly (new)

Charlene wrote: "Joel wrote: "It's free on Kindle Unlimited. I'm greatly looking forward to this, my first group read. This book sounds like an undiscovered (by me) classic."

Joel, I think so for sure. I hope e..."

It's been years since I've read it, and some scenes are still vivid!

message 27: by Tim (new)

Tim (tim_taylor) | 55 comments I picked this one up at amazon (I better since I voted for it, right?) and am looking forward to trying my second group read. I read last month's The Troop so soon and so quickly that I don't think I was a very good group read participant. I think I'll wait for the second week of November before starting this one.

message 28: by Char (new)

Tim wrote: "I picked this one up at amazon (I better since I voted for it, right?) and am looking forward to trying my second group read. I read last month's The Troop so soon and so quickly that I don't thin..."

Sometimes that happens, Tim. I find that a lot of the time, the success of a group read depends on the participants and how chatty (or not) they are. :)

message 29: by 11811 (Eleven) (new)

11811 (Eleven) (11811) | 1561 comments Robert wrote: "Amanda wrote: "Literally just finished listening to the audiobook of this today. Extremely enjoyable, hope you all have fun!"

Hmm, having bought the Kindle edition on sale for $2, I can add the au..."

The audio sample was pretty good. I may Whispersync this one for the extra four bucks. Whether I read or listen, I'm in.

message 30: by Dani (new)

Dani (reiser3357) | 39 comments Great concept! Finished it in only a few hours and can't wait to see what everyone posts! Happy reading!!

message 31: by Daniel (new)

Daniel Barnett | 218 comments This sounds awesome. I'm going to do my best to get my hands on a copy.

Just a Girl Fighting Censorship (justagirlfightingcensorship) I order my copy from the library and it's ready for pick up. Excited to start my first ever group read

message 33: by Joshua (new)

Joshua Whitty (jdub_81) Just got a copy! Looking forward to my first group read!

message 34: by Joshua (new)

Joshua Whitty (jdub_81) Just got a copy! Looking forward to my first group read!

message 35: by Char (new)

Excellent! We are looking forward to having you guys. :)

message 36: by [deleted user] (new)

I'm trying out Amazon's "WhisperSync for Voice" thing with this one. I'm a few chapters in, and still mostly marveling at the magic of being able to open either the Audible app or my Kindle at any time and find myself right where I left off.

message 37: by LyndiLea (new)

LyndiLea Hardman (LyndiLeaHardman) | 17 comments Going to read Salem's Lot first but I should be able to squeeze this one in too.

message 38: by Kimberly (new)

I started my re-read tonight. :)

message 39: by Lisa (new)

Lisa Boone | 12 comments The is my first group read! I read this years ago, I mean like maybe 20 years ago, and forgot how much I had liked it! The funny thing is that the whole time I was thinking about it, I was confusing this book with The Others. I somehow had the titles crossed up in my mind. I now know the difference! I am really enjoying this re-read so far, I had forgotten so much of the detail in the book.

Are any of you readers old enough to remember the made for TV version of this? David ackroyd played the lead......

message 40: by Char (last edited Nov 01, 2014 06:43AM) (new)

Great, Kimberly!

Hi, Lisa! I don't remember there being a movie of this. Was it any good?

message 41: by K.L. (new)

K.L. Phelps (kl_phelps) | 160 comments Picked this book up a few weeks ago, guess I need to get on it soon

message 42: by Andy (new)

Andy (manicsloth) | 730 comments JUst picked this up from my school library. It's a old battered copy, so I hope it stays together for one more read. Last checkout was 1996.

message 43: by Char (new)

It's sad that such a great story sat fallow for such a long time.

message 44: by Holly (new)

Holly (goldikova) Lisa wrote: "The is my first group read! I read this years ago, I mean like maybe 20 years ago, and forgot how much I had liked it! The funny thing is that the whole time I was thinking about it, I was confus..."

Yeah, Lisa, I was in 8th grade when The Dark Secret of Harvest Home aired. I absolutely loved it, and ran to the library to find the book, so I would date my first read of this novel as having been in 1978 or so.

I have been cautioned by other fans of the book in regards to the DVD version of the TV movie; it has been heavily edited and chopped, with entire storylines removed. The original had a run time of 3 hours and 42 minutes, so beware of any version with a significantly shorter run time.

message 45: by Katy (new)

Katy Mann | 938 comments Charlene wrote: "This is the runner-up to Salem's Lot in November's Group Read vote. A few of you requested this also be made a group read, so here is a place for us to discuss this classic horror book. Enjoy!"

I'm in. Started this one on the train last week.

Such a charming little town...

message 46: by Hudson (new)

Hudson (bostonrich) | 47 comments The beginning of this book reminds me of the movie "Funny Farm" with Chevy Chase.

(Also, I'm reading Salem's Lot right now too and there are some similarities, especially with the small town descriptions.)

message 47: by Kathy (new)

Kathy (littlemissred3) | 252 comments I started reading this, but I'm only a coupe of chapters in.

message 48: by Joel (new)

Joel  Werley | 60 comments I'm only three chapters in, but it's a great, confident start. Tryon's writing in these chapters is rather Lovecraftian, not in style but in giving the reader complete detail to the house and the layout of the town. This, along with some subtle foreshadowing, bodes well for whatever is to come.

message 49: by Katy (new)

Katy Mann | 938 comments Hudson wrote: "The beginning of this book reminds me of the movie "Funny Farm" with Chevy Chase.

(Also, I'm reading Salem's Lot right now too and there are some similarities, especially with the small town descr..."

Reading Salem's Lot and Harvest Home at the same time is interesting. I'm not quite as far into Salem's Lot.

message 50: by Holly (new)

Holly (goldikova) Cornwall Coombe is such a charming, rustic place.

« previous 1 3 4 5