Horror Aficionados discussion

Group Reads > November Group Read-Salem's Lot by Stephen King

Comments Showing 1-50 of 261 (261 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3 4 5 6

message 1: by Char (last edited Oct 28, 2014 12:17PM) (new)

Char  | 13652 comments Mod
November's poll winner for the Group Read! Here is a place for us to discuss this horror classic. I'm looking forward to reading it again with you all.

As always, please preface your post with your page number or chapter number and then use spoiler tags.

message 2: by Ctgt (new)

Ctgt | 761 comments Looking forward to rereading. It's been a long time.

message 3: by Char (new)

Same here, Ctgt! I hope it holds up to my memory of it! :)

message 4: by Ctgt (new)

Ctgt | 761 comments That's always a concern isn't it? Hopefully it will go as well as The Shining reread. I may have enjoyed that more the second time.

message 5: by Mauoijenn (new)

Mauoijenn (jennzwicker) | 681 comments This is one of Kings books I've never read yet. Excited to get it off my to-be-read list!

message 6: by Missy (new)

Missy | 199 comments I'm going to step out of reading this month as I have already read it. But I will be popping in to read everyone's thougths.

I really enjoyed this book and I hope everyone else does too!

message 7: by Char (last edited Oct 28, 2014 09:13AM) (new)

Missy wrote: "I'm going to step out of reading this month as I have already read it. But I will be popping in to read everyone's thougths.

I really enjoyed this book and I hope everyone else does too!"

Missy, feel free to drop into our secondary group read which is Harvest Home, if you like. :)
(We have a secondary read this month because so many of us have read Salem's Lot previously.)
Here is a link: https://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/...

message 8: by Raymunda (new)

Raymunda (raymundaj) Mauoijenn wrote: "This is one of Kings books I've never read yet. Excited to get it off my to-be-read list!"

Same here!

message 9: by Missy (new)

Missy | 199 comments Charlene wrote: "Missy wrote: "I'm going to step out of reading this month as I have already read it. But I will be popping in to read everyone's thougths.

I really enjoyed this book and I hope everyone else does ..."

Sounds good! I will join in the secondary group. Thanks for suggesting it.

message 10: by Michael (new)

Michael Jensen (michaeljensen) | 144 comments I read this more than twenty five years ago and am looking forward to seeing if its as great as I remember.

message 11: by Kimberly (new)

Kimberly (kimberly_3238) | 5691 comments Mod
Michael wrote: "I read this more than twenty five years ago and am looking forward to seeing if its as great as I remember."

Actually, I may end up rereading this one after Harvest Home... ;)

message 12: by Monica (new)

Monica Go | 435 comments I've had it on my shelf for a few months. So glad I can read it and with you guys. I was waiting for the right time

message 13: by Char (new)

I'm glad you can join us, Monica!

message 14: by Monica (new)

Monica Go | 435 comments Yes Yes yes :D

message 15: by Candace (new)

Candace Putnam | -1 comments taide wrote: "Mauoijenn wrote: "This is one of Kings books I've never read yet. Excited to get it off my to-be-read list!"

Same here!"

And ditto! I have somehow not read Salem's Lot either, I already have it loaded to my kindle. I'm excited to start it once I wrap up Horns! I went ahead and put Harvest Home on my kindle too since it was a good price, looking forward to reading BOTH of November's picks! :)

message 16: by Marc-Antoine (new)

Marc-Antoine | 2888 comments If it weren't for Revival due on my doorstep on the 11th, I would so join! I just don't want to get kinged out...

message 17: by Christy (new)

Christy (christy123) | 11 comments I've ordered my book and I can't wait to get started on Salem's Lot! I'm also going to read Harvest Home too--I have it already.

message 18: by C.J. (new)

C.J. Wright (cjwrightbooks) | 3 comments Gives me an excuse to dust off my illustrated edition of Salem's Lot, and give it a re-read.

message 19: by Kieron (new)

Kieron I have been wanting to read this for a while. I have read a few King books, but not his early stuff which it seems most people consider to be classics. I remember watching the film when I was younger and it was pretty creepy.

message 20: by Tyhitia (new)

Tyhitia | 18 comments This is truly weird. I started reading Salem's Lot a few days ago before you guys decided on the group read. **Cue The Twilight Zone music** Lol.

message 21: by Raymunda (new)

Raymunda (raymundaj) C.J. wrote: "Gives me an excuse to dust off my illustrated edition of Salem's Lot, and give it a re-read."

Oh, an illustrated edition! Nice!

message 22: by Rosangela (new)

Rosangela (ropis) | 6 comments First time here ;)

message 23: by Mauoijenn (new)

Mauoijenn (jennzwicker) | 681 comments Welcome Rosangela. This will be my first time doing a group read also in this group. Im going to read both of the books for this month. Just picked Salems Lot up at the library. All 27 copies are checked out in our library system. Must be a great book, plus it is Halloween!

message 24: by Char (last edited Oct 28, 2014 05:56PM) (new)

Tyhitia, it was meant to be. :)

message 25: by Latasha (new)

Latasha (latasha513) | 10650 comments Mod
i'll be listening to the audiobook. I can get it from our reads program which is like a state wide online library. however, there is 10 people ahead of me so it may in later in the month before I get it.

message 26: by Char (new)

That's cool, Latasha. Who's the narrator, do you know?

message 27: by WendyB (new)

WendyB  | 2804 comments Mod
I've read both Salem's Lot and Harvest Home in the last few years. I feel sure most folks will like both books. Great choices.

message 28: by James (new)

James Mertz (jmertz) I've been wanting to read this for some time now, my dad is a huge King fan and this is one of the books he keeps asking if I read yet

message 29: by Brian (new)

Brian Johanningmeier Hello everyone,
This is my first time reading with the group. I look forward to the book and seeing other's opinions of it.

message 30: by Char (new)

Hello and welcome, Brian and James! :)

message 31: by Yassin (new)

Yassin Mohii (yassin_mohii) | 5 comments It will be my first time to read it at last,
every one who knows that i didn't read it gives me that look means" and you are saying you love horror!!" :)
finally I'll get red of this look ;)

message 32: by [deleted user] (new)

I loved this book and think it's one of King's scariest, the most for me anyway. Since it's old, it's different than the same old thing that we see nowadays. It was refreshing, almost.

message 33: by Char (new)

Kathryn wrote: "I loved this book and think it's one of King's scariest, the most for me anyway. Since it's old, it's different than the same old thing that we see nowadays. It was refreshing, almost."

I loved it too, Kathryn. It will be interesting to see if I still love it since I haven't read it in 30 years or so. :)

message 34: by Amanda (new)

Amanda | 71 comments I've started a little early because I'm listening to the audiobook version. More than 20 years since I've ready this too.

message 35: by Hudson (new)

Hudson (bostonrich) | 47 comments Funny Charlene, that would be about right for me too.

In my humble opinion, early King was the best King and this was one of the earliest. (2nd published)

message 36: by Char (new)

Hudson wrote: "Funny Charlene, that would be about right for me too.

In my humble opinion, early King was the best King and this was one of the earliest. (2nd published)"

Hudson, I know I've said it before...but I hope it holds up to my memory of it. :)

message 37: by Latasha (new)

Latasha (latasha513) | 10650 comments Mod
Charlene wrote: "That's cool, Latasha. Who's the narrator, do you know?"

well, it doesn't say but the one that is listed looks just like the one at audible. Audible says the narrators are Ron McLarty and Stephen King. if I get too impatient i'll just use a credit and get it from them! i'm 8 out of 9 on the waiting list (for the library one).

message 38: by Ashe (new)

Ashe Armstrong (ashearmstrong) So, what's the process for a group read anyways? Do we have X amount of pages to read and then we discuss it or is it just a free for all and we discuss it with whoever's keeping the same pace?

message 39: by Char (new)

In the first post I asked that participants preface the posts with the chapter number/name/percentage and then post within spoiler tags. That way, others can see where you are and choose whether or not to see what you have hidden.

message 40: by Tyhitia (new)

Tyhitia | 18 comments Charlene wrote: "Tyhitia, it was meant to be. :)"

As much as I love King, I've never read this book. It's cool so far. I like to mix up my reading and I skip around from horror to fantasy to sci-fi, non-fiction, etc. Horror is my favorite though and the #1 genre I write. :-D

message 41: by Ashe (new)

Ashe Armstrong (ashearmstrong) Charlene wrote: "In the first post I asked that participants preface the posts with the chapter number/name/percentage and then post within spoiler tags. That way, others can see where you are and choose whether or..."

That's a solid plan. Groovy.

message 42: by Char (new)

Ashe, yeah-it should be good! :)

message 43: by Meli (new)

Meli | 27 comments It's been a very long time since I read this book. I just picked up the e-book version via my local public library. :)

message 44: by Ashe (new)

Ashe Armstrong (ashearmstrong) I decided I'm gonna use my copy for a horror selfie too, so two birds with one stone.

message 45: by Justin (new)

Justin Self | 7 comments I am nearly halfway through Salem's Lot, it has been several years since I have read it. I am thoroughly enjoying it. What a great read! I can't wait to see what everyone thinks about it!

message 46: by Celeste (new)

Celeste (celestialsunshine) This book has been sitting on my shelf (unread) for a couple months. This is a perfect chance to read it!

message 47: by Michael (new)

Michael (michaeljsullivan) | 5 comments Such a good book. It's been years since I've read it, and don't have time to do a re-read just now. But I hope to join in on the conversation, as it's still really clear in my mind...which says a lot!

message 48: by Natasa (new)

Natasa (natasa79) | 353 comments Yeiy, finally a chance for me to read this! It was about time :)))

message 49: by Char (new)

Great! This should be a lot of fun. We have some great participants here, so we should have a wide variety of viewpoints to discuss. I won't be starting for a few days yet, but I'm looking forward to this quite a bit.

message 50: by Nichole (new)

Nichole (NicholeSandra) New to group. Will be reading Salems Lot for the first time:) currently finishing up The Shining.

« previous 1 3 4 5 6