Goodreads Ireland discussion

The Book of Lost Things
This topic is about The Book of Lost Things
Previous Quarterly Reads > Quarterly Read Nov '14 - Jan '15: The Book of Lost Things

Comments Showing 1-35 of 35 (35 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Emma Flanagan (emma89) This is the discussion thread for our November 2014 to January 2015 quarterly read, The Book of Lost Things

Paul My first ever nomination to win. That took a while ☺

message 3: by Emma (last edited Oct 28, 2014 06:23AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Emma Flanagan (emma89) I thought you nominated the Martian

Paul Seraphina nominated the Martian.

Serf Who nominated good omens then?? Looking forward to this quarterly read, sounds good

Paul Trelawn nominated Good Omens . I'd nominated it a previous time.

Kevin It must have sounded better coming from Trelawn, Paul :)

Sara | 2357 comments Mod
This is also available on Audible (at least the U.S Audible). I'm getting it on CD from my local library. I've listen to it after the monthly read.

Paul I am delighted this got picked. Everyone should read this one

message 10: by [deleted user] (new)

Paul, this book is new to me, so what makes it so good?

message 11: by Paul (new) - rated it 5 stars

Paul Its just an amazing story, its so well written . It is pretty somewhere between Narnia , Labyrinth and Pans Labyrinth , set during WW2 but with a through the wardrobe setting. All the plot revolves around dufferent Grimms fairy tales and it drags you right in. John Connolly is prouder of this than anything else hes done

message 12: by [deleted user] (new)

Thanks, Paul. It's not normally something that I'd bother with but I might give it a try after those already on my currently reading list.

message 13: by Emma (new) - rated it 4 stars

Emma Flanagan (emma89) It's not dissimilar to the concept of Connolly's novella The Museum of Literary Souls, just involving fairy tales. I remember loving it when I read it a few years ago. I'm looking forward to a reread which I'm starting straight away as I read the monthly read only last month.

I think both our monthly and quarterly read are the shortest they've been in a number of months.

message 14: by Paul (new) - rated it 5 stars

Paul Its nice to have more manageable books ☺

message 15: by Cathleen (new)

Cathleen | 2409 comments I enjoyed The Museum of Literary Souls, so I'll be interested to see how this one plays out :)

Colleen | 1205 comments I so happy this won. Loved The Museum of Literary Souls.I'll start it as soon as I finish Unspoken

message 17: by Barbara (new)

Barbara (bdegar) | 4626 comments I read this a few years ago and as I have loads of books on my to read pile, I won't be reading it again. But enjoy...

Donna McCaul Thibodeau (celtic_donna) | 1141 comments I voted for this one and am looking forward to reading it!

message 19: by Sara (new) - rated it 3 stars

Sara | 2357 comments Mod
I hope you'll comment with what you remember of the book anyway Barbara.

message 20: by Emma (new) - rated it 4 stars

Emma Flanagan (emma89) I finished this today. I enjoyed it as much this time as I did the first time. I'll hold back my comments until other people are in to it a bit. I look forward to discussing it with all of you.

Susan | 4707 comments I am over 100 pages into this book and I am ready to put it aside. It reminds me of Narnia like Paul said. It is so far from my cup of tea. I am really not enjoying it at all. :( I am looking forward to reading what you people who like it like about it.

message 22: by Paul (new) - rated it 5 stars

Paul Sorry you dont like it Susan. I've 50 pages left and I've enjoyed it as much second time round . I enjoy Connollys dark twists on the Fairy tales as well as the learning curve David goes through. I wont go into detail here I'll wait til the spoiler thread but I do enjoy when a fairy tale is twisted well

message 23: by Emma (new) - rated it 4 stars

Emma Flanagan (emma89) At 100 pages you certainly gave it a fair shot Susan. I know it's a genre your not fond of.

message 24: by Emma (new) - rated it 4 stars

Emma Flanagan (emma89) Paul I look forward to discussing it with you. I'll open a spoiler thread shortly

message 25: by Emma (new) - rated it 4 stars

Emma Flanagan (emma89) Paul I look forward to discussing it with you. I'll open a spoiler thread shortly

Susan | 4707 comments Paul, I'm sure it's quite good in its genre. Declan told me that he really liked it.

message 27: by Paul (new) - rated it 5 stars

Paul I always see fairy tales as a root of stories and the first step on a life of reading and this for me anyway plays wonderfully on that. It does fall in the Narnia/down the Rabbit Hole type of story but for me that can be a wonderful fantastical story . Not everyones thing I suppose.

message 28: by Cathleen (new)

Cathleen | 2409 comments I have the book, but I won't be able to get to it for awhile. I loved Narnia, so that's appealing. This month is going to be really busy--but fingers crossed--I'll get to it sooner than later.

message 29: by Paul (new) - rated it 5 stars

Paul I finuahed last night and I enjoyed the book as much second time round. Adaptions of Fairy Tales are ten a penny nowadays but this is definitely one of the best . I am sorry Susan didnt enjoy it . At least we agree on Bernard Cornwell ☺

message 30: by Emma (new) - rated it 4 stars

Emma Flanagan (emma89) I think while there are lots of adaptions of fairy tales, few use them in the same way as Connolly does. Most just do a twist on the fairy tale. Connolly uses them to tell a larger story. It's probably what makes it so reminiscent in many ways of something like the Chronicals of Narnia.

message 31: by Emma (new) - rated it 4 stars

Emma Flanagan (emma89) The spoiler thread is open

message 32: by Paul (last edited Nov 12, 2014 02:05PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Paul That is true . Connolly uses the fairy tales as a tool rather than twisting for the sake of it. I also love his take on the power of stories. Its a theme in a lot of fantasy ,used by Pratchett and Gaiman in their books in a similar way.
The scope isnt quite as big as Narnia but the approach is close

Colleen | 1205 comments I startedThe Book of Lost Things and I must say I'm hooked from the first sentence.

message 34: by Emma (new) - rated it 4 stars

Emma Flanagan (emma89) An interesting article in The Guardian on fairytales which in the context of The Book of Lost Things people may enjoy.

http://gu.com/p/442qp

message 35: by Rei (new) - rated it 3 stars

Rei (rei_ya) It's not a genre I like to read, and although I was looking forward to reading it, like Suzan I feel I have to just put it down. The style is beautiful, just not my type of books.