Audiobooks discussion

Archives > New iTunes

Comments Showing 1-26 of 26 (26 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Elizabeth (new)

Elizabeth I downloaded the new iTunes this weekend and am having problems. I can't find an answer to this question on iTunes help, so I'm hoping someone here can help me. I don't like the way iTunes now shows my books - as album covers and alphabetized by author. I can't find anything! Does anyone know how to have it show by List like it used to and be able to sort by whatever I wanted to sort it by? I'm going crazy!

message 2: by Tjo (new)

Tjo | 56 comments Towards the upper right corner, use the pull down menu to select Audiobook List instead of Audiobooks.

message 3: by Susan (new)

Susan (suze0501) | 37 comments Elizabeth wrote: "I downloaded the new iTunes this weekend and am having problems. I can't find an answer to this question on iTunes help, so I'm hoping someone here can help me. I don't like the way iTunes now sh..."

I soooo agree with you. It's just not user-friendly.

message 4: by Elizabeth (new)

Elizabeth Thanks, Tjo. I was able to alphabetize by title instead of author, but didn't see Audiobook List. I'll keep playing with it. And, Susan, I'd really like to go back to my old iTunes! I really dislike this version!

message 5: by Elizabeth (new)

Elizabeth I got it! I can get the list view by "Song." We'll see how this works! It sure is an obscure way to get back to the way I like, but it worked! Thanks, Tjo.

message 6: by Margaret (new)

Margaret | 316 comments People don't seem to like the new version of Itunes. Is it possible to to just not download it and go on with the old version? I'm so old I have trouble adjusting to new versions of almost anything.

message 7: by Susan (new)

Susan (suze0501) | 37 comments I suppose it probably is, Margaret, but in a triumph of hope over expectation I always think things are going to get better!! :))

message 8: by CatBookMom (new)

CatBookMom | 1082 comments Susan wrote: "I suppose it probably is, Margaret, but in a triumph of hope over expectation I always think things are going to get better!! :))"

Snerk! I haven't upgraded yet; haven't used iTunes in a while, so maybe I can avoid it...

message 9: by Tjo (new)

Tjo | 56 comments Elizabeth: Glad it worked!

message 10: by Robin P (new)

Robin P | 1086 comments I couldn't find books at first but every time something changes on iTunes or Windows, I google and find many people already asking how to make things "normal" again. On mine I have icons on the upper left for music, movies, and TV. Then there are 3 dots and when I click on those I can choose Audiobooks. I suppose they have no idea how many people use iTunes for audiobooks. I rarely listen to music anymore!

message 11: by Elizabeth (new)

Elizabeth It's the same for me! I'm glad to have it back to the "old" iTunes! I may never upgrade again!

message 12: by Ann (new)

Ann (annrumsey) | 159 comments I had to do a search for a setting to get it to recognize my iPhone as it wouldn't display the icon until I did that. Grr, not a good GUI on this one at all.

message 13: by Bill (Just a) (new)

Bill (Just a) | 700 comments I am on ITUNES 10.7. I once upgraded to 11 and then uninstalled and re-installed 10.7. I always answer the question about an upgrade as "no". I suspect that one day there will be a reason to upgrade but I will check out the message boards first.

message 14: by Leona (new)

Leona  | 45 comments I didn't know I could uninstall an upgrade and go back to a 'nicer' version....I must try this. I have a problem because I tunes doesn't always recognise my ipod and instead of synchronising it I seem to constantly eject it....I feel like a novice with this new version, nothing works as it should :(

message 15: by Bill (Just a) (new)

Bill (Just a) | 700 comments Leona,

Look around. There are a number of tutorials on how to do this. I can't find the one I used but it was on youtube. I did find others.

The other thing I did was move my library to an external drive. Makes life easier when I switch computers.

I did my rollback a long time ago. Sorry to see that so many people still have Itunes issues. Threre is an alternative to Itunes called Media Monkey. You might check into that. It has some nice reviews.

message 16: by Leona (new)

Leona  | 45 comments Forney_bill wrote: "Leona,

Look around. There are a number of tutorials on how to do this. I can't find the one I used but it was on youtube. I did find others.

The other thing I did was move my library to an ex..."

Is Media Monkey compatible with ipods? I'll definitely check that out, I was fairly happy with iTunes until I did the update though so perhaps just going back to a previous version will be good enough. Thank you for the advice.

message 17: by Michael (last edited Nov 03, 2014 03:23PM) (new)

Michael (mobe1969) | 463 comments Yeah that new iTunes is even more horrific than it was previously.

I can't believe how clumsy it is in general. I can't believe they don't have a proper web store, but have to use itunes, and are limited to a single window. You can't say "oh I'd like to look at this this and this, and open them up". It is so old fashioned and linear. And you do a search, you get everything. You can't even say search TV shows. I'm so sick of hearing people say how great and user friendly apple is when itunes is just so horrific.

message 18: by Hunchback Jack (new)

Hunchback Jack | 545 comments Forney_bill wrote: "Leona,

I just did this last night, and found that it went smoothly when I rolled back to (roughly) the version I upgraded from. So, in my case, I upgraded from 10 to 12, then tried a downgrade from 12 to 11 and ran into some problems. Downgrading back to 10 went fine.

The trickiest part is recovering the library file for the version you're downgrading to. Unfortunately, you'll lose any changes to your library that you've done since the upgrade.

Apple really don't like us using older versions of their software. They force us to upgrade iTunes to support the versions of Pads and Phones, and they don't really support downgrades of anything, ever. Generally, I like Apple products, but not the attitude :).

HBJ

message 19: by Bill (Just a) (new)

Bill (Just a) | 700 comments Leona, Media Monkiey can be used with IPODs although I actually don't use it for that. I use it as part of my home theater set up. It plays well with my other software and ITUNES does not. They have a gold version which carries a modest charge but I just use the standard. I think that is what most people do.

message 20: by Susan (new)

Susan (suze0501) | 37 comments I take some comfort from the fact that I'm obviously not the only one to find iTunes abysmal - I thought I was some sort of techy idiot!

Absolutely agree with you Hunchback - love the hardware, hate the support - well - what support!?!

message 21: by Kristie (new)

Kristie | 2212 comments Back when I was having the iPhone/Android debate, my husband said, "Picture having to get all your apps through iTunes." I bought an Android.

message 22: by Hunchback Jack (new)

Hunchback Jack | 545 comments I don't hate itunes, but then, I don't use it very much, either. I use it for transferring music and non-audible audiobooks to my phone, but I have apps to do pretty much everything else from the phone itself.

Personally, having to deal with iTunes is not reason enough for me to switch to Android. While I'm not an Apple zealot, I do like their phones.

HBJ

message 23: by Hunchback Jack (new)

Hunchback Jack | 545 comments I don't hate itunes, but then, I don't use it very much, either. I use it for transferring music and non-audible audiobooks to my phone, but I have apps to do pretty much everything else from the phone itself.

Personally, having to deal with iTunes is not reason enough for me to switch to Android. While I'm not an Apple zealot, I do like their phones.

HBJ

message 24: by Tjo (last edited Nov 05, 2014 07:07AM) (new)

Tjo | 56 comments I agree, Hunchback. I have an iPhone and iPad, but don't use iTunes for anything other than transferring non-Audible books. And for that, it's pretty painless. But I barely buy any music, movies, etc. through iTunes, I much prefer Amazon and other sources.

I had an Android before my first iPhone, and I definitely prefer the iOS.

message 25: by Janice (new)

Janice (jamasc) | 958 comments I rarely use iTunes' full site. I don't have huge issues using the app on my iPad/iPhone. It's quite simple, actually.

I watched a friend try to find and download an app on her android, and I was glad for Apple. I think it's a matter of what you get used to.

message 26: by Verena (new)

Verena (pidgeon92) | 60 comments I have to say that I really like this new version. I actually find it easier to use than the previous ones. You can choose the view type for each media type from the drop down at the upper right (under the search box). If you choose the list view, its easy to sort columns by clicking the column headers. It's easier to add columns to the different media types.