Yes Please
This topic is about Yes Please
SPOILERS: What We've Read > YES PLEASE: Official Discussion

Comments Showing 1-7 of 7 (7 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Amber, The Founder (new) - added it

Amber (puresurplus) | 830 comments Mod
Member's Choice, December 2014 ☺

Kirsten (ringwraith10) | 20 comments This book is so new, I really hope I Will be able to get it through Interlibrary Loan! I requested it a few days ago, so fingers crossed. :) If I can't get it, I'll probably get a new copy, since I'm sure it's worth every dollar. :)

message 3: by Lila, The Cat Lady (last edited Nov 04, 2014 09:08PM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Lila Lockhart (lilalockhart) | 178 comments Mod
I really enjoyed it, good luck Kirsten! :)

message 4: by [deleted user] (new)

I loved this book! I'm an Amy fan and I though the book was so totally her!

message 5: by Lila, The Cat Lady (new) - rated it 3 stars

Lila Lockhart (lilalockhart) | 178 comments Mod
I wasn't all that familiar with much of Amy's work, but this book certainly has gotten me intrigued. She has such a fabulous personality, which comes across wonderfully through the book!

message 6: by Jez (new) - added it

Jez Layman (typesetjez) | 47 comments I liked this book. I don't think it was the best memoir (or even the best I read this month), but that was perhaps because it only felt like half a memoir. The other half was, if I can steal a phrase from a review, the most self-help non-self-help book. Which is to say, this is a memoir that reads like a self-help book in some parts. And those are the parts I loved best. The chapter on body image and anxiety sticks with me the most strongly.

I still really enjoyed the other parts, though, I just felt they weren't as well written as I'm accustomed to. Poehler has a great voice, but her style is wandering. The stories, however, were interesting to me and I found out a lot about her I didn't previously know, even though I was familiar with much of her work.

If anyone's interested, I also put together a list of Comedian Memoirs for people who liked this book: http://ippl.info/books-movies-more/bo...

message 7: by [deleted user] (last edited Nov 13, 2014 03:12PM) (new)

I do agree with Jez that a lot of the book is about Amy wandering... Maybe that's not the greatest for a book, but I still see so much of the Amy we know in that. I don't know, maybe I'm not a reliable opinion on this, since I'm such a huge fan of Amy and almost everything she does (and I see how cheesy I sound lol).