Ancient & Medieval Historical Fiction discussion

Looking For a Book About.. > History of the Throne

Comments Showing 1-7 of 7 (7 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by GeneralTHC (new)

GeneralTHC | 22 comments I'm about halfway through Bring Up the Bodies. It's really got me interested in the history of the Royal Family. I would really appreciate recommendations for HF that cover this. Anyone know of any good series about this from the death of Henry VIII forward. Or really any era from 900CE onward would do. Any good books will do, but I would especially like it if I could find a long series that covered many of these reigns. Thanks!

message 2: by Darcy (new)

Darcy (drokka) | 2675 comments Hi Chuck,
I recommend perusing the folders in the Modern eras for all manner of referrals. There's definitely no shortage of Tudor historical fiction, Stuart a little less, but still plenty - especially the two Charles. There's a bit on the Regency period, but a lot of that is either dealing with the wars, romances and mysteries - not a lot on royalty except maybe some Victoria.

https://www.goodreads.com/topic/group...

https://www.goodreads.com/topic/group...

message 3: by GeneralTHC (new)

GeneralTHC | 22 comments Thanks Darcy! I'm new to the Tudor period. About all I know is what I've learned via the Hillary Mantel books.

I wish I could find a series that covered the life of Oliver Cromwell.

What would be most awesome is a HF series that follows the Crown for 100 years or more in any period. I'll definitely browse the group--actually I've been searching the discussion posts--but if anyone could suggest some titles I would certainly appreciate it.

message 4: by Darcy (last edited Oct 28, 2014 09:36AM) (new)

Darcy (drokka) | 2675 comments Oliver Cromwell was around the two Charles Stuarts. So, anything about the English Civil War would be what you're looking for. I don't personally know of any series specifically about Oliver Cromwell, but there are a few series about the period. The following are the first books for the three off the top of my head dealing with conditions surrounding the ECW.

The King's Spy
Traitor's Blood
The Bleeding Land

ETA: I totally forgot! One about the start up of journalism during this time

Plague Child

message 5: by Eileen (new)

Eileen Iciek | 544 comments If you are looking for a series covering a number of reigns, you could do worse than Philippa Gregory's The Cousins War series about the War of Roses. They are written from the POV of women, though. Now that I think of it, I can't recall many novelists for that period writing from the POV of the men of the period. Thomas Costain wrote several wonderful books about the Plantagenets, but that was quite a while ago, maybe the 1940s.

message 7: by GeneralTHC (new)

GeneralTHC | 22 comments Thanks for your help, ladies. I very much appreciate it.