Book Lair discussion

Monthly Reads > November 2014

Comments Showing 1-50 of 51 (51 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Ana (new)

Ana (anaslair) | 2312 comments Mod
What are your reading plans for November?

message 3: by Kandice (new)

Kandice Re-read of The Perks of Being a Wallflower for book club
Shiver, Linger and Forever because I just bought the bundle.
Revival at least twice because I always do as soon as one of his comes out.

Then whatever else strikes my fancy. :D

message 4: by Ana (new)

I will continue with r4r books.

Billy Tabbs (& The Glorious Darrow) by Michael P. Michaud Billy Tabbs (& The Glorious Darrow)
by Michael P. Michaud

Isolation by Denise R. Stephenson Isolation
by Denise R. Stephenson

Apotheosis by Ross Friedman Apotheosis
by Ross Friedman

Book of Immortals Disciple by Kassandra Lynn Book of Immortals: Disciple
by Kassandra Lynn

Maybe a short story or two in between. Hopefully I will be able to read this and more but I really have to catch up with real life!

message 5: by Melaslithos (new)

Melaslithos | 1645 comments Nolan, Neverwhere is one of my favorite books ever (did I already went all fangirling over Gaiman here?).

Anyway, I still have to finish my planned books for October, but if I'm done when you are starting Neverwhere, I will gladly read along with you.

message 6: by Kandice (new)

Kandice Melaslithos wrote: "Nolan, Neverwhere is one of my favorite books ever (did I already went all fangirling over Gaiman here?).

Anyway, I still have to finish my planned books for October, but if I'm done ..."

I love, love, love Neil Gaiman! I've seen him at ComicCon numerous times and he is not only an amazing artist, he's an amazing person too. I gush about him whenever I can.

message 7: by Ana (new)

Aww I don't know him as a person but I do like him as a writer :)
Anyone up for a buddy read of the ones I mentioned?

message 8: by Melaslithos (last edited Oct 29, 2014 05:00AM) (new)

Melaslithos | 1645 comments Well, everyone needs to keep a little mystery going on... I'll unveal my favorite books little by little, here and there.

I don't think I'll keep any definite schedule in November. As long as my previous book is finished, I can start a new one, whatever it is.

So for the end of October, I'm finishing Hear Me Scream and I'm keeping Frankenstein for Halloween.

For November, my only rule is "do not buy or request any new book, just read whatever you already have available". I hope to decrease a little bit my pile of to-read books like this.

Hopefully, I already have Neverwhere, and as all Gaiman books, it's always in my to-(re)read pile, so it fits the bill.

message 9: by Ana (new)

I should really do that too, my list of r4r is huge. But I can't help myself when I see something that seems very good. At least I give the author a heads up that the review may take a while.

message 10: by [deleted user] (new)

I'm actually going to finish The Girl with All the Gifts and Michael Patrick Hicks' Consumption before the end of October, so November...

Yikes. November's NaNoWriMo, so I can't be too ambitious. I plan to read Evan Clark's Movers and finish Michael Patrick Hicks' Convergence. And I still have to pick an audiobook to listen to, but I don't get another Audible credit until the 6th, so I have time to figure that out.

message 11: by Melaslithos (new)

Melaslithos | 1645 comments Yes, it's always so tempting to ask for new books, especially when they sound very interesting. But things have gone a bit out of hand lately, and I felt that I was reading because I had to, because I promised the authors a review, and not because I wanted to read.

Also, I like to alternate between genre and language, but the books I had queued for R4R where all in English, and all of the same genre/style, so I also kind of felt fed up with it, in need of a change.

I guess it was too much pressure for me and I needed to take it easy. So no more buying books or requesting any for review...

I mean, last month, when I went back to France, I was "I won't buy any book this time, I already have far too much unread books at home", and I still came back with about 10 books in my suitcase...

So I have this ban on buying/guetting my hand on new books, but not on reading (as if that was going to work).

message 12: by Ana (new)

Yeah I hear you , I feel that way currently, both about reading for obligation instead of pleasure and being a bit fed up with the same genre.

I'll try to hold back on new requests, especially since I have both paperpacks and e-books already standing by.

message 13: by Kandice (new)

Kandice I have so, so many books that I have not yet read and I have yet to request a R4R, but I did try, for one whole year(!), not to buy books, but only read what I already owned. I actually ended up buying only 4 books, 2 by Stephen King, one by Colleen McCullough and one other, so got a LOT of my TBR out of the way, but it was super, super hard!

message 14: by Melaslithos (new)

Melaslithos | 1645 comments Kandice, I have no idea how you do that. I'm always telling myself not to buy books anymore, and still find myseld with lots and lots of new books.

No one wants to go to a bookshop with me anymore because I just go crazy in them.

message 15: by Kandice (new)

Kandice Melaslithos wrote: "Kandice, I have no idea how you do that. I'm always telling myself not to buy books anymore, and still find myseld with lots and lots of new books.

No one wants to go to a bookshop with me anymore..."

It's so much harder now! The year I did it, I just didn't go to the library, bookstores or the thrift store. I even avoided the book section at markets, but now that I have a Nook and can buy books with two finger swipes it would never, ever work!

message 16: by Melaslithos (new)

Melaslithos | 1645 comments Technology just turned against us.

message 17: by Ana (new)

I have to admit I am happy to see that instead of buying games and consoles (at least I don't) and other stuff we buy books. It's the healthiest addiction there is, as far as I am concerned.

But I still love shoes. And pretty clothes. But I don't buy nearly as many as a couple years ago and certainly not as many since I discovered GR. This site really turned my life around. GR = more reading = less time for other things = less money spent on stuff I don't need. Perfect!

message 18: by Melaslithos (new)

Melaslithos | 1645 comments Well, I do read a lot, but I still spend far too much time browsing the net, including e-shops. Just yesterday, I bought (again) several new dresses... (Well, I buy a lot, but I also send back a lot. So in the end, I guess I don't buy that much?)

And shoes! I love shoes! My shoes are overflowing from my shoe cabinet (yes, I do have a shoe cabinet - bigger than my current book shelf, which is also overflowing even though most of my books are currently in carton boxes stocked somewhere). If there is one thing I can't resist, beside books, it's shoes. Unfortunately, shoes are much more expensive.

As a result, there's a thick layer of mixed shoes and books on my floor.

message 19: by Ana (new)

Exactly, shoes are way too expensive, so in order to avoid spending what I shouldn't I don't go to shops at all, especially online. It's so hard to get lost there... Just a couple of clicks and you're lost!

message 20: by Kandice (new)

Kandice I also have a shoe addiction! I wonder if there is any kind of psychological correlation between women, books and shoes. Like the female trifecta or something...hmmm.

message 21: by Melaslithos (new)

Melaslithos | 1645 comments Maybe because shoes are what cover our feet, our support, our link with the earth and the material world.

Books are for the mind, our link to the intellectual world.

Going from head to toe, it encompassed the whole body.

So women who like both are complete women, women integrated with both the material and intellectual world, with an accute acceptance and awareness of their whole body and all the aspects of the world?

message 22: by Ana (new)

Not sure if that applies to me because even though I love shoes I would not wear a lot of them. I browse for shoes as if I were browsing in a museum. Purely to admire :)

message 23: by Kandice (new)

Kandice Melaslithos wrote: "Maybe because shoes are what cover our feet, our support, our link with the earth and the material world.

Books are for the mind, our link to the intellectual world.

Going from head to toe, it en..."

Love, love, love that! And I do own and wear a lot of shoes. :)

message 24: by Melaslithos (new)

Melaslithos | 1645 comments So, coming back to the subject of this thread, this month I am planning on:
- finishing this:
Frankenstein by Mary Shelley
Indeed, my Halloween night didn't really went according to plan and I went out instead of staying reading at home so I haven't had time to finish Frankenstein that night as intended.

- continuing on reading bits of the following book in-between other reads (FYI, it is in the shortlist for GR Awards in the non fiction category, and it is really really good):
What If? Serious Scientific Answers to Absurd Hypothetical Questions by Randall Munroe

- read:
Big Breasts and Wide Hips A Novel by Mo Yan Middlemarch by George Eliot

I might tag along for:
Neverwhere by Neil Gaiman Murder on the Orient Express (Hercule Poirot, #10) by Agatha Christie
But since I am planning on reading quite thick books and my time will certainly be limited this month, I can't promise anything for those.

Regarding the Agatha Christie book, I can't find the exact edition I own. It's a very limited edition (1000 copies I think) leather-bound edition of the book, printed for the Venice-Simplon Orient Express, with gold edges and inscriptions on it. It's still under plastic now, I don't dare open it until I'm ready to read it, so I can't check the exact info yet to add it to GR.

message 25: by Ana (new)

Can you post the ISBN please, Melas?

message 26: by Melaslithos (new)

Melaslithos | 1645 comments Fot he Agatha Christie book? If it has one, it's inside. There's certainly nothing on the cover (or I would have found it already). But that's the one.

message 27: by Ana (new)

I was going to try to find it elsewhere with the ISBN and create the page on GR if it didn't exist, usually it's in the first couple of pages.

message 28: by Melaslithos (new)

Melaslithos | 1645 comments I know. The thing is, as I mentionned it previously, I don't want to open it until I'm ready to read it, and it's not on the cover. It's still under it's film protection now.

I tried to look for it on the web, but all I get are some nice pictures like the one I showed. I'll just create the page when I'm ready to read it.

message 29: by Ana (new)

Sure thing :)

message 30: by Kandice (new)

Kandice Speaking of Agatha Christie, I have a book of hers that is old enough not to have as ISBN number. It's an edition of And Then There Were None when it was still titled "Ten Little Niggers". It was printed in 1939 and only has prices for the UK, Australia, New Zealand and Canada.

It's not available on GR, but looks like this:https://www.google.com/search?q=ten+l...

message 31: by Ana (new)

Wow Kandice that must be extremely valuable!

message 32: by Melaslithos (new)

Melaslithos | 1645 comments Wow. I don't think I'd even dare open such a book, worried that it'll fall apart in my hands.

message 33: by Kandice (new)

Kandice I feel almost guilty owning it, but it was on my grandparents bookshelves when I cleaned out their house and it is pretty rare, so it's on my "special" book case. They also had every single Barbara Cartland, Louis Lamour and Erle Stanley Gardner I think. You can tell where their readng tastes lie! I remember so many summers gobbling those books up. :)

message 34: by Melaslithos (new)

Melaslithos | 1645 comments Every single Barbara Carland! Wow, that must be a huge collection!

message 35: by Kandice (new)

Kandice That woman must have written a book a week. They may not have had every one but they had a couple hundred at least.

message 36: by Ana (new)

Sadly I will not be reading the last book on my list this month. After having just finished Apotheosis, I think I will need a couple of days to reset my brain back into enjoying a book mode.

message 37: by Melaslithos (new)

Melaslithos | 1645 comments My November reading didn't really go according to plan.

I did finished:
Frankenstein by Mary Shelley What If? Serious Scientific Answers to Absurd Hypothetical Questions by Randall Munroe
BTW, I was really disappointed that this latest one didn't win the GR Awards for non-fiction. It's really great!

I did read the following book, as planned (but the review is still pending):
Big Breasts & Wide Hips by Mo Yan

But I didn't read the other books planned. Instead, I went for:
Mixed Blood by Cyjo 地书 从点到点 Dì shū Cóng diǎn dào diǎn  by Xu Bing The Amazing Maurice and His Educated Rodents (Discworld, #28) by Terry Pratchett

Also, under the request of the author, I started:
DeepStorm OutTack by George S. Boughton

So it gives a quite different reading list than as planned, but I loved all those books!

message 38: by Ana (new)

Now that's a big list, Melas! Busy girl!

message 39: by Sarah (new)

Sarah "Pippy" (pippyx) Do you always plan what you are going to read Melas? I Haven't thought to do planning well except for my plan to get through my owned to be read piles, This failed well the buying part, as just added another couple of books to the list.

message 40: by Melaslithos (new)

Melaslithos | 1645 comments I did get a bit carried away last month. I'll slow down a lot this month.

message 41: by Melaslithos (new)

Melaslithos | 1645 comments Well, I do not really "plan". If you compare what I planned at the beginning of November and what I really read, there's a lot of differences.

But yes, there are some books that I plan, because of book club, reviews, GR group readings, etc.

I also like to give a rough idea here at the beginning of each month, as suggested by Ana. It's nice to compare what others are planning, see if we have any common books on our shelves, plan buddy reads, etc.

I also find it fun to see how things never go according to plan ^^.

message 42: by Sarah (new)

Sarah "Pippy" (pippyx) Now come to mention it, I do plan. for another group I am in they have monthly reads and I do try to read at least one of them. And here was me thinking I was a spur of the moment girl hahaha.

message 43: by Melaslithos (new)

Melaslithos | 1645 comments I do believe it's important to plan, but even more to be able to stray from your plans.

message 44: by Ana (new)

Yep Melas is right, that was the main reason why I thought of this folder, if people post what they intend to read then if they have books in common they can do buddy reads, or if a person intends to read a book but doesn't know when and sees another posting they want to read it they can move it up and read together in buddy reads :)

Since I still have a lot of books to read for review it's easier for me to plan ahead, just not to find the time to actually do it...

message 45: by Kandice (new)

Kandice I plan as far as the books clubs I am involved in (monthly reads) and then I buy books because I am excited about them so kind of plan to read them soonish, but somehow, other than the commitments, I always seem to stray!

Right now I am in a slump because I am reading a stinker of a book so have been stuck on that one for almost a week. I was fooled by a pretty cover:

UnEnchanted (An Unfortunate Fairy Tale, #1) by Chanda Hahn

But the book I am listening to is amazing! Serena That too feels like a commitment, because I only picked it up because there's a program where I work called "Chick Flicks" and that's our February pick. You pay $30 and get a full buffet meal at a restaurant then walk to the nearby theatre and see the movie with a snack. Only women are allowed and it is always really fun. Dinner lasts about 2 hours so it's very social. I "work" the event, so don't pay, sand also feel obligated to be a little more informed than the regular attendees.

message 46: by Melaslithos (new)

Melaslithos | 1645 comments UnEnchanted sounds pretty good from the book description only. But the reviews and your opinion are not very encouraging.

message 47: by Kandice (new)

Kandice Melaslithos wrote: "UnEnchanted sounds pretty good from the book description only. But the reviews and your opinion are not very encouraging."

It's a cute story. There is a graphic novel series called "Fables" that I adore and it reminds me of that. Fairy Tale life in OUR world, but the drawback to this particular book isn't the story or plot, but the sloppiness of the writing itself.

The 30 or so pages I read last night were relatively typo free, so maybe things are looking up!

message 48: by Ana (new)

Kandice wrote: "Fairy Tale life in OUR world,"
If you are looking for a similar concept, The Soul and the Seed might be a good option. Not fairies per se but it takes place in the current world and is pretty well written.

message 49: by Kandice (new)

Kandice Ana wrote: "Kandice wrote: "Fairy Tale life in OUR world,"
If you are looking for a similar concept, The Soul and the Seed might be a good option. Not fairies per se but it takes place in the c..."

Thanks! I'll look into it.

message 50: by Sarah (new)

Sarah "Pippy" (pippyx) Just purchased The Soul and the Seed, looks good. I am always looking out for something a little different and I saw your review and many others complimenting it.

« previous 1