Little Brother (Little Brother, #1) Little Brother discussion

Book of Choice

Comments Showing 1-7 of 7 (7 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Connor (new)

Connor Izatt Little Brother by Cory Doctorow

Marcus Yallow and three of his friends skip school to play an online game that prompts them to go on a treasure hunt. While they are in the city, terrorists attack the Bay Bridge. It was very scary and while everyone if freaking out one of Marcus’s friends is stabbed. The boys get picked up by The Department of Homeland Security and they torture them for information about the attack.

All but one of them are released and they are not supposed to talk about what happened to them but they
are being watched. Marcus has a hard time forgetting what happened to them, he is kind of a rebel so he
decides to challenge what is happening. Marcus is really good with technology so he uses it to fight the “little brother” that is the Department of Homeland Security. He uses his Xbox game consoles and develops a version of the Internet by using wireless connections. He also has other kids disrupt radio frequencies. Marcus becomes very popular to the youth and wants to get everyone to stand up and fight.Marcus finds out that his friend Darryl is alive so he changes the internet from a secret system of sending messages to a public system.

I liked this book because it involves teenagers who stand up for what they believe in.
I would recommend reading it.

Rose I loved this book! In my opinion "Little Brother" refers not to the fictional Department of Homeland Security (I sure hope what's described in this book as the activities of Homeland Security is fiction!) but to the thousands of young people who work their knowledge of technology to keep out of the clutch of this evil and expose it for what it is to the rest of an America I still recognize as more good than evil. They are the little brothers who are also watching, working to expose the Big Brother of oppressive government. I learned more about computers and the internet from reading this book than I would have if I had taken a class. It's a fun and scary book and I'm looking forward to reading the next book about Marcus and his friends and adventures!

Lawrence Ambrose I liked the philosophy expressed in the book a lot. The story...well, I thought it started off promisingly - the main character, Marcus, was very likable and bright to me - but then it lost some of its steam as well as its reality. The idea of the FBI turning against the DHS is beyond naive, in my view; also, what was up with the judge yammering on about a stolen phone under these extraordinary circumstances? It would be like a Nuremberg judge fussing over a concentration camp resident stealing a sandwich or something.

Rose Ha ha, Lawrence! I work in criminal court and I see a lot of ridiculous things that only make sense, if they do make sense, because I'm familiar with the context, wouldn't sound right to anyone just reading it in the paper, so I thought that scene was quite amusing. Don't forget, these kids were picked up b homeland security, supposedly for crimes committed and Marcus had, by his own admission, stolen the cell phone that had his friend's picture on it.

Rick Lawrence, I find the idea of one federal agency turning on another completely plausible. It seems that at the highest level there are always power plays going on.

Lawrence Ambrose There's a vast difference between political power plays and actual forcible ones. Can you think of any examples of federal agencies forcibly battling each other - I mean, with physical force? Other than the Civil War, nothing's coming to my mind. The idea of the FBI or even any law enforcement agency doing physical battle with the DHS is beyond naive, and would be utterly unprecedented.

Rick Good point, it has been months since I read the book and my recall isn't perfect. However it *is* fiction and if there's any agency that I think could get out of hand enough for another agency to take violent action against it's DHS.