Gail Carriger Fan Group discussion

Waistcoats & Weaponry (Finishing School, #3)
This topic is about Waistcoats & Weaponry
Coop de Book Group > November Read: Waistcoats & Weaponry by Gail Carriger (YA)

Comments Showing 1-22 of 22 (22 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Skye (Skye's Scribblings) (last edited Oct 27, 2014 06:57PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Skye (Skye's Scribblings) | 241 comments Mod
This month Gail has chosen her own book! I think we'd be interested in reading it, don't you? ;)

Let's discuss!

Please note the page or chapter you're on at the start of your comment so if someone isn't that far yet they can avoid possible spoilers - thank you! :)

Nicqui | 125 comments Yes! Yes! Yes!

Erin (miss_eepy) | 9 comments Did anyone else order the signed version of W&W from B&N? And if so, has your copy shipped yet? Just curious... I've been keeping a close eye on my order :)

Kittie Royale (kittieroyale) | 8 comments I just ordered my copy on Sunday from Amazon. Unfortunately, it won't arrive until the end of next week as its shipped from the UK and sometimes Austria seems to be pretty far away. So I wait... more or less patiently. ;)

Johanna | 6 comments Happy Happy! I ordered my copy today!

Nicqui | 125 comments I'm getting my copy on my way home from work. So excited! Bouncing off the walls excited! *squeeeeee*

Brooke  (brookeluvsbooks) I just got my copy and I can't wait to start when I get home from work!!!

message 8: by Viktoria (new) - added it

Viktoria | 33 comments Thank you all for reminding me to order. Ordered two copies, one to keep and one for my niece (I gave her the first 2 in the series). Also pre-ordered Prudence because... well, tea and dirigibles is reason enough. ;)

Allie | 57 comments After not having it on Amazon all this time, even calling them and asking why it wasn't available. It showed up as an available ebook last night at midnight 11/4/2014.

message 10: by Allie (last edited Nov 04, 2014 08:31PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Allie | 57 comments Erin wrote: "Did anyone else order the signed version of W&W from B&N? And if so, has your copy shipped yet? Just curious... I've been keeping a close eye on my order :)"

My copy has not shipped as of yet.

message 11: by Erin (new) - rated it 4 stars

Erin (miss_eepy) | 9 comments Allie wrote:

My copy has not shipped as of yet."

Oh good! Then I won't panic quite yet. (And don't even get me started on Amazon. I'm boycotting them now -- which I probably should've done a long time ago anyway -- because they completely mishandled a situation with a different pre-ordered, signed book. Which is probably why I'm so nervous about my W&W order. Please don't let me down, B&N!)

message 12: by Allie (last edited Nov 05, 2014 04:18PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Allie | 57 comments Erin wrote: "Allie wrote:

My copy has not shipped as of yet."

Oh good! Then I won't panic quite yet. (And don't even get me started on Amazon. I'm boycotting them now -- which I probably should've done a lon..."

UPDATE - I called B&N about delivery status of the W&W signed book. He said that there were no signed W&W books in the B&E warehouse. That they were waiting to receive them from the Publisher. That we should have received a status email today, of which I still hadn't received.

message 13: by Erin (new) - rated it 4 stars

Erin (miss_eepy) | 9 comments Thanks for the info, Allie! I haven't received an email either. I've been following the situation on the PP Facebook group: https://m.facebook.com/groups/2194049...

Yvette (bookworlder) As one of the people who pre-ordered a signed copy from B&N, I was really disappointed to receive an email canceling my order. Now to decide (again) where to get a copy...

message 15: by Erin (new) - rated it 4 stars

Erin (miss_eepy) | 9 comments Yvette wrote: "As one of the people who pre-ordered a signed copy from B&N, I was really disappointed to receive an email canceling my order. Now to decide (again) where to get a copy..."

Yes, it's frustrating! As soon as I got the email, I went to my local indie bookstore and ordered a regular, unsigned copy, which should be here Wednesday.

Anna Neal | 6 comments I just finished this book last night spoilers ahead!

lol at the engagement to Pillover.

Why would Sophronia pick such a feminine weapon when she disguises herself as a boy all the time? Probably because bladed fans are awesome.

Why does Monique suck so much? I can't imagine anything good will happen to her in the final book unless she sucks it up and becomes Sophronia's ally finally.

I loved how both of the boys Sophronia liked got shot in this book. But the ending was so sad! I realized after reading this book I must reread Parasol Protectorate.

I was hoping for a Patronage from Lord Akeldama and was surprised this didn't happen. Gail Carriger is always keeping me on my toes I guess.

Nicqui | 125 comments I've been dying to have someone to gush over this story with...Yay!

I love the idea of Sophronia marrying Pill. He never occurred to me as a potential partner but now that I see where the chips are landing (unless Felix makes a big comeback) he seems like the ideal choice. Soph could do whatever she wanted and he wouldn't care. They would have an easy sort of friendship and companionship even if not passionate love and Dimity would be her sister.

I love the idea of the bladed fan too and the one on the cover looks epic.

Monique deserves every bad thing that karma can drum up for her. She's the ideal nemesis to Soph - no matter how much you think she's gone she just pops back up like a bad penny. I can't wait to see what her story for the last book will be. I feel like she wouldn't be able to set pride aside to be an ally.

I didn't even realize that they both got shot until you mentioned it. That's such rotten luck. After the successful metamorphosis I started rereading Parasol. I wanted to see if there was any indication that our new wolf made an appearance that went unnoticed due to ignorance. I will admit I cried - mixed feeling tears - I'm glad he was able to get what he wanted in the end but I'm also sad that it had to come to that.

I was hoping for his patronage too. I'm not discounting it yet but I'm glad events seem to be pointing to the Dewan. Based on Sophronia's moral code I prefer her working directly for the Crown rather than for independent interests.

Argh! I need the next book now. I can't wait a year. Thank God Prudence comes out in March to give me a little sanctuary.

Anna Neal | 6 comments More spoilers.

I agree, I liked the idea that Pill would marry Soph. But I do love a good love story and romance. So I hope something juicy happens with Soap or even Felix (even though he ratted) since there has been so much tension.

I loved Sophronia's quote “I want a man who stays out of my way.” (As you will probably get shot if you don't apparently.)

Also I forgot I love how Dimity is starting to kick ass.

Nicqui | 125 comments Yes! Dimity is really taking in her spy lessons, whether she wanted to or not.

I hope when Pill finally hits puberty he'll be a knock-out and all the girls will flock to him, even more than they did before.

I like the idea of Soap's condition putting him in a position to be worthy of Sophronia by society's standards and especially if he's a a loner like the Dewan. I'm just forming that story in my head as we speak. Maybe it's Alexia and Conall 1.0.

I think either Soap or Pill could be that man for Sophronia if that quote is really what she's looking for in a husband.

Felix needs to start being his own man if he ever hopes to get a girl like Sophronia.

message 20: by Erin (new) - rated it 4 stars

Erin (miss_eepy) | 9 comments I still need to read my copy. But just FYI - today I got the following email from Barnes & Noble. Sounds like they found the missing signed books (or got them back from the flywaymen)!

"We are writing to you about your Barnes & Noble pre-order for the signed edition of “Waistcoats & Weaponry” by Gail Carriger.

We’re sorry we were unable to fulfill your order. We’ve cancelled this portion of your order and you were not billed for this amount.

We have copies of this book in our Distribution Center and we hope you will place another order for this book with us. You can get started by clicking on this link to go directly to this title on our website:

http://www.barnesandnoble.com/w/waist....

Please accept our sincere apologies for any inconvenience this may have caused, and thank you for shopping with us."

Irene | 5 comments Not sure how I feel because when I pre ordered my signed copy it was priced at 10.00 and they are now offering the books they misplaced at the higher price of 18.00. I totally feel that Gail's books are worth the money but feel that Barnes and Noble should honor the old price since most of us have already purchased a non signed copy when they originally cancelled the order. Ill hold off until Gail comes back to do a bookstore signing.