Literary Fiction by People of Color discussion

Men We Reaped
This topic is about Men We Reaped
'Men We Reaped' wins 2014 Heartland Prize for Nonfiction

Comments Showing 1-5 of 5 (5 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Wilhelmina Jenkins | 2049 comments Jesmyn Ward, whose fiction we have read and discussed here, has won the 2014 Heartland Prize for Nonfiction for her wonderful memoir, Men We Reaped. Big thanks to Columbus for the heads-up on Ward's book event with Natasha Trethewey recently. Seeing both of these Mississippi-born women whose writing I love discussing the losses that they have experienced and write about was something I'll never forget.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/lifesty...

message 2: by ColumbusReads (new)

ColumbusReads (coltrane01) | 3703 comments Mod
Wilhelmina wrote: "Jesmyn Ward, whose fiction we have read and discussed here, has won the 2014 Heartland Prize for Nonfiction for her wonderful memoir, Men We Reaped. Big thanks to C..."

Oh, I missed it Mina. Glad you enjoyed it!

Wilhelmina Jenkins | 2049 comments Columbus, they could have been cousins - in fact, N.T. said that people often asked her if she was from J.W.'s home town. Both talked about the affect of Hurricane Katrina on their families and both occasionally had tears in their eyes. It was amazing.

Beverly | 2871 comments Mod
Glad to hear Ms. Ward received another award.

The event with sounded like fun.

message 5: by Monica (new) - added it

Monica (monicae) | 457 comments Couldn't find the link for book deals, but Men We Reaped by Jesmyn Ward is on sale today at Amazon (kindle) for $3.85

Literary Fiction by People of Color

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

Men We Reaped (other topics)

Authors mentioned in this topic

Natasha Trethewey (other topics)
Jesmyn Ward (other topics)