What's the Name of That Book??? discussion

Query abandoned by poster > flying kites from the top of a highrise building

Comments Showing 1-9 of 9 (9 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Carl (new)

Carl | 5 comments I almost feel guilty posting this because I have so little information. About 10 years ago I picked up a book in an airport to read while traveling. I think it was set in New York City. The main character meets some people who seem to have fantastic powers. About halfway thru there was a scene where the main character and his new friends are flying kites from the top of an apartment building. I remember that I enjoyed the book as far as I got but I sat it down in a restaurant in O'Hare airport and forgot it.

message 2: by Lobstergirl, au gratin (new)

Lobstergirl | 39249 comments Mod
Was this adult ficton, YA, or children's?

message 3: by Carl (new)

Carl | 5 comments adult fiction

message 4: by Carl (new)

Carl | 5 comments I think there was witchcraft involved but in a sort of modern way.

message 5: by Tab (new)

Tab (tabbrown) | 4999 comments Carl, do you remember anything about the cover?
What time period did the story take place?

Was it a fantasy, mystery, horror, etc?
Tone: mysterious, funny, reflective, etc?

message 6: by Carl (new)

Carl | 5 comments All I remember about the cover is it was dark, possibly a city skyline at night. I was set in present times (late 90s). It was a mysterious mystery. The main character (male) met another character (female) in at a party and was drawn to her for a reason he didn't understand. He met her again and was drawn into her circle of friends. You were given the impression that they were different although they had normal lives and jobs. To the people they were around every day they seemed normal run-of-the-mill folks.

message 7: by Carl (new)

Carl | 5 comments I remembered more recently. We find out that the main character was drawn into the group for a reason. Like the others he has some unique skill (or power?) that contributes to the group but no one (including him) knows what that is. As far as he knows he is just an average Joe leading an average life.

message 8: by Lobstergirl, au gratin (new)

Carl, are you still looking for this or did you find it?

message 9: by Lobstergirl, au gratin (new)

No response; moving to Abandoned.