SOS: Serious Overload of Series discussion

Archive: Past Team Challenges > R10: Team #4 ~ French Toast Mafia

Comments Showing 1-50 of 219 (219 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3 4 5

message 1: by Steph, Serious series addict (last edited Oct 30, 2014 02:26PM) (new)

Steph (angel4492) | 29004 comments Team #4
Captain: Rosina

Members:
Judithe
Natalie
Vivian
Rosina
Rachel

message 2: by Steph, Serious series addict (new)

Steph (angel4492) | 29004 comments Just a Hop, Skip & Click Away
Happy Reading!

Shelf Announcements ~ Check for the latest shelf announcements & review the requirements for each shelf
Free Space Rules ~ Where to look when pickin' your free space book
Stamp Me! ~ Request a stamp for your bingo card
Discussions ~ Throughout the game, head here to chat with other players & shelf chant til your heart's content
Bingo FAQ ~ Don't hesitate! If you have a question, let us know.

message 3: by Steph, Serious series addict (new)

Steph (angel4492) | 29004 comments Hiya, Team Caps! Thanks for volunteering to guide your team through a round of BookShelf Bingo!

Your job, should you choose to accept it, will require a few things:
1 ~ Be our go-to person should we have any questions about your team
2 ~ Organize your teammate's weekly reads for each shelf/category so that the BSB Ninjas can quickly and easily verify and approve your stamp request(s)
3 ~ Encourage and motivate your team (you may also ask to borrow Judithe's whip whenever necessary)
4 ~ Post regularly to ensure your team is communicating and on track each week (Send them a PM and friendly poke if they haven't posted at least once a week, noted their book choice, and/or appear to have dropped out of webspace)
5 ~ Send us a PM (Steph, Sandra or Judithe) should you need us for any reason throughout the game

message 4: by Steph, Serious series addict (last edited Dec 09, 2014 04:14PM) (new)

Steph (angel4492) | 29004 comments Link to print your own copy: BINGO card

SOS book shelf bingo card

message 5: by Steph, Serious series addict (new)

Steph (angel4492) | 29004 comments ...

message 6: by Vivian (new)

Vivian (_vivian) | 1934 comments Hi Team!!! I'm excited to play another round of bingo, it's been many many moons since I last played. I have a so many freebies on the kindle waiting for me, though I'm pretty sure I'll end up with wishing there were more options once we get started :) Happy Monday!

message 7: by Judithe, Soap Operas never end.... (new)

Judithe | 6408 comments Good morning, and happy Tuesday! (Love the way we're spread out around the world!) I'm a bingo regular and looking forward to reading with you!

message 8: by Rosina (new)

Rosina | 1446 comments Hi everyone I am excited to play this round of Bingo...I haven't done this type before usually I do the SOS shelf bingo....I have so many freebies I need to clear out...

message 9: by Natalie (new)

Natalie | 496 comments Hi all! I don't have a ton of freebies, but I like the library and trying new things. I did check my books and found two that are I think perma-free on kindle:

A Hidden Fire: Amazon link
which would work for 'E' (series/author) and 'H' (title/author), 'DE' (title)

The Emperor's Edge: Amazon link
which would work with 'E' (title/series), 'B' (author), 'ER' (title/series/author)

Guess I'll start combing through the books I haven't read to figure out what works for our card. Looking forward to another BINGO round :)

Rachel- Goodbye Borders (rachelgoodbyeborders) | 1339 comments The Emperor's Edge is good, recommended!
Hello everyone!
I've done captain before, including the last round, so I would like to sit this one out. However, I can do if no one else wants to.
Not great on team names.
Freebies 'R' Us
Crazy 4 Freebies

Rachel- Goodbye Borders (rachelgoodbyeborders) | 1339 comments Free space choices:
Declan and Tori (page 6 SOS Book Freebie)
or
The Werewolf Prince and I (shifter)
or
Once Bitten, Forever Burned (shifter)

message 12: by Rosina (new)

Rosina | 1446 comments Here is another one for free space choice
Delicate Freakn' Flower (Freakn' Shifters, #1) by Eve Langlais

Cant wait for tomorrow to start reading...

message 13: by Judithe, Soap Operas never end.... (last edited Oct 28, 2014 04:56PM) (new)

Judithe | 6408 comments Wednesday here, and wishing it were the same day as Steph! LOL....(come back to Japan, Steph....hate waiting even longer!)

I am super busy right now, which is the usual state of life for me once university semesters start (teach at uni & privately in Japan). No worries about reading time~much prefer reading to TV.

Anyway, I'm not the best choice for captain right now, but have been before and can step up to do it, or share some with someone (ie one of us is the Bingo stamp requester, and one updates our status on here). I've also dusted off the whip and am willing to loan it out (just gotta make sure it doesn't need to be used on moi!) As I'm a mod, I will be around a lot, though I'm rather quiet...*sneakily lurking in unexpected places...*

One team ALREADY has a name...any ideas?

message 14: by Judithe, Soap Operas never end.... (new)

Judithe | 6408 comments Four

Four the win
Free4All
4tuitous BookHounds/Fortuitous BookHounds(fortuitous=happening by chance, especially in a way that is lucky or convenient)

4 Love of Book

Yeah, yeah, yeah...nothing brilliant so will stock up on caffeine and come back later!

message 15: by Judithe, Soap Operas never end.... (last edited Oct 28, 2014 05:04PM) (new)

Judithe | 6408 comments BTW, where IS everyone? (Geographically, not at this moment, though you can add that, too, if you feel like it!)

I'm in Japan. Roughly 16 or 17 hours ahead of Steph. So 9 a.m. ish on Wednesday is 1 or 2 a.m. on Thursday for me...*sob* middle of the night shelves! Wait...not sure of the post time...we'll see, and maybe Steph will wake up extra early just so Sandra and I can dream happy dreams! Or pull an all-nighter reading! LOL!)

message 16: by Vivian (new)

Vivian (_vivian) | 1934 comments So I'm not the best with team names but here's a punny joke for you...

What did the hungry clock do?
It went back four seconds!

Regarding team captain, I'm kinda busy with work, school, and life crazies so might not be the best pick for captain.

I'm hanging out in Steph's time zone but that does me no good because I'm going to get a shelf at 9 and then still have a full day of work ahead of me before I can get to picking and reading a book!

Back to team names, we can go completely random:
French Toast Mafia
Naked Mole Rats
The Flipfloppers

message 17: by Natalie (new)

Natalie | 496 comments I'm on the east coast so it will be around lunch time for the shelf call. I started making a list for the different shelves, but hit the back button and hadn't saved. At least no one can win for this first week so I'm not worried about taking my time to figure out my options.

I was trying figure out a team name like "Will Read 4 Freebies" or "Will Work 4 Freebies" but I don't really love either of them. From the above I like Free4All, though it isn't very intimidating. French Toast Mafia is my favorite random name.

I could maybe share the captain duties with you Judithe. This is only my second go around so I don't think I'd want to take on the whole thing. I could probably do the statuses since I should be able to be online around the time of the shelf calls.

message 18: by Judithe, Soap Operas never end.... (new)

Judithe | 6408 comments Captain call...summary:

Judithe-good as long as a teamie helps out
Natalie-willing to be a co-captain
Vivian-also "enjoying" the crazy RL so would rather pass
Rosina-Bingo regular...how do you feel about being captain?
Rachel-needs a captain break

So, Rosina, would you like to be captain? This is a good team that wouldn't be stressful to lead (uh.hmmm...no one make me eat my words! *grin*) And lotsno of help around! If you want to pass, Natalie and I will do it(Ha...Natalie, no post editing now cause you've agreed and there are witnesses!)

Really, it's fun, and no big deal anyway it shakes out. Just ready to read...off to peak if there is a shelf announcement as it is getting really really really close. (Just among us, I'm also procrastinating...one more project, dishes, rice & coffee to finish/prep before I can snuggle into my blankets...)

message 19: by Natalie (new)

Natalie | 496 comments First call is live!

"B" & "ER"

https://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/...

Rachel- Goodbye Borders (rachelgoodbyeborders) | 1339 comments French Toast Mafia made me laugh, so I vote for that one:-) I work nights, so it's my bedtime now (In Idaho which is mountain time). Off to look at shelves.....

Rachel- Goodbye Borders (rachelgoodbyeborders) | 1339 comments Free: Declan and Tori SOS eVantage pg 6

ER: Jax and the Beanstalk Zombies by Avery Flynn, free right now on Kindle meets (barely) at 102pgs. Perfect for Halloween.

B: Bait

message 22: by Rosina (new)

Rosina | 1446 comments Judithe wrote: "Captain call...summary:

Rosina-Bingo regular...how do you fee..."

Sure I can do captain duty....

message 23: by Rosina (new)

Rosina | 1446 comments I like French Toast Mafia also

message 24: by Rosina (last edited Dec 06, 2014 07:06AM) (new)

Rosina | 1446 comments updated to 213

Week 6 DE
Judithe My Dead Boyfriend title;
Natalie Gilded title; kindle freebie
Vivian
Rosina
Rachel

Week 6 P
Judithe Project ELE title;
Natalie I Am Livia by Phyllis T. Smith P for author; kindle freebie
Vivian
Rosina
Rachel

Week 5 A
✔Judithe Jax and the Beanstalk Zombies by Avery Flynn A for author; kindle freebie Dec 3 4✰
✔NatalieShadows of the Soul by Angelique Armae A for author; kindle freebie Dec 3 2.5✰
✔Vivian A Touch of Midnight by Lara Adrian A for author; kindle freebie Dec 1 3.5✰
✔Rosina Wizards & Whores by Addison Garr A for author; kindle freebie Dec 2 1✰
✔Rachel Lady X's Cowboy by Zoe Archer A for author; long time freebie Dec 5 3.5✰

Week 5 G
✔Judithe Give Me by L.K. Rigel title; kindle freebie Dec 1 4✰
✔Natalie The Greyfriar by Clay Griffith G for author; Library Dec 03 4.5✰
✔VivianChains of Frost by T.A. Grey G for author; kindle freebie Dec 4 4✰
Rosina Pinehurst by Nicole Grane G for author; kindle freebie
✔Rachel Lady Eve's Indiscretion (The Duke's Daughters, #4) by Grace Burrowes G for author;from Free Little Library Dec 2 4✰

❈❈❈❈❈❈❈❈❈❈Stamped Shelves❈❈❈❈❈❈❈❈❈❈

Free Space (view spoiler)

Week 1 B (view spoiler)

Week 1 ER (view spoiler)

Week 2 LO (view spoiler)

Week 2 N (view spoiler)

Week 3 HA (view spoiler)

Week 3 D (view spoiler)

Week 4 L (view spoiler)

Week 4 CH (view spoiler)

message 25: by Vivian (new)

Vivian (_vivian) | 1934 comments Apparently French Toast Mafia is an existing thing...Here's a cute image I found - we can say there were initially 6 members but one got lost along the way...

Not saying we have to use the name, if someone would prefer something else that's cool too. Just wanted to share my findings :)

message 26: by Judithe, Soap Operas never end.... (new)

Judithe | 6408 comments Oh...that's fun! I like that! (French Toast Mafia! With our "ghost" member...)

Thanks, Captain Rosina!

I'm off to work, so will post my books this evening...and have a full day to read tomorrow (and a Halloween party...fun! First party with adults in a couple of decades!)

message 27: by Rosina (new)

Rosina | 1446 comments Our sixth member should be a shifter who is invisible

message 28: by Vivian (last edited Nov 02, 2014 08:07PM) (new)

Vivian (_vivian) | 1934 comments My picks:
'B': Burn for Me (got with gift card and super excited to read it!!)
'ER': Delicate Freakn' Flower (series: Freakin shiftERs) - Kindle freebie

ETA:
Freebie: Jax and the Beanstalk Zombies SOS eVantage - message 4145, page 83

message 29: by Rosina (new)

Rosina | 1446 comments Judithe wrote: "Oh...that's fun! I like that! (French Toast Mafia! With our "ghost" member...)

Thanks, Captain Rosina!

I'm off to work, so will post my books this evening...and have a full day to read tomorr..."

I have a Halloween party on Friday night as well....cant wait...fun fun...

message 30: by Rosina (new)

Rosina | 1446 comments When you post your choices could you also let us know where you got it ~~ library, ebook freebie, borrowed from friend, purchased with gift card, thnx

message 31: by Vivian (new)

Vivian (_vivian) | 1934 comments Rosina wrote: "When you post your choices could you also let us know where you got it ~~ library, ebook freebie, borrowed from friend, purchased with gift card, thnx"

Edited my post :)

message 32: by Rosina (new)

Rosina | 1446 comments Vivian wrote: "Rosina wrote: "When you post your choices could you also let us know where you got it ~~ library, ebook freebie, borrowed from friend, purchased with gift card, thnx"

Edited my post :)"

Thnx looking forward to your review of Burn for Me gotta see if the library has a copy

message 33: by Rosina (new)

Rosina | 1446 comments Week 1: B

Bacchus (Phantom Warriors, #1) by Jordan Summers
finished: Oct 30/14
3 stars

Review: What a different story that was. Bacchus is one of the last of his race from a place called Zaron. He is part vampire and part reptile - snake. He travels to earth as a stowaway to find a female who will be suitable for mating. He meets Carrie who is a herpetologist. I enjoyed it and perhaps would read more in the series.

message 34: by Judithe, Soap Operas never end.... (new)

Judithe | 6408 comments Rosina wrote: "Our sixth member should be a shifter who is invisible"

LOL! And his name would be??? (OK, it could be a her as well, but I'm all for adopting an invisible stud on our team!)

message 35: by Judithe, Soap Operas never end.... (new)

Judithe | 6408 comments Finally getting around to posting my selections! Tentative, but this is where I'm starting. If any is too bad to continue, I'll let ya know!

B: Three Days in Seattle (freebie from a daily e-deal site)

ER: The Spirit KeepER(also a freebie from a daily e-deal site)

Free Space: Delicate Freakn' Flower (shifter)

Three Days in Seattle by Debra Burroughs The Spirit Keeper (The Spirit Keeper, #1) by Melissa Luznicky Garrett Delicate Freakn' Flower (Freakn' Shifters, #1) by Eve Langlais

message 36: by Vivian (new)

Vivian (_vivian) | 1934 comments Judithe - I'm not saying you're wrong but if we've got a stud here, someone needs to have the power to make him visible. Otherwise what's the point??

Rosina - I'm only a couple chapters in but already hooked on this new world!

Rachel- Goodbye Borders (rachelgoodbyeborders) | 1339 comments Done 10/30 4* ER shelf
Jax and the Beanstalk Zombies (Fairy True Book 1) by Avery Flynn by Avery Flynn (Kindle freebie)
I enjoyed this more than I thought I would. Laugh-out-loud hilarious. It has giggling zombies, a fetching goose, and betrayal. I thought it was well-paced with it's 100-ish page length.

"Don't drool on my boobs. It's not polite."

message 38: by Rosina (new)

Rosina | 1446 comments Judithe wrote: "Rosina wrote: "Our sixth member should be a shifter who is invisible"

LOL! And his name would be??? (OK, it could be a her as well, but I'm all for adopting an invisible stud on our team!)"

I go stud...hmmm something French perhaps....Pierre...

message 39: by Rosina (new)

Rosina | 1446 comments Vivian wrote: "Judithe - I'm not saying you're wrong but if we've got a stud here, someone needs to have the power to make him visible. Otherwise what's the point??

Rosina - I'm only a couple chapters in but alr..."

Perhaps his appearance is linked to Judithe's whip

@Vivian I reserved and am 4th in line...maybe mid November...cant wait...

message 40: by Rosina (new)

Rosina | 1446 comments Rachel- Goodbye Borders wrote: "Done 10/30 4* ER shelf
Jax and the Beanstalk Zombies (Fairy True Book 1) by Avery Flynn by Avery Flynn (Kindle freebie)
I enjoyed this more than I thought I would. Laugh-out-loud hilarious. It has giggling ..."

Off to see if its still free....

message 41: by Natalie (new)

Natalie | 496 comments Okay, I got a bit busy but here's where I'm going to start for BINGO

Free Space: Serpent's Kiss Serpent's Kiss (Elder Races, #3) by Thea Harrison shifter book from the library

"B": Burden of the Soul Burden of the Soul by Kate Grace , title, kindle freebie

"ER": Pride and Platypus: Mr. Darcy's Dreadful Secret Pride and Platypus Mr. Darcy's Dreadful Secret by Vera Nazarian by Vera Nazarian, author, kindle freebie

message 42: by Rosina (new)

Rosina | 1446 comments FYI I won't be back till tomorrow nite will do updates then. Happy Halloween.

message 43: by Judithe, Soap Operas never end.... (new)

Judithe | 6408 comments Rosina wrote: "Rachel- Goodbye Borders wrote: "Done 10/30 4* ER shelf
I enjoyed this more than I thought I would. Laugh-out-l..."

Ahh...still free! Picked up this one, too! (Uhoh...not reducing the freebie shelf...have picked up several just this week!)

message 44: by Vivian (new)

Vivian (_vivian) | 1934 comments I picked up Jax the other day too. I have a feeling I'm going to add more freebies than I read during this round lol.

Rosina - if you like Ilona Andrews, I'm fairly confident you will love this too :) I'm so torn between rushing through it and making it last.

Rachel- Goodbye Borders (rachelgoodbyeborders) | 1339 comments I changed my B book to: Born (B Cubed #1) by Jenna McCormick Freebie (Kindle)
3* Finished Nov 1

This dystopian/post-apocalyptic world is an interesting one. Due to weather extremes, people live underground and rely on thermal suits when they aren't. A segment of the population are privileged (Born). Born men have all the power; Born women serve the men. The Bred are slaves. The Borg are enhanced and they are feared by the Born and Bred. Not all is at is seems.
Plot is sacrificed because of the length (at just over 100 pages) and sexy times. This would have been better (I think) if longer. I wasn't crazy about this in the beginning. One character whipped the other when the other found a forbidden book. The whippee than prostituted themselves out so the other wouldn't turn them in. Then, of course, neither Allora and Cormack are what they seem.
Cliches abound. Virginity- "Let him be the one to capture her maidenhead." Penis size- "...but imagining that monster inside her body...he'd rend her in two." Insta-love- "Only One." This story takes place in about a day.

message 46: by Vivian (new)

Vivian (_vivian) | 1934 comments Free space: Jax and the Beanstalk Zombies
Finished: Nov 1
Rating: 4 stars

This was a rather complete story packed into 100 pages with lots of little twists plus fun on a magic carpet. I enjoyed the writing and would definitely read something else by the author.
It's not really important to the story but I liked that Veronica is Korean-American but the only reason you know that is it was mentioned once and then there's a reference to her grandmother's kimchi. Diversity in stories is nice :)

B: Burn for Me
Rating: 5 stars

Just a little background. I'm in love with this writing duo and their blog is bookmarked on my phone and possibly the first site I visit in the morning.
Burn for Me is good. Like really good. I'm not going to recap for you, go read the book! Just a few little notes:
1. The magical worlds that these authors create are so amazing to me (though the Facebook and Twitter references did weird me out a bit, maybe because there's no tech in Kate Daniels). I always find reading about them fascinating and not at all info-dumpy.
2. The characters are interesting and complex and I want to meet them in person (even the crazy evil villains who deserve to be kicked in the balls). Mad Rogan is my new favorite person. I wanted to highlight a gazillion quotes and exchanges between him and Nevada but I refrained. He might be a mad crazy killer but he's a thoughtful one:
“I would really like to know", he said with genuine curiosity. "The next time I kill someone, I'd like to do it in a way that doesn't freak you out.”
Nevada's family is crazy and I could picture myself living in a tree house on their land.
3. Sexual tension and build-up, yum. There's some insta-lust but it's all quite enjoyable ;)
4. Story, plot twists, humor, major butt-kicking, etc. All the usual fun things.
Now I'm sad that there's such a long wait until the next one.

message 47: by Rosina (new)

Rosina | 1446 comments Vivian wrote:
B: Burn for Me
Rating: 5 stars

Just a little background. I'm in love with this writing duo and their blog is bookmarked on my phone and possibly the first site I visit in the morning. "

Awesome...cant wait to ready my copy when the library releases it....

message 48: by Judithe, Soap Operas never end.... (new)

Judithe | 6408 comments I've finished my shelf books...will get reviews up today!

message 49: by Judithe, Soap Operas never end.... (new)

Judithe | 6408 comments The Spirit Keeper (The Spirit Keeper, #1) by Melissa Luznicky Garrett
The Spirit KeepER by Melissa Luznicky Garrett
Week 1 ER
Date finished: 11/01/14
Rating: ★★★☆☆ and a half
Thoughts:

I think this was a kindle freebie-of-the-day, and the cover attracted me, as well as the Native American (rather than European) paranormal slant.

From the blurb:
After her mother and grandparents die in a raging house fire, eleven-year-old Sarah Redbird ends up in the custody of her aunt and uncle. Six years later, Sarah discovers the fire may not have been an accident at all, but a deliberate act of revenge.

Sarah’s family has kept the truth of their Native American heritage secret her entire life, refusing to acknowledge where they came from. But when a family that has direct ties to their past moves to town, Sarah’s true identity is revealed.

What Sarah soon learns is that some secrets are better left unspoken.

It took a bit for me to get into it, and the heroine is rather young and not having a good time of it in high school. The intrigue and slow revelation of secrets was fairly well timed, but found myself guessing what would happen ahead of time.

There is young romance, tension and excitement about what she/he/they are and it's overall a nice story. There is another in the series, and I'll check it out. If it's free or a very good price, I'll be picking it up (nothing bad about the book, but it's not a new favorite so need to be careful of my budget so I can get the books I'm dying to have!).

message 50: by Judithe, Soap Operas never end.... (new)

Judithe | 6408 comments Three Days in Seattle by Debra Burroughs
Three Days in Seattle by Debra Burroughs
Week 1: B
Date finished: 11/02/14
Rating: ★★★★☆
Thoughts:

Another kindle freebie that I thought would work nice for a challenge, but it has instead languished on my TBR shelf.

It's not paranormal, but is a romantic suspense. It was a quick lively read, with some thrilling tension. The timing was quick and very well-paced and I liked the characters...the romantic leads were believable and interesting, and so were the villains. It had a happy end, and I'll keep an eye out for this author's books.

For more about the story: (Sorry...just really dislike doing plot summaries!!! Also, the blurbs are interesting...that IS their job!)

Revenge. Romance. Murder.
A gorgeous Blonde, a kidnapped Sister, a handsome Stranger, and a vengeful Killer.
The desperate race is on to find the sister before both women wind up dead.
A Romantic Suspense novel that will curl your toes.

« previous 1 3 4 5