The Blood of Olympus (The Heroes of Olympus, #5) The Blood of Olympus discussion

Were you happy with the ending?

Comments Showing 1-47 of 47 (47 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Pluto Person Umm... I thought Leo actually had an amazing conclusion. The only thing I would change are the POVs and the fact that Leo basically did everything that stopped Gaea. It seemed as if the other six were watching from the sidelines. :/

message 2: by Alondra (last edited Oct 27, 2014 06:22PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Alondra I've been frustrated on the topic of the ending. It was good and it made me completely lose it at the end but so many unanswered questions. The whole idea that no body knows what happened to leo or if anything was resolved between the gods and the demi-god(the whole everyone gets a place) and once again no body knows what happened to leo. I mean it was pure evil of RR to do yet another cliffhanger on one the most anticipated last book of the HOO series,!come on! He said no more PJ and the gang for quite some time because of the Chase books:(
Yet I could also complain on the lack of Percy and Annabeth at the end but that in its own set of discussions.
I LOVED IT and everything but I NEED QUESTIONS AND MORE BOOKS,POSSIBLY,mostly likely, A TV SERIES IN ORDER TO LIVE NORMALLY :)

Alondra Ma. Elaine wrote: "Alondra wrote: "I've been frustrated on the topic of the ending. It was good and it made me completely lose it at the end but so many unanswered questions. The whole idea that no body knows what ha..."

Exactly, I mean we all know, a little to well, how the PJ movies went. Imagine if RR actually cooperated with them! I would of died and gone to heaven!
Fan Fic and pictures are to little for me right now :) I need daily PJ too:)

Dark_Magican I was annoyed with the POVs. I mean I like Reyna and Nico as much as the next person but they weren't even people in the seven of the prophecy. Introducing two NEW point of views on the last book seemed wrong because you don't get a personal view into seeing them develop as characters. Does that make sense? I think there was a big build up for the ending but it didn't quite reach my expectation. I think the fighting scenes were rushed and finished to quickly for my taste. I don't think Leo's sacrifice was given enough credit. I wanted Percy or Annabeth to get points of view, but that's ok because they had really big POVs in the House of Hades. Other then those facts I loved it and could hardly put it down until it was finished.

message 5: by The Cheshire Cat (last edited Oct 28, 2014 11:13AM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

The Cheshire Cat To be honest i did not like the ending. I felt like Rick cut the ending in half. I wanted a big resolution where Percy reunited with his mom, and I expected to see more character development then it had. Even if he made an epilogue going like a few years into the future to show the relationships i would've been way more happy but that didn't happen. It makes it worse that there aren't going to be any more books to pick off where he left.

Will Solace Black_Wolf wrote: "I was annoyed with the POVs. I mean I like Reyna and Nico as much as the next person but they weren't even people in the seven of the prophecy. Introducing two NEW point of views on the last book s..."

I don't know I really liked the two new POV's because hey it could've been worse Hedge could've had a POV and just look at that all baseball bats and violence.

AND CHUCK THE SATYR.

message 7: by hannah lisa (new)

hannah lisa It kind of made me sad too... I feel like there needs to be a novella in the future for a happy reunion! I was also a bit upset (even though he's had POVs in almost all the books) that Percy didn't have a POV... But that's just me!

Jannie Huang I feel like Rick Riordan chose the wrong POV's for this book because we were missing a few key characters in this book like Percy, Annabeth, Frank, and Hazel. I think he should have chose Nico, Reyna(for her backstory), Frank can double up for Hazel, Percy can also double up for Annabeth, Piper can double up for Jason, and Leo. The ending was satisfactory in my opinion, but it felt rushed. It was like Gaea rose up for 0.5 seconds and got defeated quickly. Other than these complaints, I loved the Blood of Olympus and it's definitely in my top 10 list.

Will Solace Mhelene wrote: "^Hedge ranting about Jackie Chan and martial arts. Hahaha. I liked the new POV's too, especially Nico's. I was hesitant about Reyna's POV at first because I've always seen her character as a boring..."

I LIKED NICO'S POV TOO WE HAVE SO MUCH IN COMMON LIKE WE BOTH ARE GAY

I DIDN'T SAY ANYTHING.

Chaya No epilogue w/ Percy+Annabeth. I mean, come ON! You don't even get their POVs!

Frank I enjoyed it. I have to say, it started out slow, especially when you think back to previous books like The Last Olympian. But the final third really nailed it. The only issue I had was that it felt like Rick was trying to intentionally push Percy to the background so it wouldn't be his story since he already had his chance to shine. I have no problem with that, the other characters could well carry the book, but it felt too forced that he was a background character.

I would have liked to have seen a first epilogue before Leo's story with some info on the other characters. That would have been nice. Other than that, I enjoyed it quite a bit.

message 12: by [deleted user] (new)

Mhelene wrote: "Alondra wrote: "I've been frustrated on the topic of the ending. It was good and it made me completely lose it at the end but so many unanswered questions. The whole idea that no body knows what ha..."

I agree with that too

message 13: by Joshua (new)

Joshua Afiriyie Annoyed. Sorta. I mean I'm happy that there's a happy ending and that everything seemed to be wrapped up but the ending just seemed rushed and lackluster. Gaea rose for two seconds and Jason, Piper, and Leo took her down literally in less than a minute. No one died and that's expected, I mean this book is meant for kids really. Obviously no one is going to die die. But still there were no deaths! If you compare Luke to Octavian I preferred Luke's death much more than Octavian. I like the Blood of Olympus and its a good book, but not a good final book if you get what I'm saying.

message 14: by Joshua (new)

Joshua Afiriyie Joshua wrote: "Annoyed. Sorta. I mean I'm happy that there's a happy ending and that everything seemed to be wrapped up but the ending just seemed rushed and lackluster. Gaea rose for two seconds and Jason, Piper..."
Also, WRONG POV'S. Why no Percy? Why no Annabeth? Character development was limited to strictly Reyna and Nico. I mean, Frank and Hazel are left untouched which I wanted to see POV's from. Yeah, I get there are nine characters and it might be a bit hard to jump from demigod to demigod. But still, I just wanna know Rick, why? Another thing, somethings were left open-ended. What's up with Frank's firewood lifeline? I thought a hero couldn't go to Ogygia twice so why could Leo? How did he get there? The whole thing with Hazel and her being from the past is left untouched, why are the gods so much more...kind?
I hate whining so I'm going to say that the book was enjoyable and a nice read. But the ending wasn't very realistic. I feel like I need a do-over, you know? This is the very thing that makes me want to read fanfiction. Can someone do it better?

janet i think Percy and Sally should have a part in BOO i mean com on DAYS after the battle he's still at camp Half-Blood in the same state as his mom that he hasn't seen for like a year? you really thing he'd just stay at CHB and not go see his mom? no way.

The Cheshire Cat Maggie wrote: "I think a tv series is a wonderful idea!"

I definitely agree. They should make a tv series beginning with the Lightning thief. Like how they did the game of thrones.

Matthew The Cheshire Cat wrote: "Maggie wrote: "I think a tv series is a wonderful idea!"

I definitely agree. They should make a tv series beginning with the Lightning thief. Like how they did the game of thrones."

The issue is that if it doesn't do well, the network will cancel it. Well, it's hard to do worse than what we currently have with the movies.

The Cheshire Cat Matthew wrote: "The Cheshire Cat wrote: "Maggie wrote: "I think a tv series is a wonderful idea!"

I definitely agree. They should make a tv series beginning with the Lightning thief. Like how they did the game of..."

there's always a threat of cancellation, but if they follow the books, actually put effort and money into it, and if it's better then the movies then i would definitely watch it. But you really can't get any worse then the movies.

Alondra Leah wrote: "If they follow the books well I think they should make a tv show if they don't follow the book cancel the show and never try again."

I HAVE BEEN SUGGESTING THIS FOR OVER A YEAR!
Starting with pj. Each book is a season, every 5 chapters is a episode. Then we move on to HOO

message 20: by [deleted user] (new)

Alondra wrote: "Leah wrote: "If they follow the books well I think they should make a tv show if they don't follow the book cancel the show and never try again."

I HAVE BEEN SUGGESTING THIS FOR OVER A YEAR!
Start..."

Yes! Would it be animated/cartoon-style or actual people??? And DreamWorks, last I heard, was petitioning to create a TV show but I'm not sure if they didn't get enough people or if they did and it's in progress or if they abandoned it or what.

Challis I personally have grown to love that ending.
Well, I went though a process.
When I first finished it I was just so happy that Leo was alive that everything else seemed inconsequential. (Yes I did think Leo had actually died because I was just too emotionally distraught to think straight).
Then afterward I was really disappointed that the story wasn't tied up in pretty little bows.
And then I finally realized that I liked it that way, because I could finish the story to my satisfaction.

I can picture the happy reunion at Camp Half Blood when Percy, Annabeth, Jason, and Piper are reunited With Leo and meet Calypso for the first time (although it's not Percy's first time).
I can picture Percy pulling Leo aside to apologize again, like he did in Nike's arena, and Leo saying "It's fine man." and looking at Calypso "I'm good."
I can just see Piper and Annabeth taking the time out of there newly busy schedules to show Calypso around the camp and Leo tagging along because he can hardly believe she is actually here and he thinks that if he looses sight of her, she might disappear.
And I can dream about Calypso and Leo flying to New Rome on Happy the Dragon, running into a couple snag and eventually reuniting with Frank and Hazel.
My favorite part though, is picturing Leo showing Calypso the new world. I can see them retracing Leo's quest with Jason and Piper and making her laugh with all the ridiculous adventures they had. Taking her Hyperborean watching in Alaska and the the Caribbean to listen to Calypso music. And then eventually showing her his home in Texas.

That's my ideal ending, and Rick helped me create it.

Matthew Leah wrote: "Challis wrote: "I personally have grown to love that ending.
When I first finished it I was just so happy that Leo was alive that everything else seemed inconsequent..."

As Jason pointed out in The Lost Hero, Festus is Latin for happy, and he then bestowed said moniker.

Challis Matthew wrote: "Leah wrote: "Challis wrote: "I personally have grown to love that ending.
When I first finished it I was just so happy that Leo was alive that everything else seemed..."

Thank you Matthew

Challis Leah wrote: "Challis wrote: "I personally have grown to love that ending.
When I first finished it I was just so happy that Leo was alive that everything else seemed inconsequent..."

Chapter 16, first page (page 53, but mine's a digital copy so it may not be the same)

Challis Yup

Challis No I didn't know. I can't read sarcasm through one word over the internet.

Challis That's beautiful.
Where did you find that? Online?

Challis Very nice

Challis We're to that point where there is nothing left to say and no one else is commenting. :/

Challis Yeah it is, isn't it.

Challis Yeah I read it last weekend. Although I got it a couple days after it came out. I could hardly wait that long but I wanted to read the whole series from the beginning, well both series.

Challis Yeah, I thought it was worth the time, reading it all from start to finish.

Challis Yeah definitely. I had forgotten a lot that I hadn't even known I had forgotten.

Challis Silena.
Yeah I had forgotten all about the princess andromeda in the first four books. Like I remembered it in the last book but not in the rest.

Alondra saccharine wrote: "Alondra wrote: "Leah wrote: "If they follow the books well I think they should make a tv show if they don't follow the book cancel the show and never try again."

I HAVE BEEN SUGGESTING THIS FOR OV..."

Personally I feel like actor based tv show would be great, you could connect with the person. But its like harry potter movies, percy and all the actors have to be the age they were in the lightening thief and so on and so forth! I actually didnt hear about that one. Of course I've heard of the petition for the redoing of the movie franchise but idk where thats going! o_O

Challis Yeah. I remember it all now because I read all the books within this last couple weeks.

message 37: by Erin (new) - rated it 5 stars

Erin I liked the ending.... mostly. i really just wanted to see some closure with what happens to Annabeth and Percy, i mean we didn't get their POVs, and what gonna happen with the gods and what they do with the minor gods?

janet I truly think Rick left it open like this because he might throw hints about them in this new series the Magnus Chase one, or maybe he just likes the last name Chase and this guy is in no way related to Annabeth but it's nice to hope.

Challis Frederick Chase

Challis No I hadn't. What's it called?

Matthew Jzurnee wrote: "I truly think Rick left it open like this because he might throw hints about them in this new series the Magnus Chase one, or maybe he just likes the last name Chase and this guy is in no way relat..."

Rick said a while before the book came out or the Norse series's title was revealed that BoO would have a hint near the end about the new protagonist. All evidence points to Annabeth's cousin in Boston, which was already stated to be the location of the new series.

message 42: by Burak (new)

Burak Ozkan Ok so I just finished the book series and I am devastated. I loved the ending, but it was too fast. I bought the first book of the Trials of Apollo and if the characters are not there, I will freak! It is going to take a few days to get over the heart-ache. They are all so perfect and happy!

message 43: by Nicol (new) - rated it 1 star

Nicol Mhelene wrote: "I'm happy with the ending but we can't deny that there are still some uncertainties (whether Calypso would stay immortal or if a hundred years have already passed). I'm also disappointed that Percy..."

Totally agree. We needed more Percy

message 44: by Nicol (new) - rated it 1 star

Nicol hannah lisa wrote: "It kind of made me sad too... I feel like there needs to be a novella in the future for a happy reunion! I was also a bit upset (even though he's had POVs in almost all the books) that Percy didn't..."

Of course we needed Percy's POV. Even one last chapter in the conclusion

message 45: by Nicol (new) - rated it 1 star

Nicol Chaya wrote: "No epilogue w/ Percy+Annabeth. I mean, come ON! You don't even get their POVs!"

Totally agree

message 46: by Nicol (last edited Feb 02, 2018 11:22AM) (new) - rated it 1 star

Nicol Joshua wrote: "Joshua wrote: "Annoyed. Sorta. I mean I'm happy that there's a happy ending and that everything seemed to be wrapped up but the ending just seemed rushed and lackluster. Gaea rose for two seconds a..."

I really hope he can rewrite the book with Percy's POV . I didn't like it that he was on the background

naydi To be honest, not really. First, we don’t know about how Percy and Annabeth cope. Do they protect eachother from nightmares every night? Do they get horrific flashbacks? Those are some unanswered questions. Also, the ending was a bit rushed.

BUT I STILL LOVE THE BOOK