The Not a Book Club Club discussion

Kingkiller > TSRoST: Whole Novella (Full Spoilers)

Comments Showing 1-24 of 24 (24 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Rob, Mayor of Ghost Town (new)

Rob (robzak) | 6373 comments Mod
Discuss the whole story.

No spoiler tags required. Though it would be highly appreciated if you Uncheck Add to my Update Feed to avoid accidentally spoiling this for your good read friends.

I'd also say spoilers for the other King Killer books are fair, so proceed at your own risk.

message 2: by Rob, Mayor of Ghost Town (new)

The afterword pissed me off..it came off feeling arrogant and condescending. Maybe it was because I heard him say it to me, versus reading it on a page I don't know.

But to me I felt like he was saying: "Vi Hart loves it. She's smart. If you don't love it, maybe you're not as smart as Vi Hart. But that's fine because there are other stories more appropriate for you to enjoy."

I liked the format of the story. It felt very Auri. I liked following her around, but I felt like I got a lot less out it than I did following Bast around in the The Lightning Tree.

I guess it's a matter of expectations. I figured we get more back story of Auri..but there was almost none of that.

My Review

message 3: by Rob, Mayor of Ghost Town (new)

And I'm not saying that's what he's saying..just how it came off to me. Maybe it's just me. I felt the afterword was totally unnecessary.

He explained at the beginning it wasn't book 3..that seemed appropriate and sufficient.

His afterword could have been relegated to a blog post or something..

message 4: by Scott (new)

Scott (thekeeblertree) | 1049 comments Not reading any posts yet, but stoked for this! Should be downloading to my kindle tomorrow.

message 5: by Dustin (last edited Oct 30, 2014 04:32PM) (new)

Dustin (tillos) | 23 comments I liked it a lot as well. It felt very Tolkien-y to me. Lots of clever wordplay.

I can see how the post-note might come come off as annoying, especially if you didn't like the story, but I found it kind of amusing considering I had the almost the same opinion when I finished. Then having him repeat my 'complaints' as if he could hear my thoughts made me feel embarrassed. I shouldn't call them complaints because they aren't. It was more like I was calling him out on mistakes I'd also made when writing, then having him tease me about the fact that I took for granted that they were unbreakable rules.

As for the story, it was all tangled with emotions. As mentioned in the end note, I cared more about that stupid gear than I've cared about real characters in other books. It was like a can of character concentrate. I got as much from Auri as I got from Kvothe in either of his books.

I give it 4.5

message 6: by Mark (new)

Mark Lindberg | 10 comments Any author who can make you care about a broken-tooth gear and a bar of soap is a freaking genius.

Patrick Rothfuss is a genius.

I'll definitely agree that I had a very strong "I get this book. This book gets me. It's not going to be for everyone, though." feeling. This may make it one of the first books that I've really, truly loved, where I'll understand if not everybody else reads and loves it. It's a strange feeling.

Auri has some very OCD like symptoms, constantly arranging and rearranging things to make them just right, and just how things... Feel. Getting such a human feeling from something being not quite right, having it pug you until you fix it... It's a feeling I can relate to. I've suppressed and discarded many of these urges, but I still feel some of them. Perhaps this is why I feel that I connected to her story on a deeper level than some people will.

Anyone who went in hoping for KKC background won't really get much out of it. Thankfully, I'm quite happy to just live in Rothfuss' world and read his beautiful prose. I feel like most of the really bad reviews will be people disappointed that there wasn't more world, or that this wasn't book 3, or that it cost so much for a short book. It's... I feel like the Words of Radiance epilogue is rather relevant here.

So, uh... Yeah. I loved the non-story that was The Slow Regard of Silent Things. 150 pages. Not a single line of dialogue. A single character. No real driving plot. But... It still worked. I'm not entirely sure how, but it worked for me.

message 7: by Scott (new)

Scott (thekeeblertree) | 1049 comments Loved getting into Auri's head while she's all by herself in the Underthing. The use of "her" language was a really engaging touch I thought. Like a lot of fans, she's up there with favorite character of the series for me and I much enjoyed following her around.

Agreed with Alex, I think beautiful is the best way to describe this book. Not only the writing but the cover and illustrations as well. Just a really great package. Reminded me of the copy of the Graveyard Book I have in that way (not the story, the cover/in-book art).

And I just wonder if this is not a tad bit of set up for the third book, with her creating that room for "him" with the Amyr statue to watch over "him." Is Kvothe going to need a place to hide and recover? Or is this a reference to something I missed in the first two books?

Oh and also loved the use of threes: washes hands, feet, face; the gear broken into threes, finding three things at the beginning when she found the gear. Sure there was more that I'm just not remembering.

All in all I loved this book and was excited to get some more Pat while eagerly awaiting the end of the trilogy

message 8: by Dustin (new)

Dustin (tillos) | 23 comments Don't eat Auri's soap!

message 9: by Eric (new)

Eric (eawortman) | 2 comments It reminded me a little of the way I feel when I have read some Neil Gaiman books. I enjoyed it a great deal. After I finished it, I went looking for the part that ties this into the main series (book 2) and found myself getting sucked in as I read. I'm going to need to revisit the series again soon I think.

message 10: by Eric (new)

Eric (eawortman) | 2 comments Scott wrote: "Loved getting into Auri's head while she's all by herself in the Underthing. The use of "her" language was a really engaging touch I thought. Like a lot of fans, she's up there with favorite charac..."

I missed your post the first time. The Graveyard Book was one of the books I was reminded of as well.

message 11: by Scott (new)

Scott (thekeeblertree) | 1049 comments That's an excellent parallel between Auri and Pat's writing. I never even thought of it like that, but it definitely fits.

message 12: by Mark (new)

Mark Lindberg | 10 comments Alex, I read that review. I hadn't even thought about that parallel until I read it, but... The more I think about it, the more it makes sense, though I also get the feeling that it may have been more unconscious on Rothfuss' part than intentional.

And yes. This is the truest, most accurate, and very heartbreaking, portrayal of OCD that I've ever read.

Oh, and Rothfuss? One sentence chapters are not okay. Oww.

message 13: by Scott (new)

Scott (thekeeblertree) | 1049 comments Aww, I really liked that one sentence chapter.

Oh and about the reread, reading this also made me really want to reread the first two books again. I'm trying to hold off until closer to the third's release but I have a feeling I won't be able to wait. Might just have to do it twice. I'm sure there will be plenty of new things to find

message 14: by Bill (new)

Bill | 1596 comments Bit late to the party but I really enjoyed this story.

I am not a Gaiman fan at all but could see how this story would be what others get from his work.

I liked getting to explore Auri's world. I didn't care about missing anything from Kvothe's world. I think this was a perfect use of a novella to gain insight on one character of the series. Rothfuss did a fantastic job really let you see what makes Auri tick.

I really need to read Bast's story from Rogues now.

message 15: by Scott (new)

Scott (thekeeblertree) | 1049 comments Yeah. I really need to get on that Bast story too. I didn't want to buy that whole book to get to it, though

message 16: by Rob, Mayor of Ghost Town (new)

Library! At least that's how I read it. Make sure you read the Lynch story as well. Probably one or two others are worth reading as well.

And I didn't need Kvothe in this story, but I was really hoping for details of her back story...

message 17: by Bill (new)

Bill | 1596 comments I just grabbed it from the library and read the Bast story. I didn't enjoy it as much because you don't get inside his head like you do with Auri. Still nice to get to see what he does to fill his days.

I didn't mind not getting Auri's back story because I feel like even though we don't know the details we know the basic idea of what happened. I was so intrigued by the idea of how she is and how she thinks and sees the world that the backstory didn't matter as much in this instance.

message 18: by Rob, Mayor of Ghost Town (new)

Alex wrote: "Which Bast story is this? Is this the Bast/Kvothe erotica?"

Um..what?

This is a story by Patrick Rothfuss in Rogues. You know the story he talks about writing instead of this Auri story we're discussing..

message 19: by Bill (new)

Bill | 1596 comments Something i forgot to comment on in my first post. Auri says that she fixed the room for Kvothe because he would need it one day and that she would give him his new name then. So wonder if she is the reason for Kote and will be the one to unlock him when the time is right.

message 20: by Bill (new)

Bill | 1596 comments Alex wrote: "Which Bast story is this? Is this the Bast/Kvothe erotica?"

Bast does get with several of the local lady folk in the story but not Kvothe. :)

message 21: by Rob, Mayor of Ghost Town (new)

Bill wrote: "Something i forgot to comment on in my first post. Auri says that she fixed the room for Kvothe because he would need it one day and that she would give him his new name then. So wonder if she is t..."

Yeah, I had wondered the same thing at some point. But then I forgot about everything when I read the author's note.

I do like that theory though..

message 22: by Bill (new)

Bill | 1596 comments Yeah i read about 2 lines of the authors note then decided to skip it. Not much for any authors thoughts outside of their books.

message 23: by Rob, Mayor of Ghost Town (new)

I was driving to work. I guess I could have changed to my next book, but oh well.

message 24: by Tammy (new)

Tammy This was a lovely book as Auri would say. It gave me a very different perspective of her. Instead of pity that she is homeless, you realize there is much more to her story by the way her mind works. She has a very busy existence in the underthing and works tirelessly to ensure her objects are as they should be.

It was sweet how she made a place for Kvothe and there was a time in his early years when he would have loved a place as nice as that. I am curious about her backstory as a student at the university.

Also there were doors that she has access too and I think of the tie in to the final book and the door in the library.

Overall was a nice quick read by a very creative and gifted author.

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

Rogues (other topics)

Authors mentioned in this topic

Patrick Rothfuss (other topics)