The Mystery, Crime, and Thriller Group discussion

Report for Duty > Historical mysteries fan

Comments Showing 1-13 of 13 (13 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Cécile (new)

Cécile Chabot (CecileChabot) | 9 comments First time, I'm posting on this group, though I was looking at some threads.

I'm a big fan of historical mysteries (or those which have become historical mysteries, because of the time lapse since being written).

Cadfael is certainly one of my favourite detectives (with Hercule Poirot, but in this I may be a little biased as I'm Belgian too).

Agatha Christie, Robert van Gulik, Ellis Peters, Peter Tremayne, Anne Perry... but also little known French-speaking authors from the XIXth century (I'm French-speaking).

I'm also a big fan of Tony Hillerman.

And, yes, I'm an author too.

Cécile

message 2: by Skye (new)

Skye | 2105 comments Thanks for the info.

message 3: by Michael (new)

Michael Weitz | 28 comments Cecile, Welcome!
You might like the Maisie Dobbs mysteries by Jacqueline Winspear. The first takes place just before and during WW1 and the rest follow. They are set mostly in England but some include forays into France and other parts of Europe.

message 4: by Nancy, Co-Moderator (new)

Nancy Oakes (quinnsmom) | 9152 comments Mod
Welcome to our group! I am a huge Van Gulik fan - I binge read the entire series some time ago. You're going to like it here.

message 5: by Britney (new)

Britney (tarheels) | 125 comments Welcome. I am a historical mystery fan as well. I love going back in time and picturing the beautiful scenery.

message 6: by Cécile (new)

Cécile Chabot (CecileChabot) | 9 comments Michael wrote: "Cecile, Welcome!
You might like the Maisie Dobbs mysteries by Jacqueline Winspear. The first takes place just before and during WW1 and the rest follow. They are set mostly in England but some inc..."

Hi Michael,
Thank you for the idea: I haven't read anything in that series... yet ;)

I'm going to give it a try.

Cécile

message 7: by Bill (new)

Bill Welcome to the group, Cécile. I enjoy the Cadfael mysteries as well. Also like Ariana Franklin, C.J. Samson and Oliver Potzsch, amongst others. I hope you enjoy yourself here. :)

message 8: by Cécile (last edited Nov 20, 2014 10:29AM) (new)

Cécile Chabot (CecileChabot) | 9 comments Thank you Bill,

I must admit that I'm still new to Goodreads (at least not very present).
I read a lot in English, but usually post book reviews in French on Babelio (Goodreads presence in French is quite anecdotical)...

By the way, I see that you are a moderator, and I would like to ask you something: as an author, what should I do... and not do on the group?

I mean, I don't want to be seen as trampling threads with heavy self-promotion...

Have a great Sunday,
Cécile

message 9: by Bill (new)

Bill Cécile - we do have threads for authors to talk about their books, the In the Press, Blogs and Sites thread and more specifically, the Author's Corner. We do have some basic rules, if you want to call them that, asking authors not to blitz people with book promotions in other threads. If you're not sure feel free to ask me or one of the other moderators.

message 10: by Cécile (new)

Cécile Chabot (CecileChabot) | 9 comments Thank you Bill,
Back online after several days ill, in bed.
I'm going to check these threads.

message 11: by Carolien (new)

Carolien (carolien_s) | 106 comments I'll add Jean-François Parot's series set in pre-Revolutionary France.

message 12: by IShita (new)

IShita | 186 comments Oh this is a great thread! I love both mysteries and classics and I suppose there's nothing better than classic mysteries!

Just today, I read this article on Christie and that made me wonder about the "workhow" of her brains. IDK, how many of you have read the Gone Girl but the article said that Christie was a lot like the female protagonist, Amy Dunne, in her real life. She ran away after she finished writing The Murder of Roger Ackroyd leaving a trail of clues for the police behind to put her husband in trouble and returned when her purpose was accomplished. Fascinating, isn't it?

I've heard a lot of SS Van Dine's Philo Vance series. I'm starting the first book in the series- The Benson Murder Case- next week. I hope Van Dine is a good one!

message 13: by Skye (new)

Skye | 2105 comments This sounds very intriguing.