Reading Peace discussion

Healing: A Woman's Journey from Doctor to Nun
This topic is about Healing
Announcements > November's Pick: Healing by Sr. Dang Nghiem

Comments Showing 1-10 of 10 (10 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Parallax Press (last edited Oct 27, 2014 01:40PM) (new) - added it

Parallax Press (parallaxpress) | 53 comments Mod
The results of the poll for our November pick are in!

We will be reading a moving, compelling memoir by Sister Dang Nghiem who overcame tragedy and went from being a doctor to a nun at Plum Village.

The 25% off code for the book at Parallax.org is PEACE2 through November for our book club friends.

http://www.parallax.org/healing-a-wom...

You are also welcome to borrow from a friend, or buy it used! The e-book is also available from all the usual outlets.

If you are overseas, it may be better to order from elsewhere due to the cost of international shipping.

Thanks and see you on the other side in November!

Proposed Reading Schedule

We'll be reading at a comfortable pace each week at roughly 30 pages a week. You are welcome to read more or less depending on what suits you the best.

Week 1: Intro, Ch. 1 & 2.
Week 2: Ch. 3-5.
Week 3: Ch. 6-8.
Week 4: Ch. 9-12.

If you are new to Reading Peace

Every week, we will post a reader's guide to help jumpstart discussion on the themes covered. You can reflect on these questions yourself, or participate in discussions online and offline.

Reader's guides can always be found here and at: http://parallax.org/blog

message 2: by Hilary (new)

Hilary Lange | 7 comments Look forward to reading it. How does this work.

Parallax Press (parallaxpress) | 53 comments Mod
Hilary wrote: "Look forward to reading it. How does this work."

Hi Hilary! Glad you can join us.

It's simple. If you need a copy, go to:

http://www.parallax.org/healing-a-wom...

and enter the code PEACE2 in the blank near the bottom at checkout to get the book at 25% off for being a club member.

Every week in November, we'll post guiding questions and reflections to discuss, very much like how we're already doing for "Mindfulness Survival Kit"

I hope that helps!

message 4: by Hilary (new)

Hilary Lange | 7 comments Yes it does help. Thank you. I have just ordered the book and I will begin reading it this evening.

Sonia Crites | 8 comments Just got the book and am looking forward to reading it. Lasts months selection was a very valuable read and I am eager for this month as well. Happy to have found this book club.

Sonia Crites | 8 comments Just got the book and am looking forward to reading it. Lasts months selection was a very valuable read and I am eager for this month as well. Happy to have found this book club.

Rachel Neumann | 1 comments Yay, I love this book!!

message 8: by Hilary (new)

Hilary Lange | 7 comments A beautifully written story of triumph overvadversity

Denise Tarasuk | 3 comments Sr. Dang Nghiem’s book Healing has touched my heart. There are many lessons to learn and I cherish every word. Each evening, I spend time with Sr. Dang, with her words, that bring me closer to love and compassion. Dr. Denise

Eileen | 15 comments I'm finally offering myself more moments in the day to sit with this book - what a perfect practice for the beginning of winter retreat time! I'm at the halfway point, and want to re-read several times the passages that tell the story of Sr. D's first few years in Plum Village. I've realized that lately, I've neglected giving myself the time to explore the suffering that simply is...the suffering that is within me, that has been carried along through many lifetimes, the suffering that sometimes builds walls between me and others. So often, my mind attaches to smaller, perhaps thornier aspects of life, ones that can be easily defined, discussed, and dismissed. Sister D reminds me that in order to heal, in order to recognize what seeds to water and what to allow to fade away, I must take time just sitting, just being in awareness. No striving necessary, no goals in mind. See deeply into the suffering.