David Estes Fans and YA Book Lovers Unite! discussion

Chit Chat > Bookstores

Comments Showing 1-27 of 27 (27 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Jenny, Always smiling! :-D (new)

Jenny (juliababyjen) | 12932 comments Mod
Thanks, Storm, for kind of starting this "discussion" in another thread!

So...what are your favorite bookstores? Or places you like to shop for books? What stores do you avoid? Why?

message 2: by Marni (new)

Marni (wonderwmn999) My fav is B&N. There is a used bookstore in town that is nice but the owner always seems like he's ready to snap, so I don't get the comfy feeling, which is a shame.

message 3: by [deleted user] (new)

I dont really have a fave store.
The big chains here in norway ( Ark,Norli,tanum) all vary from place to place. In Bergen the best bookstore is norli, in Oslo the best store is tanum.And in my own Bodø,ark is the best.
Then there is outland, but that is a chain that also sells games,merchandise etc etc so to call it a bookstore would be inadequate.
I have this second hand bookstore in town,love that one though it has a nice atmosphere,and I always find a book.
Price wise, I usually order online. books here are not that cheap(like everything else)

message 4: by Jenny, Always smiling! :-D (new)

We have an awesome B&N in Des Moines. I do love that store! I've only been there twice...its in the big new mall there, we don't visit there much. Its an hour away!

I have a local used bookstore (they also sell some bestseller new books) called The Bookshoppe. Sometimes I find great stuff in there! I also sometimes trade in my books for credit!

BAM! Is the closest big bookstore to me. 20 min away. I do love that store, their bargain section is awesome! I have a membership there.

Other than that, Walmart (we have one in town) and Target (20 min away) are good, usually have decent stock of new releases.

message 5: by Jenny, Always smiling! :-D (new)

Oda wrote: "I dont really have a fave store.
The big chains here in norway ( Ark,Norli,tanum) all vary from place to place. In Bergen the best bookstore is norli, in Oslo the best store is tanum.And in my own ..."

I do most of my book buying online too :)

message 6: by Harlee (new)

Harlee | 1583 comments I usually buy a lot of my books from Amazon but lately I cringe at the shipping costs. There is a nice bookstore in the mall I need to start going to more but it, and B&N are about an hour away from my house. Which is why I prefer online book shopping. And if course, anyone that has been to an Ollie's knows it's not a book store but it is a GREAT place to find books! :)

message 7: by kynndra-jo (last edited Oct 27, 2014 05:08PM) (new)

kynndra-jo (kynnroo) My favorite is Chapters Indigo (basically B&N but the Canadian version) they are so beautiful - especially the one we had in my old city. But now that I'm in the States I usually stick to Amazon and rarely B&N because Amazon is cheaper.

message 8: by Jenny, Always smiling! :-D (new)

Harlee wrote: "I usually buy a lot of my books from Amazon but lately I cringe at the shipping costs. There is a nice bookstore in the mall I need to start going to more but it, and B&N are about an hour away fro..."

This is the main reason I got a membership to BAM. Its $25 for the year, and you get free express shipping online with that, PLUS 10% off your purchases (online and in store) and tons of coupons sent to you weekly! They are good too, like $5 off a $25 purchase, $10 of a $50 purchase, things like that. And that includes bargain priced items too! Their bargain section is really good too! Their online prices are comparable to Amazon's.

message 9: by Victoria (new)

Victoria Zigler (toriz) | 4464 comments I don't have a favourite bookstore any more. All I care about is that they have the book I want in a format that works for me. But it's not just availability that stopped me having a favourite bookstore. I used to go to Borders first for my audiobooks, and would have said it was my favourite hands down; their selection of both audio and print books was awesome... Closest I've seen over here to the bookstores hubby took me to when we were in Canada! But they closed all the Borders highstreet stores, so now I just go to whichever bookstore is nearby. Usually this means I shop at Waterstones or WH Smith if I'm getting an audiobook in town, or just buy online (which is what I do most often, because stock availability in store for audiobooks is pitiful around here). Waterstones and WH Smith are pretty good, but they're nothing to how Borders was... I miss it!

message 10: by Harlee (new)

Harlee | 1583 comments @Jenny Wow, that sounds pretty great. Thanks Jenny! I'll have to check it out :)

Karen’s Library | 11320 comments Mod
I am addicted to my Barnes and Noble down the street from me (10 - 15 minutes away). Everyone knows me there.

I wander, picking up tons of books along the way. Someone always ends up bringing me a basket. I should learn by now to just grab one when I walk in.

I take all the books I pick up to the Starbucks in there and just melt into my chair while drinking my favorite coffee of the day, surrounded by BOOKS! And then one by one, I pick each one up and read a chapter or two. I might look them up on my Goodreads app. The books eventually get sorted into yes, no and maybe piles.

I just take my time and let the stress melt away!! It's my special time and I treat myself!!

message 12: by Jenny, Always smiling! :-D (new)

LOL I LOVE that Karen! I do not book shop like that at all ;) If I did, I would not be able to resist buying them all, and Darryl would kill me!

I go through the bargain section first, then wander around YA for a bit, really just looking at books. I might pick up one book of the regular section to buy. Then I wander around the front for just quick sec to see if I missed a new releases, THEN I check out. The whole thing takes me 30 minutes, tops. Then I check out, and get the hell out of there before I cause further damage! HA!

My used bookstore, usually takes me an hour to check all of the shelves. I'm not as worried there, though, because a lot of the store is overpriced, and I don't buy something unless its a great deal. Especially used.

I always go into any bookstore (well anytime I shop really) with a figure in my head of my limit to spend, and I rarely go over.

message 13: by Storm (new)

Storm Arashi (stormarashi) | 1130 comments We have Half Price Books, which I am addicted to, I say "ONE BOOK! Just ONE BOOK!" And leave with a bunch of them. Yesterday I walked away with four, two RL Stine (one being one of his Fear Street Books, to replace my old copy of The Knife, it was one buck) Then B and N...And then there was the place I considered a second home. The old Boarders, anyone remember that store? I loved it, seriously loved going in there, I never had a BAD experience there. I practically grew up going up and down those aisles. The kids section was my haven when I was little, and getting into things like Goosebumps, and then when I got older, the YA section was like my own little world, filled with manga and novels. I loved how they had it set up too, so it was almost a "room" of it's own. It was always the quietest part of the store too... If I had to pick a favorite THAT was my favorite book store and I miss it dearly.

message 14: by Lauren (new)

Lauren Stoolfire | 2047 comments B&N, Half Price Books, and my local new and used bookstores are great.

message 15: by Alison (new)

Alison Morquecho (thebookishcamper) | 787 comments I always go to.books a million. love that place. been wanting to try thriftbooks.com they have amazing deals.

message 16: by Victoria (last edited Oct 28, 2014 02:20PM) (new)

Victoria Zigler (toriz) | 4464 comments Karen wrote: "I am addicted to my Barnes and Noble down the street from me (10 - 15 minutes away). Everyone knows me there.

I wander, picking up tons of books along the way. Someone always ends up bringing m..."

I could never shop like that; I'd feel bad for all the books I left behind.

Plus, I hate starting a book and not finnishing it, so I'd have to get them all eventually so I could read the rest.

message 17: by Victoria (new)

Victoria Zigler (toriz) | 4464 comments Storm wrote: "We have Half Price Books, which I am addicted to, I say "ONE BOOK! Just ONE BOOK!" And leave with a bunch of them. Yesterday I walked away with four, two RL Stine (one being one of his Fear Street ..."

I remember Borders... I miss it! It was book heaven!

message 18: by Mara (new)

Mara (maraanne) | 237 comments My top favorite bookstore in the one I work at, of course. And no, I'm not just saying that because I work there and I have employee loyalty. I've always liked the bookstore, but haven't been able to be a loyal customer until I got an income.

I do still very much love Barnes & Noble. The employees at my local(ish) B&N have always been friendly and super helpful, and it's just a relaxing environment. And ever since I became super involved in book blogging and reading YA and MG books, I have extra fun talking to the staff there that have the same genre passion as me. We're always swapping recommendations and thoughts on things.

For used book, I like Powell's City of Books and the Half Price Books Outlet near me.

message 19: by Lauren (last edited Nov 02, 2014 10:43AM) (new)

Lauren Stoolfire | 2047 comments Victoria wrote: "Storm wrote: "We have Half Price Books, which I am addicted to, I say "ONE BOOK! Just ONE BOOK!" And leave with a bunch of them. Yesterday I walked away with four, two RL Stine (one being one of hi..."

There used to be a Walden's in the local mall...it was easily the best store in the entire place. Every time I walk by where it used to be I feel sad.

message 20: by Jenny, Always smiling! :-D (new)

Lauren wrote: "Victoria wrote: "Storm wrote: "We have Half Price Books, which I am addicted to, I say "ONE BOOK! Just ONE BOOK!" And leave with a bunch of them. Yesterday I walked away with four, two RL Stine (on..."

Waldenbooks? We used to have one of those in our local mall, too--they closed up shop same time as Borders, Borders was their parent company. So we lost both our big bookstores at the same time, that was sad :( But luckily, they put in BAM!

Waldenbooks--I shopped there every weekend when I was in high school, always bought a book or two every week! There was a college guy who worked there at the time who was great at recommending me books. That was the time I went through my Philopshy/Classics phase. Read a ton of good books those few years! Also the store where I bought my first Tarot Cards. Still have them!

message 21: by Storm (new)

Storm Arashi (stormarashi) | 1130 comments Jenny wrote: "Lauren wrote: "Victoria wrote: "Storm wrote: "We have Half Price Books, which I am addicted to, I say "ONE BOOK! Just ONE BOOK!" And leave with a bunch of them. Yesterday I walked away with four, t..."

Oh I loved Waldenbooks too, but when it got closed... >_> It got turned into a religious bookstore.

message 22: by Lauren (new)

Lauren Stoolfire | 2047 comments Ours has been so many different things over the years since it went out of business in the mall...I think it's empty at the moment.

message 23: by Storm (new)

Storm Arashi (stormarashi) | 1130 comments Lauren wrote: "Ours has been so many different things over the years since it went out of business in the mall...I think it's empty at the moment."

They tore into ours to expand Spencers cause the Religious shop TANKED big time.

☆~Stephanie ~☆ The book stores I love to go to with my daughters is owned by the local library's where the donated old books from the library's and people in the nieghbor hood donated books to and all the money goes back to the library to help the different programs.you can find books from a .25 to 1.00 and they have great sales where you fill a bag for $1.00 it's called friends of the library and the other store I go to is Half of Books.

message 25: by Lauren (new)

Lauren Stoolfire | 2047 comments ☆~Stephanie ~☆ wrote: "The book stores I love to go to with my daughters is owned by the local library's where the donated old books from the library's and people in the nieghbor hood donated books to and all the money g..."

I always love going to our local library's friends sale!

message 26: by Lauren (new)

Lauren Stoolfire | 2047 comments Storm wrote: "Lauren wrote: "Ours has been so many different things over the years since it went out of business in the mall...I think it's empty at the moment."

They tore into ours to expand Spencers cause the..."

That's kind of funny! :D

message 27: by Storm (new)

Storm Arashi (stormarashi) | 1130 comments Lauren wrote: "Storm wrote: "Lauren wrote: "Ours has been so many different things over the years since it went out of business in the mall...I think it's empty at the moment."

They tore into ours to expand Spen..."

XD I think it is too.