Jackaby (Jackaby, #1) Jackaby discussion

Am I the only one who ships Abigail and Jackaby?

Comments Showing 1-31 of 31 (31 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Secret (last edited Oct 27, 2014 10:09AM) (new) - added it

Secret Siomai I know some are saying "Ahhhh finally, a relationship that is platonic." but I can't help it. I'm sorry. They have great chemistry and there's so much shipping material in the book. Please tell me I'm not the only one.

Saving People, Hunting Things~ The Family Business I didn't see any romantic potential between those two.
But I got to admit that Jackaby has more chemistry with Abigail than Charlie.

Vijay Saving People, Hunting Things~ The Family Business wrote: "I didn't see any romantic potential between those two.
But I got to admit that Jackaby has more chemistry with Abigail than Charlie."

True that.

Phoebe Jeziel Secret wrote: "I know some are saying "Ahhhh finally, a relationship that is platonic." but I can't help it. I'm sorry. They have great chemistry and there's so much shipping material in the book. Please tell me ..."

Yeah, I understand people's desire for a platonic relationship, especially in YA. It seems that I never get a platonic relationship when I want one and get one when I don't! I really enjoyed their dynamic and they reminded me a bit of the Eleventh Doctor and Clara who were always best friends with maybe a hint of something more. I kind of wish they could be on that same boat, to be honest. I was definitely feeling their dynamic more than Charlie/Abigail. We'll see where the author takes it!

You're not the only one! ;)

Also did anyone feel like Jenny/Jackaby might be a thing in the future? I felt like she had feelings for him or something.

message 5: by Sherna (new) - added it

Sherna YOU DEFINITELY ARE NOT THE ONLY ONE!!! Oh my god, I need more Jackaby because I NEED A JACKABY-ABIGAIL SHIP.

Leah Heath I think they should keep things professional, because then there would be a Jackaby/Charlie love triangle going on there. I feel like the YA world has enough of those. I do like Phoebe's idea, I would ship Jenny/Jackaby.

Luna The entire time I was reading the book I was hoping that there would be a thing. I still loved it, but damn it would have been nice.

Rachel I can't count how many times I silently chanted "kiss her you fool!" in my mind while I read this book. I love it as it is but I feel a romantic relationship between those two would have enhanced the book immensely.

Nora i don't get why people like charlie? he's boring.. even when he's a werewolf thing. i thought he was the murderer. i wanted jackaby and abigail to end up because they understand each other way better than any other characters in this book.

Kjesin I TOTALLY SHIP THEM. Romantically or not. They have great chemistry and they do understand each other so well. It's my favorite kind of relationship. Even if they didn't end up together romantically in the end, I would still ship them. They are great together, with or without romance.

message 11: by Gia (new) - rated it 3 stars

Gia I guess it's cliché but I still shipped Jackaby and abigail. Although I was ready for abigail and charlie's relationship but i couldn't help it either. So yes you're not alone, I ship them too(but it seems less likely). I just finished book1 i hope there's no love triangle. Ugh.

message 12: by Gia (new) - rated it 3 stars

Gia Nora wrote: "i don't get why people like charlie? he's boring.. even when he's a werewolf thing. i thought he was the murderer. i wanted jackaby and abigail to end up because they understand each other way bett..."

I agree totally with u. We didn't get enough of Charlie's character I guess. But there was something lacking in him as love interest. Idk what!
I loved the end part where we see Jackaby's sweetness. He got abigail a notebook ... :)
I ship them hard.

message 13: by Gia (new) - rated it 3 stars

Gia Saving People, Hunting Things~ The Family Business wrote: "I didn't see any romantic potential between those two.
But I got to admit that Jackaby has more chemistry with Abigail than Charlie."

Yep, I don't think there will be :( sadly, that is.
Exactly. Jackaby had more chem with her

message 14: by Judi (new) - rated it 5 stars

Judi I like that there's a platonic relationship, rather than a romantic one. Jackaby and Abigail complement each other nicely and I think as time goes by their friendship will get only stronger.

I think Charlie was trying to feel out what Abigail's feelings were. In Beastly Bones,(view spoiler)In the third book, I think we'll see more of the typical chemistry between Abigail and Charlie.

message 15: by Gia (new) - rated it 3 stars

Gia ^then I guess I should start up the next books!

message 16: by Gia (new) - rated it 3 stars

Gia Is Jackaby going to get a heroine?

message 17: by Judi (new) - rated it 5 stars

Judi Gia wrote: "Is Jackaby going to get a heroine?"

It may be possible. I have an ARC of the 3rd book, and the plot is a lot more personal for this one. I'm keeping my fingers crossed that a heroine comes along for him.

message 18: by Gia (new) - rated it 3 stars

Gia Oh! That'd be amazing then!

message 19: by Judi (new) - rated it 5 stars

Judi If you're a fan and are okay with reading ebooks, you can sign up on Netgalley.com. I think the ARC is available now, since it comes out in September.

message 20: by Gia (new) - rated it 3 stars

Gia Okay. Thanku! :))

Kristia Seabolt Glad that I'm not the only person alone in this!
I feel that Abigail and Charlie is a forced romance (probably Ritter's agent's idea) and there was no intention of romance for this book at all. I also feel that Charlie is a bit of a one-dimensional character, with no development, not like Jackaby and Abigail.
Although, cliche or not, the chemistry between Jackaby and Abigail is undeniable, but alas, professionalism and possibly age difference will probably put a halt on any romantic potential they may have. I just get the feeling that Ritter doesn't have any intention of making them an item. More than likely, he'll kill Jackaby in the end (I have no clue, just a hunch) and Abigail and Charlie will probably assume Jackaby's job.
The books are enjoyable nonetheless. Although I shall continue to hope for more between Jackaby and Abigail as I read.

Sarah Jane Ok if you liked this book I HIGHLY suggest you read Lockwood and Co. it is very similar.

message 23: by Gia (new) - rated it 3 stars

Gia Kristia wrote: "Glad that I'm not the only person alone in this!
I feel that Abigail and Charlie is a forced romance (probably Ritter's agent's idea) and there was no intention of romance for this book at all. I a..."

Yes! Charlie does not have much character development! :/

message 24: by Gia (new) - rated it 3 stars

Gia Sarah wrote: "Ok if you liked this book I HIGHLY suggest you read Lockwood and Co. it is very similar."

Oh thanks! I checked it out, it's pretty cool and quite similar to Jackaby.
Can you tell me what's the age of characters in it?

Wheat Fields & Sunshine Soo felt like Jackaby/Abigail would have worked better than Charlie/Abigail :/
Another book y'all would probably like is the Paper Magician. Not quite sure why that book/series comes to mind specifically but it does. Check it out, I thought it was great and read the series in maybe two days haha

message 26: by Emma (new) - rated it 5 stars

Emma I am also on board the Abigail/Jackaby ship. BUT I kind of wished that it would just be there as some sort of "will they, wont they" thing that is never actually resolved. That's definitely cruel but I feel that it would fit with the book better than an actual romance plot line and also let people who want to see it as platonic view it that way. Of course, Charlie had to go and ruin the potential for any subtle Abigail/Jackaby. /:

Hadassah Corey I also ship them! GET OUT OF THE WAY CHARLIE WHATEVER YOU NAME REALLY IS .

Alexia Guajardo Here’s the thing: I really do like Charlie despiste him being less interesting than the other characters. Still, Jackaby and Abigail really do have more chemistry with each other, which is why I would rather have them together than Abigail and Charlie.

Lori S. It's such a relief to read a book in which the MCs are becoming good friends rather than having to worry about whether they'll be kissing by the end. Ahhh. Jackaby reminds me of a cross between Dirk Gently and Sherlock Holmes - only one who can see what others don't.

I like Charlie, who needed more character development to become a full-fledged member of the crew. It makes sense that he's gone to where his inner pup can roam safely. His character sorta worked as a red herring, but not quite.

message 30: by Agent X (new)

Agent X Did you see that the author made a blog post about this thread?

https://rwillritter.wordpress.com/201...

After reading the response blog and recently reading Jackaby for the first time, I think the problem is that the author wants the readers to be okay with friendship instead of romance, but the book drops hints that lead readers to want and expect romance.

message 31: by Petra (new)

Petra No, you aren't. I ship it... has anyone noticed this, though?

Jackaby Abigail
Jackaby Abi
JackAbi

The ship name is already made!