The Bone Season Series by Samantha Shannon – A Read Along discussion

The Bone Season (The Bone Season, #1)
This topic is about The Bone Season
INACTIVE 2014 Read along week 1. > PROS--The Rephaim

Comments Showing 1-23 of 23 (23 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Laura, Underqueen (new) - rated it 5 stars

Laura (luella22) | 58 comments Mod
They're obviously a HUGE piece of the story going forward, but what do you make of them in the very beginning of the book as Samantha Shannon introduces them?

message 2: by Danielle (new) - added it

Danielle Mcgraw | 5 comments I think shannon does a great job in the beginning getting you to hate them and their cruelty.

Bevan Boychuk | 5 comments As i said in another thread, I want to know more about their HISTORY!

Glenn | 5 comments Getting to hate them and their loyalty? Hmmm. I am still intrigued about how they came to be. - what brought them to yhis place and why they are the way they are . Nurture/nature questions?

Susan (bookishrevelations) | 8 comments Going into the book, I felt like the way they were introduced was interesting and the reason they were setting up the prison camps and the whole political aspects of them was really well written. They are incredibly cruel characters, but as you get to know them and the more you read further into the book, the more conflicted you find some of them are and then there are other things to look at as well regarding them. Something may not always appear the way you think it is.

Ashley Clark (anclark) | 2 comments I didn't notice this during my first read through, but I'm intrigued to know if the "buzzers" are actually trying to attack earth, or if the Rephaim are using something they control to cow Scion into letting themselves be ruled by the Rephaim. Just a thought!

Susan (bookishrevelations) | 8 comments Ashley wrote: "I didn't notice this during my first read through, but I'm intrigued to know if the "buzzers" are actually trying to attack earth, or if the Rephaim are using something they control to cow Scion in..."

Hey, that's actually and interesting theory. Hmmm...

Susan (bookishrevelations) | 8 comments I'm actually thinking that we'll find out a lot more about the Voyants, the Rephaim, as well as the mime-lords and such in The Mime Order. :)

message 9: by vvb (new) - rated it 5 stars

vvb Based on the first 5 chapters, I find that the Rephaims have vampire-like qualities/similarities.

message 10: by vvb (new) - rated it 5 stars

vvb And Nashira is divergent -- oops, that's another book ;-)

message 11: by Alix (new) - rated it 5 stars

Alix | 70 comments I'm also looking forward to learning more about their culture and history.
I realize on rereading that we actually get a first glimpse of one in Chapter 1, while Paige is dreamwalking, and learn that this being, whatever it is, has been visiting her section of London regularly. I think that Paige investigating it's dreamscape may have tipped them off to a dreamwalker's presence in the Citadel.
My first impression of the Rephaim is that they're mysterious and frightening, but also that their individual personalities emerge fairly quickly. Nashira comes across to me as a sanctimonious witch (though I use a word other then witch in my head) right away. I also notice that Graffias, the amaurotic keeper and Terebelle (who we haven't really met yet) have the same family name, but they will prove to be very different people.

Bevan Boychuk | 5 comments Alix wrote: "I'm also looking forward to learning more about their culture and history.
I realize on rereading that we actually get a first glimpse of one in Chapter 1, while Paige is dreamwalking"

I caught that too, and immediately thought it was Arcturus actually!

Cindra (mztikicat) I also thought that perhaps the unfamiliar mind presence Paige felt was Warden. Love his character. Always have been a sucker for someone who appears to be a "bad boy" w/the potential to have a good heart. There is some very interesting history/mythology out there concerning the actual Rephaim. Think that Nashira is an arrogant self-serving b**ch. Can ya tell I don't like her much?

The Loopy Librarian (loopy_librarian) | 3 comments The Rephaim are a mystery to me so far. This is my first read of the book, so at first guess they seem like aliens (i.e. can't remember that humans have to eat). However, they could be some other paranormal creature not unlike vampires. I also dislike Nashira immensely. My biggest challenge so far is trying to keep all the levels of clairvoyants straight in my head (thank goodness for the chart).

message 15: by Judy (new) - rated it 5 stars

Judy | 20 comments Susan wrote: "Ashley wrote: "I didn't notice this during my first read through, but I'm intrigued to know if the "buzzers" are actually trying to attack earth, or if the Rephaim are using something they control ..."

Hadn't thought of that, but could be!

message 16: by Judy (new) - rated it 5 stars

Judy | 20 comments Velvet wrote: "And Nashira is divergent -- oops, that's another book ;-)"

:)

message 17: by Judy (new) - rated it 5 stars

Judy | 20 comments Bevan wrote: "Alix wrote: "I'm also looking forward to learning more about their culture and history.
I realize on rereading that we actually get a first glimpse of one in Chapter 1, while Paige is dreamwalki..."

That would explain his immediate interest in her.

message 18: by Judy (new) - rated it 5 stars

Judy | 20 comments The Loopy Librarian wrote: "The Rephaim are a mystery to me so far. This is my first read of the book, so at first guess they seem like aliens (i.e. can't remember that humans have to eat). However, they could be some other p..."

I actually find I get much less confused if I don't try to keep the levels of Voyants straight. I tried my first time through and it slowed the story down a lot. I'm going to try this time just to check the chart if it seems pertinent to a particular situation.

Cindra (mztikicat) Velvet wrote: "Based on the first 5 chapters, I find that the Rephaims have vampire-like qualities/similarities."
Definitely remind me of a type of emo-vampire. Also, there was a character from another series who fed on auras (Mia). Think she was a banshee--a wicked creature.

Laura | 5 comments My first Thought: I will like the Raphs!

message 21: by Laura, Underqueen (new) - rated it 5 stars

Laura (luella22) | 58 comments Mod
Fascinating! I am really intrigued by the buzzers, myself. They're terrifying but what ARE they? I like this theory.

Ashley wrote: "I didn't notice this during my first read through, but I'm intrigued to know if the "buzzers" are actually trying to attack earth, or if the Rephaim are using something they control to cow Scion in..."

message 22: by Alix (new) - rated it 5 stars

Alix | 70 comments Re: Buzzers/Emmim, I'm also looking forward to learning more about them. Ashley's theory is interesting. They're clearly there and clearly dangerous, but were they here first, or are they here because the Rephaim are? The only explanation we really have of their presence at the moment is Nashira's, which is of course probably full of half truths (at best).

Bevan wrote (about Paige encountering a Reph dreamscape in chapter one): I caught that too, and immediately thought it was Arcturus actually,.
My theory was that it was possibly Gomesia or someone like, since Gomesia seems to travel to London a lot, whereas Warden is generally confined to the area around Sheol 1. Warden does manage to disappear a lot though, so who knows!

message 23: by Seo (new) - rated it 4 stars

Seo (seo10) | 11 comments I want to know how the Rephaims came to Earth!
Why are they in that way?? In fact, what are they?
Alix wrote: "Re: Buzzers/Emmim[...]They're clearly there and clearly dangerous, but were they here first, or are they here because the Rephaim are?"
I really like your questions

Judy wrote: "I actually find I get much less confused if I don't try to keep the levels of Voyants straight. I tried my first time through and it slowed the story down a lot."
I totally agree.
I figured out the levels differently. By the way, I don't know if it is due to Spanish version, but I don't think they are completely clear. I prefer to imagine it in my way, the chart confuses me

The Bone Season Series by Samantha Shannon – A...

unread topics | mark unread