The Bone Season Series by Samantha Shannon – A Read Along discussion

The Bone Season (The Bone Season, #1)
This topic is about The Bone Season
INACTIVE 2014 Read along week 1. > First thoughts—PROS

Comments Showing 1-18 of 18 (18 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Laura, Underqueen (new) - rated it 5 stars

Laura (luella22) | 58 comments Mod
love how Samantha Shannon throws you right into Paige’s world—clairvoyance, Scion, The Seven Seals—it’s all there within the first few pages!
If you're re-reading, what do you think this time around?

Bevan Boychuk | 5 comments I read the book last summer and recently bought the audio book which was on sale over on iTunes, I found listening to it incredibly difficult. So much going on and being explained, it's simply much easier to read

RepublicOfScion | 2 comments There's an incredible amount of world building, but with how rich and complex the story is, it is needed. I felt completely immersed in the story from Chapter 1.

message 4: by Gaia (last edited Oct 27, 2014 01:46PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Gaia | 3 comments I really love the cut that shannon had chosen for this series, the different kinds of gifts, the underground society and then a society more secret than the last. Really intriguing, but since I'm italian the translation of some term is really hard! my ebook reader doesn't know half of them, damn it!

Susan (bookishrevelations) | 8 comments One of the things that I love about this book, is the way that Samantha is able to balance the all of the action going on while introducing Paige's character, and not giving you a crazy info dump to get through in the first few chapters of the book. I love how she gives you just enough information along with the all of the action, the set up of the story, and the building of the world. This is just one of the more intriguing dystopian fantasy novels that I've read and re-read in a while and I loved how unique some of the aspects of are.

message 6: by vvb (new) - rated it 5 stars

vvb Really liking the intro to this world. I found myself flipping back and forth to the description tree and to the map. Very curious why the Warden decided to take on his first human.

Ashley Clark (anclark) | 2 comments The first time I read this book, I'm not going to lie, I felt completely lost in the first few chapters! With all of the new terminology and world building, I felt like I didn't understand anything that was going on and had no clue what anything meant. However, after re-reading the first 5 chapters this weekend, I felt that I had a MUCH better grasp on what was happening in Paige's world. While I still think there's a lot of new terminology to take in right off the bat, I did find that the second read through was much easier!

message 8: by Amy (new) - rated it 5 stars

Amy (doggiemom2) Ashley wrote: "The first time I read this book, I'm not going to lie, I felt completely lost in the first few chapters! With all of the new terminology and world building, I felt like I didn't understand anything..."

I agree. I'm finding it a lot easier the second time to get over some of the new terminology.

Susan (bookishrevelations) | 8 comments See, I didn't have much of a problem with the terminology, because I could kind of figure what it was referring to.

message 10: by Amy (new) - rated it 5 stars

Amy (doggiemom2) The first couple of chapters drew me in right away. I love this book. I hate putting it down.

message 11: by Alix (new) - rated it 5 stars

Alix | 70 comments The first time I read the book, I was rather perplexed and confused about everything, as Ashley said. Keeping cohorts and different types of voyants straight in my brain was tough, upon rereading, and having listened to the audiobook and read the author's "crashcourse" blog entries, I understand everything better, and notice little details, almost throwaway comments from Paige about herself that become explained more later, or the fact that Hector seemed to know that the subway train Paige takes was going to be searched. I feel that I started to really understand who Paige was and sympathize with her after she is captured. Seeing the composure with which she handles the traumatic situation she's thrust into, and how she manages to have compassion for the defenseless such as Seb, shows us what kind of a character she is.

Sanne (sannewalraven) Love the book, but I really do not like the fact that she uses multiple words for 1 thing. That just makes it confusing, even while I'm re-reading it, I sometimes have to flip back to the first chapters to check some terminology. I don't feel that's very reader-friendly, especially if you're writing for a YA public. But I'm reading the Dutch version, so perhaps the terms in English are more self-explanatory.

Bevan Boychuk | 5 comments Sanne wrote: "Love the book, but I really do not like the fact that she uses multiple words for 1 thing. That just makes it confusing, even while I'm re-reading it, I sometimes have to flip back to the first cha..."

Not really lol

Cindra (mztikicat) Totally loving the book second time around. It is a somewhat complicated book to absorb, due to the complexity of the world-building & establishing of the different voyant gifts. But that is also what makes it so fascinating to me. Have considered getting a Latin dictionary; thought getting back to some of the origins of "root" words would be helpful. Actually a Latin dictionary would be helpful for a lot of magical terminology in the UF books I enjoy.

Marnie | 4 comments I am really enjoying this book even more the 2nd time. I'm taking the time to read each word and follow the story. What I appreciate the most is the attention to each detail and I'm picturing each scene in my head.

message 16: by Judy (new) - rated it 5 stars

Judy | 20 comments Alix wrote: "The first time I read the book, I was rather perplexed and confused about everything, as Ashley said. Keeping cohorts and different types of voyants straight in my brain was tough, upon rereading,..."

Ashley wrote: "The first time I read this book, I'm not going to lie, I felt completely lost in the first few chapters! With all of the new terminology and world building, I felt like I didn't understand anything..."

Same here! I finished the first 5 chapters last night and feel like I understand it much better than the first read-through!

Mischief (bookguzzleguts) | 2 comments Don't know if anyone has mentioned this yet but Samantha has sold the movie rights to her book. Yes, there is going to be a movie. Not only that, she is commissioned to write a total of 6 books. This is what Shannon has said about who she would like to play her characters.

Q. Who would play your main characters in the movie?

A. I’ve thought about it for a while, but I always hit a blank with Paige and Warden. They look a very particular way in my head and it’s difficult to match that to anyone in Hollywood. I’d love Jaxon Hall to be played by Benedict Cumberbatch, though, and I think Alexander Skarsgård would make a wonderful Nick.

There's something to look forward to in 2015!!!!

message 18: by Seo (new) - rated it 4 stars

Seo (seo10) | 11 comments Sanne wrote: "Love the book, but I really do not like the fact that she uses multiple words for 1 thing. That just makes it confusing..."
I agree!
I like books with its own terminology and I know that you can't always use the same words, but I understand what you say.
This time I feel like it is easier to comprehend the whole world, but this is not a book to read on a noisy bus or something like that, you have to sit down and give it all your attention

The Bone Season Series by Samantha Shannon – A...

unread topics | mark unread