THE Group for Authors! discussion

Publishing and Promoting > Anybody tried Amazon Kindle Scout Program?

Comments Showing 1-18 of 18 (18 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by H.L. (new)

H.L. Carpenter | 9 comments Amazon started a new program called Kindle Scout that looks interesting for readers and authors.

With this program, authors post a book cover, an excerpt and a brief author interview for new books. The idea is for readers to read the excerpts and nominate the books they like. If the book makes it into the program, the author gets published and the readers who nominated the book get a free copy.

The books already listed look like good stories. We've been working our way through the titles.

We're trying it out as authors too. We entered our cozy mystery, A Cause for Murder .

It'll be interesting to see how this program works out.

message 2: by T.H. (new)

T.H. Hernandez (thhernandez) | 113 comments Good luck. I decided not to submit because they're only offering 50% in royalties instead of 70% and they tie up your rights. I'll be interested to see how it plays out though. I may submit in the future.

message 3: by 5ngela (new)

5ngela | 1 comments Don't know whether in this case there's different between 50% royalties from net price or list price.

message 4: by Kathryn (new)

Kathryn Lance | 15 comments I decided to enter my new novel, the third of a trilogy, because I have no other good way to get attention, even though the first two books in the trilogy sold well back in the day. If I win a publishing contract I'll be happy, though perhaps will have fewer opportunities to promote the trilogy. If I don't, I haven't really lost anything. I was pleased with the look of my "author page" that they created (from my text). It's here, if you are interested, and if you'd nominate me I'd be pleased. http://bit.ly/1BXc5HS (The book is Pandora's Promise.)

message 5: by Stan (new)

Stan Schatt (goodreadscomstan_schatt) | 2 comments I entered as well (see link below). The royalty structure isn't great (50/50), but Amazon Kindle's reach is enormous. The books are listed by genre. Right now Scout accepts mysteries, science fiction, thrillers, YA and romance --in other words, genre fiction and not "literary" fiction. I'd appreciate it if you would take a look at Alien Love. If you like it, then vote.
http://goo.gl/E0I8Dz

message 6: by Trish (new)

Trish Jackson (trishjax) | 5 comments I agree about the exposure. I entered but my book didn't make it. I'm okay with that bc now I know I should revise it and make it better.

message 7: by Pamela Murrey (new)

Pamela Murrey | 6 comments I hadn't had a chance to check it out. It does look interesting!

message 8: by Trish (new)

Trish Jackson (trishjax) | 5 comments Pamela Murrey wrote: "I hadn't had a chance to check it out. It does look interesting!"

It is still ongoing. You can submit your story at any time.

message 9: by Kathryn (new)

Kathryn Lance | 15 comments Stan's and my campaigns began on the same day. I'm not clear if we are "rivals," because it is not clear exactly how they choose the winners. I do know that it takes a lot of work to stay on the "hot and trending" list, though perhaps that is just for my book. When I notice I have fallen off, I notify a bunch of people to please nominate me. I will probably run out of people before the campaign is through.

message 10: by Anne (new)

Anne Hagan (anne_hagan) | 286 comments Kathryn wrote: "Stan's and my campaigns began on the same day. I'm not clear if we are "rivals," because it is not clear exactly how they choose the winners. I do know that it takes a lot of work to stay on the "h..."

Your book sounds quite interesting and I gave you a nomination. Stan's also sounds great but, since you can nominate only one and changing knocks the other off, you get the win. I won't even peruse the other books offered to keep from inadvertently taking my vote away from your book. Good luck!

message 11: by Kathryn (new)

Kathryn Lance | 15 comments Anne wrote: "Kathryn wrote: "Stan's and my campaigns began on the same day. I'm not clear if we are "rivals," because it is not clear exactly how they choose the winners. I do know that it takes a lot of work t..."

Thanks, Anne! (Sorry, Stan.) I will definitely publish the book if it doesn't win, so you can read the rest of it then. :-)

message 12: by Kathryn (new)

Kathryn Lance | 15 comments I have a writing blog, mostly with writing tips, but my latest post is about how I did the submission materials--which were rather daunting because the space is so limited. If anyone is interested, here's the url to my post: http://klandherbooks.blogspot.com/201...

message 13: by Martyn (new)

Martyn Halm (amsterdamassassinseries) | 248 comments Kathryn wrote: "I have a writing blog, mostly with writing tips, but my latest post is about how I did the submission materials--which were rather daunting because the space is so limited. If anyone is interested,..."

I read your blog article with great interest. I self-publish a series, but I've written a stand alone book that might be interesting to try.

Thanks to your article I culled down the tagline to 44 characters:

Picking the wrong pocket might prove fatal…

And the description stays within the 500 character limit:

Nomadic pickpocket Wolfgang gets blackmailed into teaching his craft to the mysterious Lilith, a young woman with no aptitude whatsoever to become a pickpocket. Wolf figures the easiest way is to go with the flow and instruct Lilith in the art of emptying other people’s pockets, but even he could never foresee the dreadful consequences…
Follow Wolf as he gets entangled in a possibly fatal web of violence and deceit, where nobody is who they seem to be and everyone has a hidden agenda.

I'm currently working on publishing my fourth Katla KillFile though, so I think I'll submit IN POCKET in the new year.

message 14: by Cindy (new)

Cindy Hiday | 18 comments I'm uncomfortable with the wording in the Publishing Agreement: "If your book is selected for publication by Kindle Press, we'll have the exclusive worldwide right to publish it in eBook and audio formats, in all languages, for a term beginning on the selection date and auto-renewing every five years. If you do not earn at least $25,000 during any 5-year term, you'll have six months after the end of that 5-year period in which you can choose to stop publishing with us and request your rights back." Should you be selected for publication and your book does extremely well, you may never get the rights to your story back.

message 15: by Kathryn (new)

Kathryn Lance | 15 comments Martyn V. (aka Baron Sang-Froid) wrote: "Kathryn wrote: "I have a writing blog, mostly with writing tips, but my latest post is about how I did the submission materials--which were rather daunting because the space is so limited. If anyon..."

message 16: by Kathryn (new)

Kathryn Lance | 15 comments Cindy wrote: "I'm uncomfortable with the wording in the Publishing Agreement: "If your book is selected for publication by Kindle Press, we'll have the exclusive worldwide right to publish it in eBook and audio ..."

Cindy, I hear you. I am at a point in my career where it made sense to do it. Though I could have gone through my agent for this book, experience teaches me it might be as long as two or three years before it was finally published. I want it out there NOW, and Kindle Scout seems like the best way to get some attention. I realize it is a long shot, but I am no worse off and probably ahead of the game even if I don't "win" and just go ahead with the self-pub. This is obviously not the best answer for everyone.

message 17: by Cindy (new)

Cindy Hiday | 18 comments Kathryn wrote: "Cindy wrote: "I'm uncomfortable with the wording in the Publishing Agreement: "If your book is selected for publication by Kindle Press, we'll have the exclusive worldwide right to publish it in eB..."

Best of luck to you, Kathryn. It sounds like you've thought it through and are doing what you feel comfortable with. I read your blog post...congratulations on the great 43-character tag line!

message 18: by Kathryn (new)

Kathryn Lance | 15 comments Cindy wrote: "Kathryn wrote: "Cindy wrote: "I'm uncomfortable with the wording in the Publishing Agreement: "If your book is selected for publication by Kindle Press, we'll have the exclusive worldwide right to ..."

Thanks, Cindy! It's amazing how long it takes to get something "small" right.