Lambley English II PreAP, 2014-15, Period 7 discussion

2nd 6 Weeks Assignment #2

Comments Showing 1-23 of 23 (23 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Tyler (new)

Tyler Lambley | 8 comments Mod
Your assignment this part of the six weeks has two parts:

1. Update your books that you're currently reading, and give a review of where you are in the book. You don't have to rate the book just yet, but give a review. Make your review at least 6 sentences.

2. Comment below with three quotations from the book that you're currently reading that stand out to you. Answer the following questions with the quotes: Why do you think they're important? Why do those quotes represent the book you're reading?

This is due by midnight, November 7.

message 2: by Sarah (new)

Sarah Hoang | 7 comments 1.) "The first night, you took your ginger and pointed to the top of my head, then traced a line between my eyes, down my nose, over my lips, my chin, my neck, to the center if my chest. It was do surprising, I knew I would never mimic it. That one gesture would be yours forever." This quote is important because it shows the reader that along this journey as they both become closer, there are things that could only be between them. That closer bond. This represents the book because when he said, that gesture would be yours forever." shows how the little things make you fall in love with the person even more.
2.) "It scared me how hard it is to remember life before you. I can't even make the comparison anymore, because my memories of that time have all the depth of a photograph." This is significant because the reader can relate to this if they have ever been in love. What he's feeling we understand it. This represents the book because it's about what love can have an affect on you. It makes you get "lost in time".
3.) "Fuck you for cheating. Fuck you for reducing it to the word cheating. As if this were a card game, and you sneaked a look at my hand. Who came up with the term cheating,anyway? A cheater, I imagine. Someone who thought liar was too harsh. Someone who thought devastator was too emotional. The same person who thought, oops, he'd gotten caught with his hand in the cookie jar. Fuck you. This isn't about slipping yourself an extra $20 of Monopoly money. These are our lives. You are so much worse than a cheater. You killed something. And you killed it when it's back was turned." This whole section is important because it shows how furious and how he rambles on about it.It builds his character. He wouldn't say all this unless what she did wasn't just "devastating", it "killed". This represents the book by showing the conflicts that happen, what love can do to you.

message 3: by Juana (last edited Nov 04, 2014 02:51PM) (new)

Juana G | 7 comments (1) "Her story told me how stupid I'd been to hate Malcolm. I'd created a myth about him, about his manipulations, and misdeeds, and I'd carried a mental image of him with me, taking pleasure in loathing it. Now I had to let that image go." I think that this quote is important, because one can connect to it. Like, I think that we all had had that one bad image of a person, because someone said something about them or because of a simple superstition, but then they do something that helps or impresses us in a good way, so we change the way we view them. This quote represents the book because hatred towards someone that has nothing to do with what actually is happening, such as murdering, kidnapping, poisoning, and wanting to commit homicide, lets the reader know, that one should always be attentive to what's happening around our surroundings and to know who we truly are associating with.

(2) "I'm forever surprised and impressed by the kindness of strangers. So many times, when I've felt ready to give up, they've made the small gestures that sustained me." I believe that this quote is influential because the reader can most likely relate to it. If the reader has ever felt sad, and they went out to a store or streets, or even in school, some strangers are kind enough to give a smile or say something nice that makes their day, and think "oh my god the world isn't as bad as I thought," and suddenly their mood becomes ten times better. This quote represents the book because in society there are many different types of personalities. Well, most likely a person displays a personality that is not them. They can be nice and friendly, and then you discover something, and all of a sudden they're your enemy and are capable of doing bad things, and vice versa.

(3) "Our strength grows out of our weaknesses," she read one morning. "The indignation which arms itself with secret forces does not awaken until we are pricked and stung sorely assailed. A great man is always willing to be little." I think that this quote is significant because one always needs at least a little bit of inspiration to keep going no matter how bad we are hurt. This quote represents the book because when it says "A great man is always willing to be little" it means that we should always be ourselves no matter how someone else sees us. Since, society expects us to portray ourselves in a specific way, being comfortable with yourself is important to be able to see the reality of your surroundings.

message 4: by Angelica (new)

Angelica Perez | 6 comments 1.) "he stretched out his arms toward the dark water in a curious way, I could have sworn he was trembling...I glanced seaward-and distinguished nothing except a single green light, minute and faraway..." I think this quote is important because you can see how Gatsby truly misses Daisy. This Green light represents her (daisy) and how Gatsby so badly wants to meet her or see her once again after so long. This quote is important in the book because it occasionally goes back to the green light and how the meaning of it slightly changes depending on the relationship of Gatsby and Daisy.

2.)""Cant repeat the past?" he cried incredulously "Why of course you can!"" I think this quote is important because it shows how Gatsby is, as someone that doesn't let go of the past, and wants everything to go according to plan. In the end i think this 'not letting go' will eventually back fire him later in the book.

3.)"It was one of those rare smiles with a quality of eternal reassurance in it...It understood you as far as you wanted to be understood, believed in you as much you would like to believe in yourself..." I think this quote is important, because Gatsby to some point gives hope to Nick. Almost as if being what Nick wants to be in some point in his life. Gatsby smile seems important, but still not Entirely 100% sure what the exact meaning is overall the book. (I haven't finished reading the book)

message 5: by Cecilia (new)

Cecilia Huerta | 6 comments 1)"Everything looked the same,but she knew in her heart that it was all different now.November finally turned back to the little white tube in the box and followed the instructions,which were written,she noticed, in Spanish and French as well. Three minutes later the indicator silently screamed the news that she already suspected. She was pregnant." This quote is important to the book because it presents the conflict the main character will have to face throughout the book. This represents the book because the baby will bring November many changes to her life.

2)"Well, I was terrified of going to one of those places where protesters picket out front with pictures of dead babies on posters. And the thought of somebody digging inside my body to scrape a human being out scared me even more. I just couldn't do it." This quote is important because it shows that November has thought of taking the easy way out of her problem. This represents the book because it shows how their was a harsh way to get rid of the baby but she decides to keep her.

3)"Well,there goes Mom's big secret,she thought a few minutes later as she washed her hands. it's not like it wasn't gonna creep out eventually. She sighed. Now it begins. She wandered the halls until the bell rang, when she darted into the room, grabbed her books, and scooted back out. She avoided looking at Mr. Fox or anyone else. By the end of the day, everybody at school knew that November was pregnant." This is important because not only will November have to deal with her pregnancy, she will also have to deal with people at school. This represents the book because November has support from her friends but she also has people that will judge her and try to bring her down.

message 6: by Anthony (new)

Anthony Gomez | 6 comments 1): “All fearfulness must here be left behind; all forms of cowardice must here be dead. We ’ve reached the place where, as I said to thee, thou ’lt see the sad folk who have lost the Good which is the object of the intellect.” As Virgil says this to Dante, we see compassion, it engages the reader with the feelings of the characters. It's important as it slowly develops a relationship between the reader & our travelers.
2): "Midway on our life’s journey, I found myself
In dark woods, the right road lost." As this story commences Dante is already making the reader know what he feels. He shows us his feeling on being lost in the world, as he is lost & put into this upcoming great journey he allows us to feel something for him in order to better understand the importance of the situation.
3): ". through me you enter into the city of woes through me you enter into eternal pain, through me you enter the population of loss.... abandon all hope, you who enter here. "
As our Dante reads this in the gates of hell we get a vibe of the new coming environment, we get a taste of the feel which will slowly develop as the story continues. It also foreshadows the coming hardships Dante will face... I mean come on... It's a gate to HELL.

message 7: by Genesis (new)

Genesis | 6 comments 1.) “It's so hard to talk when you want to kill yourself. That's above and beyond everything else, and it's not a mental complaint-it's a physical thing, like it's physically hard to open your mouth and make the words come out. They don't come out smooth and in conjunction with your brain the way normal people's words do; they come out in chunks as if from a crushed-ice dispenser; you stumble on them as they gather behind your lower lip. So you just keep quiet." This quote is important to the book because it shows how terrible Craig is feeling inside. Al this depression is what leads him to the inpatient hospital.
2.) “Life's not about feeling better, it's about getting the job done.” This quote is important because in this moment, Craig is starting to eat normally. It's a huge step for him because his depression gave him a really bad eating disorder.
3.) “Life can't be cured, but it can be managed.” At the end of the book, Craig is finally starting to feel better. This is very important because he does major changes in his life. He quits this high quality private school to enter an art school showing that he finally starts to value his happiness over anything.

message 8: by Ayleen (new)

Ayleen Castillo | 7 comments I'm still reading The Maze Runner. There's so many things about this book that has many unanswered questions. Like why does Gally hate Thomas so much? Or what is that they see in the "changing"? Or why are they put in the Maze? That's the good part about the book because it's persuading me to want to read the other books just to get answers. I basically feel what Thomas is feeling because he doesn't know what's going on and that's really cool because it makes me feel as if I was in the story. This book is full of suspense, not the scary type of suspense but the suspense that makes you wonder what else is going to happen.

"They'd wiped his memory and put him inside a gigantic maze. It was all so crazy it really did seem funny." At the beginning of the book this quote seems to be important because Thomas can't just appear in a maze just because. It represents how they are manipulated, basically controlled by someone or something they don't even know. Another important quote from the story is "As he explored the area, he realized more and more how well the Gladers kept up the place, how clean it was. He was impressed by how organized they must be, how hard they all must work. He could only imagine how truly horrific a place like this could be if everyone went lazy and stupid." It is important because it represents how the Gladers had adapted to the maze. Since they were stuck in the maze they had no choice but to adapt to however life was going to be like. Last but not least "Who was she? The irony of the question struck him—he didn't even know who he was." This quote is important because it represents how he didn't know who he was nor did he know who the girl was. It also represents identity and how he didn't know who he was yet wanted to know who other people were.

message 9: by Josue (new)

Josue | 2 comments 1. “I hope she'll be a fool -- that's the best thing a girl can be in this world, a beautiful little fool.” Here the main character is thinking about the girl because she's different and he's thinking about her and yep. This is important because if he didn't feel anything for the girl then the story would be pointless and she ends up changing the way he is.
2. “And so with the sunshine and the great bursts of leaves growing on the trees, just as things grow in fast movies, I had that familiar conviction that life was beginning over again with the summer.” Here he talks more about the way he feels and this is still important because it shows how he actually feels me his true self and how's he opening up more.
3. “I felt a haunting loneliness sometimes, and felt it in others--young clerks in the dusk, wasting the most poignant moments of night and life.” Here it talks about how he sees things but in a different perspective but it's different and how he sees things and yeah it's important because that's basically what the whole story builds up to and yeah yeah :3

message 10: by Irving (new)

Irving Peguero | 6 comments In my book "Diary of a wimpy kid" I am on page 10. So far it is talking about how his "Diary" is not a diary it is a journal and how he will keep track of his life in it so when he becomes famous he won't be bothered by other peoples questions about him. He also mentions how many people hit puberty over the summer except him and a few others. He also tries to give you advice on how to survive in middle school. He informs you about his best friend Rowley also. Also the importance of picking your seat on the first day of school. Some quotations from the book are ...

message 11: by Irving (new)

Irving Peguero | 6 comments Not done yet.

message 12: by Lilli (new)

Lilli | 6 comments 1. "I hope she'll be a fool-that's the best thing a girl can be in this world, a beautiful little fool."
this quote is important to the book because it shows how society doesn't value women's intelligence. daisy is implying that it is better to be beautiful and simplistic. this is how society thought it should be back in the early 1900's.

2."He had one of those rare smiles with a quality of eternal reassurance in it, that you may come across four or five times in life. It faced, or seemed to face, the whole external world for an instant and then concentrated on you with an irresistible prejudice in your favor. It understood you just as far as you wanted to be understood, believed in you as you would like to believe in yourself."
this quote is important to the book because it brings out Gatsby's character in the novel. nick describes Gatsby's smile as if when he smiles its like that smile is just for you, like he chose you out of "the whole external world". this makes Gatsby's character so admirable and favored in the novel.

3."Everyone suspects himself of at least one of the cardinal virtues, and this is mine: I am one of the few honest people that I have ever known."
this is an important to the book because it also shows what kind of a person nick really is. he is an honest liar. nick is in fact a liar, but he never loses faith in his own pure "honesty". nick might try to come off as a nice guy but his actions prove that he is dishonest and has no morals.

message 13: by Luiz (new)

Luiz Medina | 5 comments "Walls have ears.
Doors have eyes.
Trees have voices.
Beasts tell lies.
Beware the rain.
Beware the snow.
Beware the man
You think you know."This tells me that in the book "Icarceron" that you can't have privacy or keep secrets.

“I remember a story of a girl in Paradise who ate an apple once. Some wise Sapient gave it to her. Because of it she saw things differently. What had seemed gold coins were dead leaves. Rich clothes were rags of cobweb. And she saw there was a wall around the world, with a locked gate.”This quote is important because this girl is the wardens daughter and she realized that the life she is living is not satisfying.

“If it means my death, I don't care, because even death will be a sort of freedom.”Since "Incarceron" is a prison that evryone struggles by so much.

message 14: by Ciro (new)

Ciro | 6 comments 1.) "LIVING OUR BEST LIFE TODAY" this quote is important it shows how they live their life throughout the book. Augustus and Hazel are both sick, so they both try to live their life as much as they can. this quote represents the book "The Fault in our Stars" because all this book is about how they both are gonna die and both of them try to live their life together.
2.) "You don't get to choose if you get hurt in this world, old man, but you do have some say in who hurts you. I like my choices." this quote is important because both Augustus and Hazel make choices, bad and good choices. So its up to them to put up with those choices. And this quote represents the book because choices are made all through out the book. Everything they do is based on choices they make.
3.) "I wanted more time so we could fall in love." this quote is important because this whole book is about how they both fall in love, but because of the circumstances, they don't have much time. So all they do is be together. They both have to live with the cancer inside of them, but also with the love they have for each other. knowing that they didn't have the rest of their lives to be together, is sad. And this quote represents the book because mostly the whole book is about how they both fall in love. And wishing that they had more time to be together and love each other. but they couldn't.

message 15: by Jonathan Romero (new)

Jonathan Romero | 8 comments “To die would be an awfully big adventure.”
― J.M. Barrie, Peter Pan
This one quote really stand out to me because it makes you think really deep about the kids in Neverland, like are they dead children and there in a huge adventure with Peter?
“Dreams do come true, if only we wish hard enough. You can have anything in life if you will sacrifice everything else for it.”
― J.M. Barrie, Peter Pan
This next quote is very deep and true, you can't just dream about what you wanna do, you have to work hard for you have to want it you can't just give up because some thing bad happen you just have endure all the adversity to make your dream come true.
“The moment you doubt whether you can fly, you cease for ever to be able to do it.”
― J.M. Barrie, Peter Pan
This quote is very easy to under stand, but its also deep, basically its saying if you don't believe in your self, how would you expect to anything, how do you expect your self to be the best, you have to believe nothin but the best for all you wishes can come true.

message 16: by Gigi (new)

Gigi Zarazua | 6 comments 1)"He told them he loved them. Each and every one of them. He spoke without notes but chose his words carefully", this quotation shows how Mr. D (highschool principle) really truly cares about his students, individually. I think the author chose to put this as the first sentence of the book to foreshadow a later event and show how much the massacre hurt the principal and how just about everybody loved each other.
2)"Eric Harris was a brain...a cool brain...he dated....and he got chicks...lots of chicks", this quotation shows kind of an ironic twist. Eric turns out to be the main guy who planned the whole massacre but yet again, here is the author describing him as this cool guy who you would figure would be the last kid to shoot up a school.
3)"Dylan Klebold was a brain...but not so quite cool...tried to estimulate Eric." this quotation shows how Dylan was the guy who had nothing, not girls, not a high social status, not even good looks. Someone would think he would be the one to start off the whole massacre but we later discover that he just wanted to be loved and did little to no damage to anyone. This just shows the ironic twist to this story and how the author chose to kind of trick the reader.

message 17: by Nubia (new)

Nubia Moctezuma | 5 comments 1)"If what they kept and clung to seemed strange,part of me sympathized:it was all they had left of their home.Just because they knew it was lost didn't mean they knew how to let it go"-Hollow City by Ransom Riggs
This quote stood out to me because it's pretty accurate to what is happening today with many people. We know we've lost something, but we have a really hard time accepting it.This represents the book I'm reading because the reader can relate to what the children are feeling at this point in the story.
2)"Laughing doesn’t make bad things worse any more than crying makes them better" -Hollow City
This quote stood out to me because I had never really seen things this way. You always hear someone saying "Crying isn't going to make it any better" But this? I thought it was a cool quote. This represents the book I'm reading because it shows that no matter what you're going through, you have to keep your head up and your goal in mind.
3)"In battle you don't aim for the enemy's pinky toe first-you stab him right through the heart!"-Hollow city
This quote stood out to me because I thought it was really funny. This represents my book because it shows that the children are actually beginning to put aside their uneasiness of killing for the sake of their survival.

message 18: by Oscar (new)

Oscar Diaz | 6 comments Gym Candy by Carl Deuker

1.) "Diver smacked right into me, knocking my backpack out of my hand and sending my stuff flying all over the place. He was reaching down to pick up my books, instead of letting him do it, I lost it, like a volcano that erupts without warning" This quote is important because it describes a negative side effect of using steroids. They represent the book I'm reading because it emphasizes how steroids can affect your mood.

2.) "I use steroids because I have to" I think this is important because he thinks he's not strong enough without the steroids. They represent the book because it let's you know that it's not a choice but a necessity.

3.) "come next september, I want to be in the locker room before a football game, not sneaking off to a bathroom stall, not hiding anything, just there, with my teammates, just one of the guys." I think it's important because he finally recovered. They represent the book because after all he went through he finally realize it was wrong to cheat.

message 19: by Tali (new)

Tali Barrera | 7 comments 1) "i find people confusing"
This quote is so simple but yet says so much for the book. It shows us how he looks at people. That he sees people as confusing human beings. Since he is autistic he sees the world through a whole other lense than us "normal people"
2) "in proper novles people say things like, "I am veined with iron, with silver and with streaks of common mud. I cannot contract into the firm fist which those clench who do not depend on stimulus.' What does this mean? I do not know. Nor does father. Nor does siobhanor Mr. Jeavons. I have asked them."
This explains that he thinks like a real person, not some robot. It gives us a clearer view into him mind and how he doesnt understand when people talk to him like that.
3) "The world is full of obvious things which nobody by any chance ever observes."
This is important because like the first quote, its so simple but has a deep meaning to it. People ignor things that are right infront of their face and they make life harder than what it is. His perspective on people's decisions.

message 20: by Lizbeth (new)

Lizbeth G | 6 comments “When I think of my wife, I always think of her head. … Like a child, I picture opening her skull, unspool­ing her brain and sifting through it, trying to catch and pin down her thoughts. What are you thinking, Amy?” This quote is insanely on point because it makes you think that Nick could had possibly had something to do with his wife disappearance.
"He promised to take care of me, and yet I feel afraid. I feel like something is going wrong, very wrong, and that it will get even worse. This quote stood out because it show the fear Amy has towards her husband although when Nick is talking he seems very kind and affectionate towards Amy. The author probably used the quote in this manner to make the reader choose a side.
"...That description was not me and Amy. It was me and Andie. The woodshed is one of many strange places where I had sex with Andie...each clue was hidden in a spot where I'd cheated Amy." This quote stood out the most, because if you continue reading it is revealed that Amy's disappearance is staged to make Nick look guilty. I think the author used this quote to make the reader slam their head against the desk several times after reading it also the fact that it makes you want to continue reading it.
"

message 21: by Salvador Nunez (new)

Salvador Nunez | 5 comments 1.“The village of Holcomb stands on the high wheat plains of western Kansas, a lonesome area that other Kansans call ‘out there'..." I think this quote is important not only because it describes the setting but because that's what the author wants you think since a beautiful scenario like this is an unlikely placem for a murder to happen.
2.“This hitherto peaceful congregation of neighbors and old friends had suddenly to endure the unique experience of distrusting each other; understandably, they believed that the murderer was among themselves.” This quote shows that The Clutter Family was Holcomb's first tragedy and everyone was have a feeling of guilt as if this is the first time open up to the world and feel reality.
3.“‘Deal me out, baby,’ Dick said. ‘I’m a normal.’ And Dick meant what he said. He thought of himself as balanced, as sane as anyone... But Perry—there was, in Dick’s opinion, ‘something wrong’ with Little Perry.” This shows the criminals point of views of each other. This is where we get to see the relationship of this 2 and maybe even know why the killed The Clutter Family.

(I know i turned it in late but i still felt like doing because I was asleep all day and i just woke up lol)

message 22: by Sandra (new)

Sandra Cruz | 6 comments ·""is that you display equal aptitude for Abnegation, Dauntless, and Erudite. People who get this kind of results are..." She looks over her shoulder like she expects someone to appear behind her"... are called... Divergent"" This quote is important because it's basically when Beatrice life changes and she really doesn't really understand what she is exactly.
·"I hold both hands to my chest, and my next breath shudders on the way out. I open my eyes and thrust my arm out. My blood drips onto the carpet between the two bowls. Then, with a gasp I can't contain, I shift my hand forward, and my blood sizzles on the coals. I am selfish. I am brave." This quote is important because it's when Beatrice decides to start a new life in a New faction that she always loved to admire.
·""Can't believe it," a voice says from behind him. It belongs to a dark-haired girl with three silver rings through her right eyebrow. She smirks at me. "A Stiff, the first to jump? Unheard of." This quote is important because it shows how Abnegation people are know as way different people than the other factions and it shows that they're made fun of.

message 23: by Giovanni (new)

Giovanni | 7 comments 1.) "Because every minute I have to think about surviving.Every minute." pg.147 of Never Fall Down
This quote is important to the book because he had just killed a small monkey for food, even though the monkey did nothing but, Arn, the protagonist, killed him so he could survive in the jungle. This shows how much Arn has changed since he was back in Cambodia, before the Khmer rouge destroyed his life, by seperating his family and almost working them all to death in giant rice fields.
2.) "I think about, long time ago, catching frogs with Hong how you put little frogs on a strong and wait for the big frog to cone eat the little one."pg.118
This qoute is when Arn realizes that the group, The Khmer rouge forced Arn in, called the "little fish" who were used highly suicidal missions. This is important because he realizes that the Khmer rouge is going to let all the kids die. Which later convinces him to run away, away from his group after a brother like figure leaves to Thailand bring a kid to the hospital. Which also leads him to realize that there is nothing but death for him in the Khmer rouge.
3.) "…first time I see my own body also a skeleton." pg.137
This quote is important because it shows the first time Arn has looked at himself for a long time, showing him that he looked like a skeleton this whole time, and compared himself to the other boy and he was just another pawn that the Khmer rouge used. he was just another starving nuisance like the other kids.That no matter what he does he will never be treated like anything more in Cambodia when the Khmer rouge are in power.