Lambley English II PreAP, 2014-5, Period 2 discussion

2nd 6 Weeks Assignment #2

Comments Showing 1-24 of 24 (24 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Tyler (last edited Oct 27, 2014 06:21AM) (new)

Tyler Lambley | 8 comments Mod
Your assignment this part of the six weeks has two parts:

1. Update your books that you're currently reading, and give a review of where you are in the book. You don't have to rate the book just yet, but give a review. Make your review at least 6 sentences.

2. Comment below with three quotations from the book that you're currently reading that stand out to you. Answer the following questions with the quotes: Why do you think they're important? Why do those quotes represent the book you're reading?

This is due by midnight, November 7.

message 2: by Sydney (new)

Sydney Lopez | 11 comments ""No.. let's just stay like this for a minute." He says."
(Tess and Harry are cuddling)

"You aren't .. you're not .. you know.. changing your mind?" His voice is slow and unsure."
(Tess forgave Harry for betraying her)

"Tessa, honestly you have given me enough. You worrying about a Christmas gift is ridiculous."
(Tess is worried about having gifts for everyone considering she just forgave Harry)

These three quotes are important to the book "After" because it showcases the constant affection, concern, and gratification between both protagonists towards each other. These emotions, actions, and atmospheres are present throughout the book so far creating a climb of the plot to reach its ultimate climax. This is a great way to make plot twists possible in any part of the story.

message 3: by Zesia (new)

Zesia Villalta | 5 comments "Sometimes you cry,Susie,even when some one you love has been gone for a long time" this quote is important because its when Susies grandfather reveals that even in heaven their are painful memories.

"Stones and bones;snow and frost;seeds and beans and polliwogs.Paths and twigs, assorted kisses, we all know who Susie misses".This quote is important to the lovely bones novel because it shows when Susie reciates a poem her father would tell her when she was little and it comforts her to have it because she know she will soon leave earth and evrey one in it."

"Last night it had been my father who finally said it,"Shes never coming home."A clear and easy piece of truth that everyone who has ever known me had accepted.But he needed to say it and she needed to hear it ." This part is also important to the book because its when her family finally accepts the truth.Susie is dead.

message 4: by Alejandro (new)

Alejandro V. | 6 comments "Only, if it's the last time you'll ever see your mother, you sort of start to wish you'd stopped and did those things"
This quote is important because its showing us what the character feels like after going through a series of events. In this case the character doesn't get to see his mom because he now has to survive along a pattern of natural disasters.

"He started crying when we realized the Network was down"
This quote is also important because its showing how the characters start to realize in what trouble they are in. If they have no Network then they are not able to communicate with others and be informed of what's happening.

" ' Screw this,' Sahalia said. ' I'm going home' "
This quote is similarly important because its demonstrating how she doesn't care of staying united and trying to work out the situation. Adjacent to that, it shows how she is not following the rules of Mrs. Wooly.

All of these quotes represent the book I'm reading because they all relate to the situation they are having to go through. The three of the quotes illustrate the feelings of characters towards how they are having to face the series of natural disasters. The natural disasters that are randomly happening are causing characters to react in different ways. For instance we can see how Sahalia is "quitting" and she is trying to go home. In summary, these lines represent the book of Monument 14.

message 5: by Lizbeth (new)

Lizbeth Romano | 8 comments "I've left some clues for you. If you want them, turn the page. If you don't, put the book back on the shelf, please. " I think this quote of the book os is very significant because it represents how Dash & Lily's love story began.
"There are just lots of possibilities in the world...I need to keep my mind open for what could happen and not decide that the world is hopeless if what I want to happen doesn't happen. Because something else great might happen in between." I think this is also a very significant quote because it defines how both characters Dash and Lily are, it describes them and it's honestly a very inspiring quote! "I'm told there's no going back. So I'm choosing forward." This quote shows the strength both characters had, even though they were totally opposite to each other they decided to move forward and fight for their love.

message 6: by Mauricio (new)

Mauricio Arevalo | 6 comments "She grew daring and reckless, overestimating her strength. She wanted to swim out where no woman had swum before." This quote is important because it shows that Edna is not afraid to do the things she does . It represents the book because at the time woman had no rights to speak for them selves and this quote shows how she stands up and speak for every woman.

"Think of the children; think of them". This quote is important because throughout the novel Edna loves her children and that's one of the reasons that keep her alive . It represents the book because if it was not for the kids she would of committed suicide sooner .

message 7: by Mauricio (new)

Mauricio Arevalo | 6 comments "...she stood naked in the open air, at the mercy of the sun, the breeze that beat upon her...". This quote is important because it shows that she is free from everything and that's why she's naked. It represents the book by showing that she grew tired of not being able to stand up for her self.

message 8: by Kendi (new)

Kendi | 11 comments 1. "Simply to endure is to triumph"
Lakshmi remember this words from her mother Ama. When her mother said this she was telling her the life of a wive if you were from Nepal. The expression means that enduring through hardships lead to survival. This is important and builds up the book because Lakshmi lives by these words while in the "Happy House"( the prostitution house) because although through all the hard and devastating times she has in this place her hardship and survival is consider a triumph for her.
2. "Inside my head I carry:
my baby goat, my baby brother, my ama's face, our family's future.
My bundle is light. My burden is heavy."
This is important to the book because she is a teenager who was forced to do something she didn't wanted to do and still has hope to be reunited with his family, even though right now she has nothing but memories of them. This represent the book because it advocates the strength Lakshmi has even for a 13 y/o.
3. “A son will always be a son, they say. But a girl is like a goat. Good as long as she gives you milk and butter. But not worth crying over when it’s time to make a stew.” This quote is important because it shows how the woman from this region are just treated like objects, like animals. It shows how man are the ones in control, in power and woman have no right for themselves and are used to provide for others. This expression is relevant and represents the book because it sets the setting of the book and demonstrate how sons are valued more than daughters in this society. That males are the ones with the power over the other gender.

message 9: by Maria (new)

Maria Lopez | 6 comments The kite runner
"... We spoke our first words. Mine was Baba. His was Amir. My name. Looking back on it now, I think that the foundation for what happened in the winter of 1975 - and all that followed - was already laid in those words."
This quote created some sense of mystery for me since now I want to know what happened that winter. It also foreshadows and tells me who is going to be involved in the problem.

" Now no matter what mullah teachers, there is only is only one sin and that is theft. Every other sin is a variation of theft ."
This quoted creates Baba's character. Make me think how this character is going to contribute to the problem.

" '... He's always buried in those books ... I wasn't like that.' Baba sounded frustrated, almost angry. Rahim Khan laughed. 'Children aren't coloring books. You don't get to fill them with your favorite color.' "
In this quote Baba is telling his friend what he doesn't like about Amir and this tells me that even though Baba is a wise man he can't accept his son the way he is. This makes Amir always try to win his dad's love.

message 10: by Daisy (new)

Daisy Mendoza | 7 comments "Safe in bed." Said Flora,....
"In bed. Not safe!" Anthea answered.
Anthea replied. "It's just as dangerous there as anywhere else."

The quotes are important to the story since its about a hunting. They say that in bed your safe but in reality it's still dangerous. It'll show that no matter where you hide you are never safe from the dead.

It represents the story because the hunting becomes much more sinister which means it's even more parlous. Especially when the character dreams. The dreams are ghastly, evocative, and it engulfs whom ever dreams that eerie thought. It also shows that the girl dreams it to escape her forlorn life but is it really worth traveling to a whole disparate universe that only exists in the corner of her mind? If it makes her feel delighted then yes. Since no one else seems to surmise the idea of having spirits in the house.

Book: Dangerous Spaces by Margaret Mahy

message 11: by Daisy (new)

Daisy Mendoza | 7 comments "Safe in bed." Said Flora,....
"In bed. Not safe!" Anthea answered.
Anthea replied. "It's just as dangerous there as anywhere else."

The quotes are important to the story since its about a hunting. They say that in bed your safe but in reality it's still dangerous. It'll show that no matter where you hide you are never safe from the dead.

It represents the story because the hunting becomes much more sinister which means it's even more parlous. Especially when the character dreams. The dreams are ghastly, evocative, and it engulfs whom ever dreams that eerie thought. It also shows that the girl dreams it to escape her forlorn life but is it really worth traveling to a whole disparate universe that only exists in the corner of her mind? If it makes her feel delighted then yes. Since no one else seems to surmise the idea of having spirits in the house.

Book: Dangerous Spaces by Margaret Mahy

message 12: by Luisa (new)

Luisa Zarzosa | 5 comments Thirteen Reasons Why by Jay Asher

"My world was collapsing.I needed those notes .I needed any hope those notes might have offered.And you?You took that hope away.You decided I didn't deserve it."pg165 This is important because it shows how Hannah was giving up and the hope she so desperately needed was taken from her.

"A lot of you cared,just not enough.And that...is what I needed to find out.And I'm sorry"pg 280
This is when Hannah decided to finally take her life.Its important because it proves that a lot of the time we only miss and care about people when they are gone and we can't have them.In a way it's selfish because when someone dies we cry because they are not there to provide us with what they gave us be it a friendship,love,care,company.

"It may seem that every time someone offers you a hand up,they just let go and you slip further down.But you must stop ring so pessimistic...learn to trust those around you.So i do.One more time."pg 145 This is important because even with all the times Hannah's trust has been broken she trusts one more time only to get hurt again helping her make the choice if killing herself easier.

These quotes are important to the book because they prove that Hannah looked for hope without finding it.And each time she almost did it was taken from her which led her to take away the only thing he had control over in this case her life.

message 13: by Christopher (new)

Christopher | 6 comments Go ask Alice
"I wish I were popular and beautifull and wealthy and talented." This quote is important because it is the beginning of the story and shows that she will do anything to be popular or to be noticed by others. This quote represents the book because teens want to fit in to society and be like others.

"...10 out of the 14 bottles of coke had LSD in them..." "Wow I'm glad I'm one of the lucky ones"
This is important because it was her first time experience with drugs and she enjoyed the fact the she was able to try it.

"I finally smoked pot and it was even greater than I expected!"
I think this quote is important because it is the first time she (the author) tries another drug and after saying it was great, she is more likely to do it again.

These two quotes represent the book because they show how teens think drugs are great but they still don't know how bad it will affect their lives. Just because they want to fit in to society, can lead them to doing really dumb things that they will wish they had not done in the first place.

message 14: by Betuel (new)

Betuel Molina | 6 comments The maze runner
1.Different emotion battled for dominance in his mind and heart. Confusion. Curiosity. Panic. Fear. But laced through it all was the dark feeling of utter hopelessness, like the world had ended for him, had been wiped from his memory and replaced with something awful.
2."If you ain't scared,"alby said,"you ain't human. Act any different and I'd throw you off the cliff because it'd mean you're a pyscho."
3. At that moment, Thomas realized with a sickening lurch that he had no idea how old he was. His heart sank at the thought he was so lost he didn't even know his own age.

I think that these quotes are in the maze runner because the author wanted us to know what the characters were feeling and how scared they were.

message 15: by Andre (new)

Andre Lemus | 7 comments "Good-by-because, I love you."
This quote is important because it was said by both Robert & Edna so it represents the love they had for each other & why they couldn't be together.

"It doesn't matter about Leonce Pontiller she would give up the unessential but she would never sacrifice herself for her children."
This qoute reflects how Edna would never leave her husband or do anything to hurt her children because she loves them and wouldn't sacrifice anything for them.

message 16: by Andre (new)

Andre Lemus | 7 comments "She grew daring and reckless overestimating her strength she wanted to swim far out where no woman had swum before."
This qoute shows how Edna wanted more than just the life she had she wanted to experience true meaning and to do watt no other women had done before but eventually she overestimated herself and it lead to a life of recklessness and frustration.

message 17: by Diana (new)

Diana Cruz Book:Opposition by Jennifer Armentrout
"And it was really happening—it was the end of the world as we knew it, and I sure as hell didn’t feel fine. Everything had changed and we had been the catalyst for it all.”
This quote is important to the book because it represents how the main character's world changed from her every day routine to being one of the reasons why her world is ending.
“We were supposed to have tonight and tomorrow, and many weeks and months, but we didn't have even another minute.”
“I broke every rule of my kind to heal you and keep you with me. I married you and burned down an entire city to keep you safe. I’ve killed for you."
These quotes show the sacrifices and suffering that the main characters had to endure to be together and save their love.

message 18: by Aaron (new)

Aaron Dirso (xXSgtxPunish3rxx) | 6 comments Monument 14: Sky On Fire

"I slept hard and, hallelujah, I slept until I woke up of my own accord."- During this time of survival it's hard for people to find a good shelter where they can relax and not worry about things.

"Morning was never coming , it seemed."- No matter what time a watch indicates it is, it will always be dark out because all of these dangerous chemicals floating in the air have blocked out the sun.

"This bus is stocked!" "They were high-fiving one another, happy about their conquest."- People have to do the necessary things to survive, even if it means stealing food from others, and their chance of living.

That is why these quotes are important.

message 19: by Sydney (new)

Sydney Lopez | 11 comments "What ever our souls are made of, his and mine are the same"

(Update I have read further as I think this applies to the book a whole lot more so yeah.)

This quote describes and is what the whole book "After" is about, two people madly in love who have their hearts ripped out time and time again. The protagonists go through cycles of love hate but they are together after everything they've done wrong. They are meant to be together because they were made for each other.

message 20: by Julianne (new)

Julianne Meza | 4 comments Book: Hero by:Mike Lupica

1."Right there and then, Zach knew his dad wasn't coming home tonight. Wasn't coming home,ever."
This piece is important because this is when Zach Harriman finds out about his dads death. This starts off Zach's journey to find out the truth about his dad.

2."Zach said,"Dad you just got back. Now you gotta leave...when?""
Here is when Zach saw his dad last. This was the last time Zach and his dad talked.

3. "Looked down and saw something he'd never seen before...Clenched fists."
This is important because this is when Zach finds out about his strength. Zach starts to find out who he is and what he has after he ran into Spence.

message 21: by Marilyn (new)

Marilyn Melendez | 5 comments "It was the most amazing feeling in the world, to know that something right had happened, and to know that it happened not through luck or command but simply because it was right."

"No this was human-made history and here I was an infinitesimally small part of it. We all were."

"I'd always said the six last words, though. And today i said them extra loud, standing up. 'With liberty and justice for all.'"

These three quotes are important to the novel, Wide Awake, because it shows the change in Duncan's(main character) perspective as a homosexual. The man who became president was also homosexual. Therefore giving Duncan the sense of freedom and confidence that he needed in himself.

message 22: by Mauricio (new)

Mauricio Luna | 5 comments The fair boy said this solemnly;but then the delight oa realized ambition overcame him... "No grownups!"

He became conscious of the weight of clothes... pulled of his shirt,and stood there... and stood there naked,looking at the dazzling beach and the water.

"I don't care what they call me... so long they don't call me what they used to call me at school.

These three quotes are important. Because they show how much they wanted freedom and indipendens. Some of them wanted to start over. This island gave them exacly that.

message 23: by Sam (new)

Sam Rios | 7 comments 1.) "Jade pointed a slim finger at the woman, one of the hood's numerous crackheads with the characteristic jitters and haunted eyes that stare without seeing." This comment stands out to me because I'm not used to hearing or seeing crackheads and it's really interesting to me because it's something new to me. This represents the book because so far it involves a lot of drugs, gangs, and violence.

2.)""Im going to be gang banging for life. My husband's gonna be gang banging and the baby's gonna be gang banging!"..."When I be seventy-five years old," she hollered,"I'll still be a Crip!"" Once again, I like how it involves gangs because anything that is gang related is interesting to me and I like to know the story behind them. This quote represent the book by showing the gangs in L.A. that girls are involved in and are determined to.

3.) "If I come across some mother******' old Blood and she's still in it, I'll...I'll..." This stands out to me because it surprises me how much hatred each gang has against another. I know they don't like each other, but why? This represents the book by showing the violence they would go through just because they saw one another. In reality, girl gangs can be as bad or even worse than male gang members.

message 24: by Tomas (new)

Tomas Rodriguez | 6 comments "I want to be a Runner."

"I just...feel like I need to save everyone."

I promised him!" he screamed, realizing even as he did so that his voice was laced with something wrong. Almost insanity. "I promised I'd save him, take him home! I promised him!

These 3 quotations are important in the book "The Maze Runner" because they show that the main character Thomas feels obligated to find a way out of the maze for instance he first wished to be a runner. After finding a potential way out he felt as close as ever into finding a way out. He wanted to save everyone & get them out of the Maze. He made a promise to get chuck home. After getting mostly everyone out of the Maze & into the laboratory chuck is shot trying to protect Thomas. As a result, Thomas feels like he failed. Even though he did get everyone out, he failed to keep his promise to chuck. These quotes represent the book I'm reading because they show how Thomas goes through so much hardship in order for everyone to be safe.