Little Mouse Little Mouse discussion

The ending

Comments Showing 1-6 of 6 (6 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Patricia (new)

Patricia Mccarthy This little book is a really gripping read, the characters live as real and the situations appear real. Its a short read, so great for someone like me, as I am a slow reader, and I found it difficult to put it down. I wasn't totally happy about the ending, but then I don't think one is supposed to be. Its about real life, so often the purity of our intentions gets spoilt by the vicissitudes of life. What do others think of the ending?

message 2: by Judi (last edited Mar 15, 2015 06:35AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Judi Moore I left adding to this, in the hope that others would leap in. As I'm the author of the wee rodent I have sort of a vested interest in the ending. My defence of it is, that once the minyan went to the barn the story wrote itself and the outcome felt like the only one possible. I believe some writers control their characters. For good or ill, I always seem to be completely at the mercy of mine! I know several people who agree with you, Patricia. But what happens in the novella informs what happens when the boy has grown to manhood in the sequel. The legacy of war continues to be felt long after the war is over.

message 3: by Patricia (new)

Patricia Mccarthy Well, if your characters dictated it themselves, then you did the right thing. I wouldn't want you to interfere with them. Seems like I need to read the sequel, then!

Judi Moore The characters in the next book ('Is death really necessary?') dictated the end of that too. If you read it (no pressure - honest!) you'll see what I mean. Can't say any more - spoilers.

I have to say I like stroppy, insistent characters - makes one feel they have a life apart from the bit of it one has written. Makes them more real, less cardboardy.

message 5: by Patricia (new)

Patricia Mccarthy Indeed! if characters were too tame you would be writing chicklit. I will look out for sequel. I will check in amazon if its already published.

Judi Moore It is, indeed, on Amazon. I wrote it first. It's not only the characters that are a bit eccentric... :-)